Raspberry Pi ... for £25

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Mind you I think I am talking to meself in this thread :lol:

Nope, not at all. I don't know enough abut Linux and all things Linux, so to save myself from making a complete squid of myself I don't post.
But I am learning a lot from the posts you make here and in your other Linux posts :thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
is not a criticism - what made you think it was?

Didn't. Thought you might have missed the fact it was self powered with low energy requirements. I'm not sure you could buy a cheap commercial alternative, was my point.Badly put perhaps.:cool:

rambling stream of consciousness,

Carefully crafted with hints of mystery and intrigue I was thinking.
fish.gif

Flops realised at an early age how gullible some folk are

Almost zero O levels and a flair for blagging. Media was a perfect choice of employment then.
Laughing.gif

Evan I'm touched
beer.gif

Oh an me camera has arrived. I'll be posting pics.
breakfast.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Darn I spent a frustrating afternoon trying to get the darn camera to work. Came to the conclusion that the Pi servers were having some problems.
So I'm going to have another try today.
Good news is the wi-fi dongle I bought works as plug and play, it found my wi-fi network at home straight away even though I had set it up in York. :thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Poxy Pi and camera still refusing to set up. Think most defo a problem with the Pi servers.

So to relive me frustration I sent this e-mail to RS who had sent me a Pi with a "Made in China" sticker on it. I really do despair of this modern way of doing stuff.

Hi I placed an order for a Pi and a camera unit invoice no. 1010272329 and they duly arrived. I was pretty disgusted to find that the Pi had a "made in china" sticker on it. I thought that with Pi's being made in Wales by Sony since last September I would get a made in England Pi.
Can you assure me that the Pi you sent me is the latest model and not some old stock.
To me it seems like madness that Pi's are made in my country yet I am being sent one that is made halfway across the world.
Thanks, E

Their reply which came lickety split

Thank you for your enquiry.

We are currently responding to all enquiries within three working days, and will be back to you as soon as possible

Thank you for your email.

RS Raspberry Pi team.

I wonder if the reply has to be sent via China :rolleyes:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
RS sent me a reply this morning,

Good Morning E,

I apologise for the delay in responding to your enquiry.

Our model A boards are currently made in the UK but the B board is currently being made in china, I can assure you that the board you received is the latest model and not old stock.

I apologise for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

Kind Regards,
Raspberry Pi

so I wrote back,

Hi Thanks for the reply. No inconvenience caused just puzzlement. Thanks E.

Don't you just love progress. :lol:

An in between loads of appointments I am still here on day four trying to get the camera unit working.
Me mum kept on telling me that god gave me a brain trouble is she never told me where the instructions were. :lol:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/4062

Back in the 21st century, Derek Knaggs has made the thing of my dreams: a low cost, low maintenance, general purpose car computer. There are other Pi-based car computers about but we especially liked this one because it’s simple, cheap and it looks like a factory fit. Very smart.
Neat I want one. If only I had a modern smart phone. :lol:

T9BCCsm.jpg

Meanwhile here is the first ever picture I have taken with my Pi cmaera. Taken indoors with low light and no extra lighting.It don't look too bad considering. Looks better than me Cannon Powershot. :cool:

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Onlin...a-Portable-Android-based-Raspberry-Pi-Station

The Android device in this setup acts both as a wireless hotspot and a display for Raspberry Pi. The latter is configured to automatically connect to the Wi-Fi network created by the Android device.

Thought I would post the above in case anyone is too poor to own a car. :lol:

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Had a tear in my eye as I said goodbye to my first ever Pi.

It did not die. I decided to give it to my friend who has just got married. A strange wedding present you may think but what do you give to someone who has everything.

So Pi One is winging its way to El Salvador as that is where his bride is from originally. She has been living in the UK for the last forty years and they have been an item for twenty years or so. As they were both sixty this year they thought they had better get married before they were to old to enjoy the honeymoon.

I set up the Pi with the new NOOBS os and installed Raspbian on a 4 GB card and downloaded all 14 issues of the MagPi magazine along with several other educational pdfs and a text file containing some helpful tips on setting up the Pi with different monitors/tv's and some help with using omxplayer and cmus.

Along with the Pi I donated a case, hdim and old style yellow plug tv cable, two prong mains adapter, usb sd card reader, bluetooth dongle, a couple of short usb cables, a 1 GB sd card with the MagPi's etc. a red/white plugged audio cable and me mate bought the powered usb hub of me that I was using to show him how the Pi worked, I could not afford to donate the hub is why he bought it of me.All of this packed neatly into a 9"x9" cardboard box which he was going to pack in his hand luggage to save the Pi from rattling around in a cargo hold.

At present my friend and his bride are helping support two family members with finance to help them through the education system. A few quid here and there make a vast difference to some folks lives in other parts of the world. I do not know where the Pi will end up, in a family members hands or donated to a local school or youth group. I know that there will not be another Pi in the local area and am hopeful that it will find its way into the hands of someone who will do something useful with it.

