    nothing obviously amiss.) Reluctant to bin it ... ;-(

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Apr 24, 2009

  2. Terry Pinnell

    BigH2K Guest

    "Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > This is a bit of a longshot for both newsgroups but maybe one of the
    > experts here has at some time used the INTEL Digital Blue QX3
    > Microscope and can offer some advice please?
    >
    > Years ago I used this successfully on an old W98 PC. With that machine
    > recently consigned to the local tip, today I dusted off the pristine
    > looking QX3 and tried it on my two remaining PCs. After re-installing
    > with the 97 MB 'XP update' downloaded from INTEL, I get similar
    > problems on both my AMD Athlon XP1800 (XP Home) and my Quad Core Q9450
    > 2.66 GHz (XP Pro). In both cases the device just doesn't seem to
    > exist. I get messages telling me to it's not plugged in when I try to
    > run the QX3 viewing software. And I can't see it in Device Manager.
    >
    > It's intended for kids from 5 upwards (I qualify) so made to last. But
    > must I conclude that, despite its robustness it's a hardware fault,
    > as the trouble-shooting guide appears to imply? And that there's
    > nothing left to try? (I removed its 9 retaining screws but could see
    > nothing obviously amiss.) Reluctant to bin it ... ;-(
    >
    > --
    > Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    I've installed these at one of my schools and had them working flawlessly
    under XP. I've just searched through my drivers disc wallet and can't find a
    disc for it so I assume I dl the drivers from Intel, it's been a few years.
    ISTR that i had a similar problem, is the software supposed to be installed
    before connecting the deveice? Possible I installed it in safe mode.

    Anyhoo, my point is it does work under XP so don't give up, if I remember
    I'll have a look at it when I go into school next Thursday and so if I can't
    suss out how it's done.

    BigH2K, Apr 24, 2009

  3. Terry Pinnell

    Grinder Guest

    Terry Pinnell wrote:
    > This is a bit of a longshot for both newsgroups but maybe one of the
    > experts here has at some time used the INTEL Digital Blue QX3
    > Microscope and can offer some advice please?
    >
    > Years ago I used this successfully on an old W98 PC. With that machine
    > recently consigned to the local tip, today I dusted off the pristine
    > looking QX3 and tried it on my two remaining PCs. After re-installing
    > with the 97 MB 'XP update' downloaded from INTEL, I get similar
    > problems on both my AMD Athlon XP1800 (XP Home) and my Quad Core Q9450
    > 2.66 GHz (XP Pro). In both cases the device just doesn't seem to
    > exist. I get messages telling me to it's not plugged in when I try to
    > run the QX3 viewing software. And I can't see it in Device Manager.
    >
    > It's intended for kids from 5 upwards (I qualify) so made to last. But
    > must I conclude that, despite its robustness it's a hardware fault,
    > as the trouble-shooting guide appears to imply? And that there's
    > nothing left to try? (I removed its 9 retaining screws but could see
    > nothing obviously amiss.) Reluctant to bin it ... ;-(

    I had one of those. It looks cool and *is* cool. It would be
    interesting to see if a utility like USBView can see the device when
    it's plugged in. As far as I know, you don't have to have the proper
    drivers for it to be visible there. If it's not, that I would suspect
    something's wrong with the device.

    http://www.ftdichip.com/Resources/Utilities.htm

    Grinder, Apr 24, 2009
  4. "BigH2K" <> wrote:

