    I using the system for video editing, Office work, and Flight
    Simulator.

    Thanks for any suggestions.

    Ron, Sep 1, 2003

  2. Ron

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Previously Ron <> wrote:
    > I'm setting up an XP RAID 0 system with 3 drives, two 10k Raptors
    > (RAID), and a 7200 RPM 80gig drive.
    > Should I put the OS on the RAID Raptors and use the 80gig for backing
    > up the RAID volume?
    > Or should I put XP on the 80 gig non-RAID drive and devote the
    > remainder of the drive (another partition) to backing up the RAID
    > twins, which would contain applications and data.
    > I using the system for video editing, Office work, and Flight
    > Simulator.

    I would put the OS on the other disk. For video editng
    you need fast transfer rates. The OS and applications are
    more balanced between access time and transfer rate. And
    any access to the OS/applications would signficantly slow
    down the RAIDed disks.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Sep 1, 2003

  3. Ron

    Skyking Guest

    So your suggesting putting the OS on the non-RAID drive?

    And applications like Office or Flight Sim?

    Skyking, Sep 1, 2003
  4. Ron

    Eric Gisin Guest

    Forget RAID 0, put the OS on a single Raptor. Get a third external drive for
    backup.

    Eric Gisin, Sep 1, 2003
  5. Ron

    Skyking Guest

    That's exactly what I decided to do: Not going with RAID now. I decided I
    have enough headaches in my life for now.

    Skyking, Sep 1, 2003
  6. "Skyking" <> wrote in message news:j2M4b.105761$kP.41792@fed1read03
    > So your suggesting putting the OS on the non-RAID drive?

    No, he is obviously suggesting that video editing was never ever possible
    until the Raptors came out this year and then only when used in RAID0.

    Folkert Rienstra, Sep 1, 2003
  7. Ron

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Previously Skyking <> wrote:
    > So your suggesting putting the OS on the non-RAID drive?

    Yes. Better reliability and much less interference
    with the video-editing software. If it where only
    two disks, I would advise puttoing OS and video
    editing on separate disks.

    > And applications like Office or Flight Sim?

    The non-RAID disk as well, because of reliability.
    They will not benefit much from a faster disk anyway.
    But this is non-critical, unless video-editing and
    other applications are run at the same time, in which
    case they should not be on the same disk as the video
    files.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Sep 2, 2003