Raspberry Pi ... for £25

Reaction score
shows that you can get a basic pc for the cost of a night out.
add a monitor, kb & mouse and your up and running for as little as £50.
this is very good for the consumer.:thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to seeing these more widely available - it's going to be great for students, but I can imagine there will be a huge modding community springing up. Super cheap TV media player/streaming etc...

Once it's available to buy more easily, I'll be picking one up :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I read there will be another model coming out in 2 or 3 months priced at £16 rather than the £22 for the current model.

I have accounts with RS & Farnell so I might just get one to have a looksee.

Not wanting to get political but with employment prospects looking bleak right now and for the future if this gizmo teaches some young folk to program and they get jobs then this has got to be a good thing.

It's almost bizarre that work is so hard to come by yet the industry is crying out for programmers.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
shows that you can get a basic pc for the cost of a night out.
add a monitor, kb & mouse and your up and running for as little as £50.
this is very good for the consumer.:thumb:

You can get several different os's for free. An you could buy three of these for the price of Windows 8 :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to seeing these more widely available - it's going to be great for students, but I can imagine there will be a huge modding community springing up. Super cheap TV media player/streaming etc...

Once it's available to buy more easily, I'll be picking one up :D

You can put your name down on the two sites to register interest which is a wise thing to do if you want one as the first batch sold out in an hour. I have registered interest as I think they sound great.

http://gizmodo.com/5889245/five-things-you-can-do-with-the-new-raspberry-pi

:thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
That says 25$ not pounds

Even saying that 25$ is still cheaper than our supposed 22£

Typical rip off Britain huh?

@ todays rates that equates too 25.00 USD = 15.8979 GBP

Modle A $25

Modle B $35

It is the B that is being shipped at present :cool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It will be £21.60 + VAT at RS, not sure which version that will be, presumably the 'A' Link

I've found in the past just about everything is cheaper in America and generally speaking if it costs $100 in the USA then it will cost £100 in the UK. The currency conversion doesn't really come into it, that's just the way it is.

I might just buy me one of those pies, could be fun making a custom enclosure and it's small size is a plus point.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
It will be £21.60 + VAT at RS, not sure which version that will be, presumably the 'A' Link

I've found in the past just about everything is cheaper in America and generally speaking if it costs $100 in the USA then it will cost £100 in the UK. The currency conversion doesn't really come into it, that's just the way it is.

I might just buy me one of those pies, could be fun making a custom enclosure and it's small size is a plus point.

That is the B model :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Just placed me order at £29.46 inc vat and postage, an maybe a free tee shirt.

Oh goody goody :D

Reaction score
I'm thinking of electrical taping one of these to the back of a 20" LCD so I can watch web-casts in my kitchen on something a bit bigger than my tiny netbook screen :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Not in stock yet at RS or Farnell although it seems you can pre-order. Both say 'stock expected soon'.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I'm thinking of electrical taping one of these to the back of a 20" LCD so I can watch web-casts in my kitchen on something a bit bigger than my tiny netbook screen :)

I am thinking of linking one to a scanner and a tv and having the scanned output read out loud by the text program and seen on screen.
So blind or partially sighted folk could scan letters etc.
Most folk have a tv so with the addition of a type A Raspberry £20 'ish and a cheap scanner/printer £30 'ish you have a cheap and cheerful equivalent to the Blind Society's several hundred pounds talking scanner.

I recon it is possible. Whether I can do it is in the lap of the gods :D

Ask a Question