    >"Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message
    >> This is a bit of a longshot for both newsgroups but maybe one of the
    >> experts here has at some time used the INTEL Digital Blue QX3
    >> Microscope and can offer some advice please?
    >>
    >> Years ago I used this successfully on an old W98 PC. With that machine
    >> recently consigned to the local tip, today I dusted off the pristine
    >> looking QX3 and tried it on my two remaining PCs. After re-installing
    >> with the 97 MB 'XP update' downloaded from INTEL, I get similar
    >> problems on both my AMD Athlon XP1800 (XP Home) and my Quad Core Q9450
    >> 2.66 GHz (XP Pro). In both cases the device just doesn't seem to
    >> exist. I get messages telling me to it's not plugged in when I try to
    >> run the QX3 viewing software. And I can't see it in Device Manager.
    >>
    >> It's intended for kids from 5 upwards (I qualify) so made to last. But
    >> must I conclude that, despite its robustness it's a hardware fault,
    >> as the trouble-shooting guide appears to imply? And that there's
    >> nothing left to try? (I removed its 9 retaining screws but could see
    >> nothing obviously amiss.) Reluctant to bin it ... ;-(
    >>
    >> --
    >> Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    >I've installed these at one of my schools and had them working flawlessly
    >under XP. I've just searched through my drivers disc wallet and can't find a
    >disc for it so I assume I dl the drivers from Intel, it's been a few years.
    >ISTR that i had a similar problem, is the software supposed to be installed
    >before connecting the deveice? Possible I installed it in safe mode.
    >
    >Anyhoo, my point is it does work under XP so don't give up, if I remember
    >I'll have a look at it when I go into school next Thursday and so if I can't
    >suss out how it's done.

    Thanks, that's reassuring. Although in my case I seem to have
    exhausted all the obvious approaches. I will try again in Safe mode
    too, as I hadn't thought of that. If only the USB cable wasn't
    hard-wired I'd try replacing that, as all the evidence appears to be
    of a 'dead' device - no light, not recognised by the software.

    So much for Plug 'n Play ...

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Apr 24, 2009
  5. Terry Pinnell

    Grinder Guest

    Terry Pinnell wrote:
    > "BigH2K" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message
    >>> This is a bit of a longshot for both newsgroups but maybe one of the
    >>> experts here has at some time used the INTEL Digital Blue QX3
    >>> Microscope and can offer some advice please?
    >>>
    >>> Years ago I used this successfully on an old W98 PC. With that machine
    >>> recently consigned to the local tip, today I dusted off the pristine
    >>> looking QX3 and tried it on my two remaining PCs. After re-installing
    >>> with the 97 MB 'XP update' downloaded from INTEL, I get similar
    >>> problems on both my AMD Athlon XP1800 (XP Home) and my Quad Core Q9450
    >>> 2.66 GHz (XP Pro). In both cases the device just doesn't seem to
    >>> exist. I get messages telling me to it's not plugged in when I try to
    >>> run the QX3 viewing software. And I can't see it in Device Manager.
    >>>
    >>> It's intended for kids from 5 upwards (I qualify) so made to last. But
    >>> must I conclude that, despite its robustness it's a hardware fault,
    >>> as the trouble-shooting guide appears to imply? And that there's
    >>> nothing left to try? (I removed its 9 retaining screws but could see
    >>> nothing obviously amiss.) Reluctant to bin it ... ;-(
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    >> I've installed these at one of my schools and had them working flawlessly
    >> under XP. I've just searched through my drivers disc wallet and can't find a
    >> disc for it so I assume I dl the drivers from Intel, it's been a few years.
    >> ISTR that i had a similar problem, is the software supposed to be installed
    >> before connecting the deveice? Possible I installed it in safe mode.
    >>
    >> Anyhoo, my point is it does work under XP so don't give up, if I remember
    >> I'll have a look at it when I go into school next Thursday and so if I can't
    >> suss out how it's done.
    >>

    > Thanks, that's reassuring. Although in my case I seem to have
    > exhausted all the obvious approaches. I will try again in Safe mode
    > too, as I hadn't thought of that. If only the USB cable wasn't
    > hard-wired I'd try replacing that, as all the evidence appears to be
    > of a 'dead' device - no light, not recognised by the software.
    >
    > So much for Plug 'n Play ...

