Re: 2 Vista's, Linksys, can't share files-why?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Networking' started by Malke, Apr 2, 2009.

  1. Malke

    Malke Guest

    GaBoYnFla wrote:

    > *I HAVE TWO VISTA 32 BIT HOME PREMIUM COMPUTERS (ONE LAPTOP, ONE
    > DESKTOP), BOTH RUN NORTON ANTIVIRUS. I HAVE THE FIREWALLS TURNED OFF.
    > THEY ARE BEHIND A LINKSYS WRT54G ROUTER WITH WEP.*
    >
    > *I'VE SHARED THE FOLDERS IN EACH COMPUTER I WANT TO GET TO FROM THE
    > OTHER COMPUTERS BUT I CAN'T GET INTO EITHER COMPUTER. CAN SOMEONE TELL
    > ME HOW TO SET IT UP OR DIRECT ME TO A SIMPLE SETUP GUIDE?*

    Please do not type in all capital letters next time. On Usenet (where you
    are posting whethere you realize it or not) it is considered shouting,
    rude, and will limit your responses. I say this not to hurt your feelings
    but only to help you get the help you want.

    Here are general network troubleshooting steps. Not everything may be
    applicable to your situation, so just take the bits that are. It may look
    daunting, but if you follow the steps at the links and suggestions below
    systematically and calmly, you will have no difficulty in setting up your
    sharing.

    Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as files
    and folders:

    Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused
    by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful
    firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the
    built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having
    identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying
    to create shares where the operating system does not permit it.

    A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network (LAN)
    traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing File/Printer
    Sharing on the Exceptions tab. If you aren't running a third-party firewall
    or have an antivirus/security program with its own firewall component, then
    you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually configure the LAN
    allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254.
    Obviously you would substitute your correct subnet. Refer to any third
    party security program's Help or user forums for how to properly configure
    its firewall. Do not run more than one firewall. DO NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS;
    CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

    B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup. This
    is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

    C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not
    need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
    can do this:

    Vista - Start Orb>Search box>type: netplwiz [enter]
    Click on Continue (or supply an administrator's password) when prompted by
    UAC

    Uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
    computer". Select a user account to automatically log on by clicking on the
    desired account to highlight it and then hit OK. Enter the correct password
    for that user account (if there is one) when prompted. Leave it blank if
    there is no password (null).

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP