Radeon 9600XT and madden 2005 problems.

Discussion in 'ATI Video Cards' started by Jeff, Oct 2, 2004.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Hi.

    I have the 9600xt and madden 2005 freezes after playing for a while.
    A couple times, I got it to go back to the desktop by hitting the
    windows button on the keyboard. When I did, it had a screen up saying
    VPU recover has reset the video driver. Sometimes, it will simply
    lock up with the sound in an endless loop, and I have to reboot, other
    times, it will reboot automatically. Other times, when I get it to go
    back to the desk top, I can then maximize the game again and it will
    continue working. Some have said that I need to shut off the
    second monitor option but I don't know how. I only use one monitor.
    In device manager, it has two cards listed, with one saying
    "secondary" in the title. I have tried everything. I have updated
    the MB bios, used the catalyst new 4.9, and even went back to 4.8
    because the notes in Madden say it works with that version. I have
    switched sound card drivers, I have disabled agp fast writes, I have
    tried so many things. I had service PACK 2 INSTALLED FOR XP, SO i
    UNINSTALLED THAT, STILL NO CHANGE.

    Please, can anyone give me some suggestions? Madden also says in is
    not compatible with "ATI smoothvision" How do I turn of the second
    monitor option, and what is smoothvision?

    Please help!!

    Thanks

    Jeff

    System

    Asus p4sdx with 512 of corsair ram in dual channel mode
    Audigy platinum sound (I have used both the kx project drivers, and
    the creative drivers, no change)
    80 gig drives.
    Pentium 4 2.0 ghz

    Jeff, Oct 2, 2004

  2. Jeff

    johns Guest

    Under SmartGart, turn off fast writes AND set AGP
    to 4x. You have to do both, or you will crash in modern
    games. Put SP2 back on. If SP2 firewall says anything
    about a program trying to talk out, deny it, and check
    that it is legit. I suspect that if you remove anything, it
    should be to uninstall the ATI drivers, and do a search
    for any remnants of those drivers, and delete them.
    Then put 4.8 on. I assume you loaded your chipset
    drivers during the OS install. If not, WinXP might
    go get them first time you connect out, so several reboots
    may bring the system performance up a lot. I see that
    all the time. AV goes without question.

    johns

    johns, Oct 2, 2004

  3. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 10:54:35 -0700, "johns" <>
    wrote:

    >Under SmartGart, turn off fast writes AND set AGP
    >to 4x. You have to do both, or you will crash in modern
    >games. Put SP2 back on. If SP2 firewall says anything
    >about a program trying to talk out, deny it, and check
    >that it is legit. I suspect that if you remove anything, it
    >should be to uninstall the ATI drivers, and do a search
    >for any remnants of those drivers, and delete them.
    >Then put 4.8 on. I assume you loaded your chipset
    >drivers during the OS install. If not, WinXP might
    >go get them first time you connect out, so several reboots
    >may bring the system performance up a lot. I see that
    >all the time. AV goes without question.
    >
    >johns

    Thanks for the reply, but I have had two freezes since trying your
    suggestions. I can't say that I'm upset, cause I wouldn't be too
    happy if I paid money for a 8x card that can use fast write, but
    couldn't use it at 8x. Shouldn't I get real mad at ATI if my 8x card
    has to be run at 4x and no fast writes?

    Anyway, I have done what you have suggested, and I am still testing,
    but it froze once while playing alone, and once while playing on the
    internet. I am out of things to try.
    any more suggestions?

    Thanks

    Jeff, Oct 3, 2004
  4. Jeff

    Good Man Guest

    Jeff <> wrote in news:rtotl0hlhm4ilkeu0d57rr7jfte150qese@
    4ax.com:

    > Hi.
    >
    > I have the 9600xt and madden 2005 freezes after playing for a while.
    > A couple times, I got it to go back to the desktop by hitting the
    > windows button on the keyboard. When I did, it had a screen up saying
    > VPU recover has reset the video driver. Sometimes, it will simply
    > lock up with the sound in an endless loop, and I have to reboot, other
    > times, it will reboot automatically. Other times, when I get it to go
    > back to the desk top, I can then maximize the game again and it will
    > continue working. Some have said that I need to shut off the
    > second monitor option but I don't know how. I only use one monitor.
    > In device manager, it has two cards listed, with one saying
    > "secondary" in the title. I have tried everything. I have updated
    > the MB bios, used the catalyst new 4.9, and even went back to 4.8
    > because the notes in Madden say it works with that version. I have
    > switched sound card drivers, I have disabled agp fast writes, I have
    > tried so many things. I had service PACK 2 INSTALLED FOR XP, SO i
    > UNINSTALLED THAT, STILL NO CHANGE.
    >
    > Please, can anyone give me some suggestions? Madden also says in is
    > not compatible with "ATI smoothvision" How do I turn of the second
    > monitor option, and what is smoothvision?