I'll post if I get any news.
breakfast.gif

Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Raspberry Pi Wireless Inventors Kit Review

RasWIK introduction

The Wireless Inventors Kit for the Raspberry Pi (RasWIK) is an exciting and affordable way to build your own wireless devices with the Raspberry Pi. The hardware comes preloaded with software and there are applications to run on your Pi. The RasWIK demonstrates that with our leading edge technology anyone (we do mean anyone) can build wireless sensors and actuators. You do not need huge experience, a degree or even any tools. We show you how to connect the devices you build to your Pi and even to “the Internet of Things” (IoT) with service providers such as Xively.
Super neat add-on for the Pi.
good2.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.raspberry...g/archives/5048

We’ve talked before about how the camera board and the Model A are natural bedfellows. Whether you’re shooting a time lapse video or hollowing out a sweet, innocent teddy bear, the 256MB of RAM on the Model A is easily sufficient to run raspistill and raspivid, and the much lower power consumption gives you a lot more battery life for mobile applications. To allow more of you to have a play with this combination, we’ve got together with our partners to offer the two together for the bargain price of $40.

Cheap as chips. They are £26.50 ish at UK dealers.

http://store.raspber...ojects/nxengine

Doukutsu Monogatari (Cave Story) takes place within the cavernous interior of a floating island. The island is populated by Mimigas, a race of sentient, rabbit-like humanoids.
You awaken in the cave with no memory of how you came to be there. Through your explorations you discover a plot by the evil "Doctor" who intends to enslave the Mamigas and force them to fight for him in his bid to conquer the world.
This is really one of those games that can be considered a masterpiece of game design. There are so many wonderful and classic gaming elements here.

60 fps running on the Pi. it has to be worth a free download.

breakfast.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Hackable media-streaming speaker does HiFi with tubes

Tubecore’s “Duo” wireless media-streaming speaker embeds a Raspberry Pi or Udoo SBC, and features Bluetooth and WiFi, plus a 48v Class A analog-tube preamp.

The above is a tad expensive so this may be of more interest to most folk.

Raspberry Pi gains Wolfson HD audio card

Newark Element14 and Wolfson have launched an HD-ready Wolfson Audio Card for the Raspberry Pi with 192kHz sampling, MEMS mics, and I/O including S/PDIF.

The Wolfson Audio Card extends and enhances the Linux-ready Raspberry Pi’s audio features beyond its native HDMI output with onboard HD audio and a variety of interfaces. Raspberry Pi manufacturer Premier Farnell has the exclusive contract for the add-on, and is distributing it through its subsidiaries, including Newark Element14 in North America, Farnell Element14 in Europe, CPC in the UK, and Element14 in Asia Pacific. The Wolfson Audio Card sells for $33.62 and works with Raspberry Pi Rev2 Model A or B single board computers that include P5 pads for connecting the daughtercard.

breakfast.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Stuck with how to use your Pi ? Have a look below as it says it would make a decent present for that not to be mentioned occasion that is looming in the distant future. :thumb:
Robots, quadcopters, retro games machines, home theatres, motion detectors, Bitcoin farms and more

Our friends over in the Bookazine department have made something really special – the first edition of Raspberry Pi Annual – and just in time for **************, too!
http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/news/raspberry-pi-annual-on-sale-today

Now this is really interesting and looks easy peasy.

The themes of a lot of our Raspberry Pi guides revolve around the size and portability of the Pi itself, lending it to tasks you may have used a full-sized or small computer for in the past that the Pi can now take over. Having your own private cloud is another excellent use of the Raspberry Pi’s capabilities, because you can store it hidden away somewhere and it will require very little day- to-day maintenance.
http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/tutorials/raspberry-pi-private-cloud

:dance:

There is also this fine software for making Pi clouds which is even easier to use than the above. It is let down a tad as you hardly have to use the command line.:lol:

http://syncloud.org/

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Pi in the sky: High altitude ballooning with Raspberry Pi

Another useful property of the Raspberry Pi is its weight–the Model B weighs 45 grams, and the Model A+ just 23 grams. This comes in very handy for sending a data logger, GPS tracker, and camera up into the sky on a helium balloon! That's exactly what amateur high altitude balloonist Dave Akerman has been doing since 2012.

I thought this was going to be an article about Ian's exploits when I first saw it. :cool:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
APPLE Pi

Charles Mangin makes a hobby out of creating miniature retro computers, and he’s certainly outdone himself with the retro Apple 3D printed with a Raspberry Pi insideCharles Mangin makes a hobby out of creating miniature retro computers, and he’s certainly outdone himself with the retro Apple 3D printed with a Raspberry Pi inside

Laughing.gif
Laughing.gif
Laughing.gif
Laughing.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Weekend Reading: Raspberry Pi Projects

Some great Pi reading in the link.

Linux on Raspberry Pi: SUSE support turns $35 board into enterprise IoT platform

SUSE rolls out full commercial support for its SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP3 (SLES) Raspberry Pi image.

PowerBlock – a Raspberry Pi Power Switch

The PowerBlock is a Raspberry Pi Power Switch. It is an extension board for your Raspberry Pi™. It allows you to conveniently turn on and off the power to the Raspberry Pi with a toggle switch. Instead of just cutting the supply voltage with the risk of data loss the PowerBlock it communicates with the Pi and ensures a clean shutdown when the switch is turned to off.

:cool:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Piventory: LJ Tech Editor's Personal Stash of Raspberry Pis and Other Single-Board Computers

Occasionally, I'll hear people talk about how they have a Raspberry Pi or some other small computer lying around, but they haven't figured out quite what to do with it yet. And it always shocks me, because I have a house full of those small computers doing all sorts of things, so in this article, I describe my personal "Piventory"—an inventory of all of the little low-power computers that stay running around my house. So if you're struggling to figure out what to do with your own Raspberry Pi, maybe this article will give you some inspiration.

breakfast.gif

Ask a Question