    $29 is significantly more than zero, but you can still get a QX3:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Nice-Intel-Play-QX3-USB-Microscope-FREE-FEDEX-GROUND_W0QQitemZ120411175385QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item120411175385&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A200

    Grinder, Apr 24, 2009
  6. Terry Pinnell

    Paul Guest

    Terry Pinnell wrote:
    > "BigH2K" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message
    >>> This is a bit of a longshot for both newsgroups but maybe one of the
    >>> experts here has at some time used the INTEL Digital Blue QX3
    >>> Microscope and can offer some advice please?
    >>>
    >>> Years ago I used this successfully on an old W98 PC. With that machine
    >>> recently consigned to the local tip, today I dusted off the pristine
    >>> looking QX3 and tried it on my two remaining PCs. After re-installing
    >>> with the 97 MB 'XP update' downloaded from INTEL, I get similar
    >>> problems on both my AMD Athlon XP1800 (XP Home) and my Quad Core Q9450
    >>> 2.66 GHz (XP Pro). In both cases the device just doesn't seem to
    >>> exist. I get messages telling me to it's not plugged in when I try to
    >>> run the QX3 viewing software. And I can't see it in Device Manager.
    >>>
    >>> It's intended for kids from 5 upwards (I qualify) so made to last. But
    >>> must I conclude that, despite its robustness it's a hardware fault,
    >>> as the trouble-shooting guide appears to imply? And that there's
    >>> nothing left to try? (I removed its 9 retaining screws but could see
    >>> nothing obviously amiss.) Reluctant to bin it ... ;-(
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    >> I've installed these at one of my schools and had them working flawlessly
    >> under XP. I've just searched through my drivers disc wallet and can't find a
    >> disc for it so I assume I dl the drivers from Intel, it's been a few years.
    >> ISTR that i had a similar problem, is the software supposed to be installed
    >> before connecting the deveice? Possible I installed it in safe mode.
    >>
    >> Anyhoo, my point is it does work under XP so don't give up, if I remember
    >> I'll have a look at it when I go into school next Thursday and so if I can't
    >> suss out how it's done.
    >>

    > Thanks, that's reassuring. Although in my case I seem to have
    > exhausted all the obvious approaches. I will try again in Safe mode
    > too, as I hadn't thought of that. If only the USB cable wasn't
    > hard-wired I'd try replacing that, as all the evidence appears to be
    > of a 'dead' device - no light, not recognised by the software.
    >
    > So much for Plug 'n Play ...

    Try looking for it with UVCView. This used to be on the Microsoft site,
    but was taken down. It looks like this archived copy is fixed now.
    It has the right size (167,232 bytes) and md5sum = 93244d84d79314898e62d21cecc4ca5e
    compared to the copy I got a few years ago.

    http://web.archive.org/web/20070307...f-a31d-436b-9281-92cdfeae4b45/UVCView.x86.exe

    What the program should do, is display config data coming from a USB device.
    Depending on whether the USB device supports USB1.1 or USB2, that determine
    where in the entries it is placed. If you can see your device when it is plugged
    in, then the hardware is probably working.

    You could get similar information from Device Manager, but the
    display on UVCView may be a bit easier to deal with. With Device
    Manager, there are hidden devices and the like.

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 24, 2009
  7. Terry Pinnell

    andrew Guest

    > Thanks, that's reassuring. Although in my case I seem to have
    > exhausted all the obvious approaches. I will try again in Safe mode
    > too, as I hadn't thought of that. If only the USB cable wasn't
    > hard-wired I'd try replacing that, as all the evidence appears to be
    > of a 'dead' device - no light, not recognised by the software.
    >
    > So much for Plug 'n Play ...

    I have this microscope and it is running in XP, IIRC it needed to be
    installed with a disk

    There is still some online documentation at

    http://support.intel.com/support/intelplay/qx3/index.htm

    I'll look for an instal cd if you have no luck

    AJH

    andrew, Apr 24, 2009
  8. Paul <> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >> "BigH2K" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message

    >>> I've installed these at one of my schools and had them working flawlessly
    >>> under XP. I've just searched through my drivers disc wallet and can't find a
    >>> disc for it so I assume I dl the drivers from Intel, it's been a few years.
    >>> ISTR that i had a similar problem, is the software supposed to be installed
    >>> before connecting the deveice? Possible I installed it in safe mode.
    >>>
    >>> Anyhoo, my point is it does work under XP so don't give up, if I remember
    >>> I'll have a look at it when I go into school next Thursday and so if I can't
    >>> suss out how it's done.
    >>>