    i can offer the following pointers:

    a) you can't turn off the 'secondary monitor' listed in hardware
    manager, because your video card has two monitor outputs. it will
    always be listed.

    b) turn off VPU recover

    c) go to my computer/properties... under "advanced" then "startup and
    recovery" "settings" uncheck "automatically restart" - when you
    crash, at least you will get some info about what went wrong. then
    later you can go and look at your system alerts, which will further
    describe what exactly crashed (might in fact be nothing video-card
    related)

    d) dunno about the fast-write, 4x stuff that has been suggested.. the
    card should work fine at 8x on your board

    e) smoothvision is anti-aliasing/anistropic filtering(sp)... turn it all
    off.

    good luck. if nothing else works, try Madden 2004 ;)

    Good Man, Oct 3, 2004
  5. Jeff

    Lynne Guest

    "Good Man" <> wrote in message
    > Jeff <> wrote in news:rtotl0hlhm4ilkeu0d57rr7jfte150qese@
    > 4ax.com:
    >
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> I have the 9600xt and madden 2005 freezes after playing for a while.
    >> A couple times, I got it to go back to the desktop by hitting the
    >> windows button on the keyboard. When I did, it had a screen up saying
    >> VPU recover has reset the video driver. Sometimes, it will simply
    >> lock up with the sound in an endless loop, and I have to reboot, other
    >> times, it will reboot automatically. Other times, when I get it to go
    >> back to the desk top, I can then maximize the game again and it will
    >> continue working. Some have said that I need to shut off the
    >> second monitor option but I don't know how. I only use one monitor.
    >> In device manager, it has two cards listed, with one saying
    >> "secondary" in the title. I have tried everything. I have updated
    >> the MB bios, used the catalyst new 4.9, and even went back to 4.8
    >> because the notes in Madden say it works with that version. I have
    >> switched sound card drivers, I have disabled agp fast writes, I have
    >> tried so many things. I had service PACK 2 INSTALLED FOR XP, SO i
    >> UNINSTALLED THAT, STILL NO CHANGE.
    >>
    >> Please, can anyone give me some suggestions? Madden also says in is
    >> not compatible with "ATI smoothvision" How do I turn of the second
    >> monitor option, and what is smoothvision?

    > i can offer the following pointers:
    >
    > a) you can't turn off the 'secondary monitor' listed in hardware
    > manager, because your video card has two monitor outputs. it will
    > always be listed.
    >
    > b) turn off VPU recover
    >
    > c) go to my computer/properties... under "advanced" then "startup and
    > recovery" "settings" uncheck "automatically restart" - when you
    > crash, at least you will get some info about what went wrong. then
    > later you can go and look at your system alerts, which will further
    > describe what exactly crashed (might in fact be nothing video-card
    > related)
    >
    > d) dunno about the fast-write, 4x stuff that has been suggested.. the
    > card should work fine at 8x on your board
    >
    > e) smoothvision is anti-aliasing/anistropic filtering(sp)... turn it all
    > off.
    >

    > good luck. if nothing else works, try Madden 2004 ;)

    Mmmm very odd! Madden 2005 for the PC doesn't come out till the 15th
    October!
    If your using a pirate copy, then that perhaps may be your main problem. In
    the U.S where the software was released early, they became aware of the
    issue of conflicting problems with graphics cards. The UK release may have
    had further testing in order to resolve the situ, hence such a late release
    date after the game was released on other platforms.
    If you do have a pucker copy then I apologies most sincerely.

    For me, I'm popping out to get my copy tomorrow from one of the shops in the
    London/Sussex area.

    Lynne, Oct 14, 2004
  6. Jeff

    Andrew Guest

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 19:38:02 +0100, "Lynne" <>
    wrote:

    >Mmmm very odd! Madden 2005 for the PC doesn't come out till the 15th
    >October!

    The OP is in the US, don't assume everyone on Usenet is in the same
    country as you and that games are released everywhere at the same
    time.

    Andrew, Oct 14, 2004
  7. Jeff

    Lynne Guest

    > On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 19:38:02 +0100, "Lynne" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Mmmm very odd! Madden 2005 for the PC doesn't come out till the 15th
    >>October!

    > The OP is in the US, don't assume everyone on Usenet is in the same
    > country as you and that games are released everywhere at the same
    > time.
    > --

    Jeff
    Have you got the 7meg patch for the game it might help? It should show that
    Madden software is version 4. Don't know if that helps. Got the game today
    (15th) and the game is running very smoothly with no visual problems, with
    the patch added b4 tinkering!!

    Lynne, Oct 16, 2004