    >> Thanks, that's reassuring. Although in my case I seem to have
    >> exhausted all the obvious approaches. I will try again in Safe mode
    >> too, as I hadn't thought of that. If only the USB cable wasn't
    >> hard-wired I'd try replacing that, as all the evidence appears to be
    >> of a 'dead' device - no light, not recognised by the software.
    >>
    >> So much for Plug 'n Play ...
    >>

    >Try looking for it with UVCView. This used to be on the Microsoft site,
    >but was taken down. It looks like this archived copy is fixed now.
    >It has the right size (167,232 bytes) and md5sum = 93244d84d79314898e62d21cecc4ca5e
    >compared to the copy I got a few years ago.
    >
    >http://web.archive.org/web/20070307...f-a31d-436b-9281-92cdfeae4b45/UVCView.x86.exe
    >
    >What the program should do, is display config data coming from a USB device.
    >Depending on whether the USB device supports USB1.1 or USB2, that determine
    >where in the entries it is placed. If you can see your device when it is plugged
    >in, then the hardware is probably working.
    >
    >You could get similar information from Device Manager, but the
    >display on UVCView may be a bit easier to deal with. With Device
    >Manager, there are hidden devices and the like.
    >
    > Paul

    Thanks all, those follow-ups have helped me make some encouraging
    progress. I installed both tools but see that UVCView is the latest
    version so I've settled on that. Initially both were showing this port
    as unconnected, but after several runs the QX3 appeared. So that means
    the hardware is probably OK, which is good news. (This is all on my XP
    Pro Intel PC; maybe I'll get similar success on the XP Home Athlon
    later.)

    However, on running the application I'm getting a message that it's
    unable to communicate with the microscope and suggesting I restart the
    PC. Several cycles later and still no joy.

    The situation could be complicated by the fact that I'm now running
    the XP version, downloaded from Intel's site, on this XP Pro PC. I'll
    have to check again that there are no residues from the original
    CD-based setup program.

    ---------

    I know I should strictly raise this next point as a new post, but as
    it arose while using those USB viewers I hope it's OK here.

    The display by UVCView is showing a yellow warning at Port 8,
    apparently due to an unknown device:

    My Computer
    Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
    RootHub
    [Port1]
    [Port2]
    [Port3] : USB Composite Device
    [Port4] : HP USB Sync
    [Port5] : Generic USB Hub
    [Port1] : USB Human Interface Device
    [Port2]
    [Port3]
    [Port4] : USB Human Interface Device
    [Port6]
    [Port7] : Intel Play QX3 Microscope
    [Port8] FailedEnumeration : Unknown Device <----
    Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
    RootHub
    [Port1] : EPSON Perfection 2480/2580
    [Port2]
    [Port3]
    [Port4]
    [Port5]
    [Port6] : USB Mass Storage Device
    [Port7]
    [Port8]

    But in Device Manager I see this, which has no yellow exclamations.

    Universal Serial Bus controllers
    Generic USB Hub
    Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller Standard OpenHCD USB
    Host Controller
    Unknown Device
    USB Composite Device
    USB Mass Storage Device
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub

    I haven't yet identified what the 'unknown' device is, but will now
    proceed to track it down. As I've raised before, I wish there was some
    visual correspondence between these displays and the physical PC case
    itself! Step 1 is to find which is Port 8 ;-)

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Apr 25, 2009
  9. >Thanks all, those follow-ups have helped me make some encouraging
    >progress. I installed both tools but see that UVCView is the latest
    >version so I've settled on that. Initially both were showing this port
    >as unconnected, but after several runs the QX3 appeared. So that means
    >the hardware is probably OK, which is good news. (This is all on my XP
    >Pro Intel PC; maybe I'll get similar success on the XP Home Athlon
    >later.)
    >
    >However, on running the application I'm getting a message that it's
    >unable to communicate with the microscope and suggesting I restart the
    >PC. Several cycles later and still no joy.
    >
    >The situation could be complicated by the fact that I'm now running
    >the XP version, downloaded from Intel's site, on this XP Pro PC. I'll
    >have to check again that there are no residues from the original
    >CD-based setup program.
    >
    >---------
    >
    >I know I should strictly raise this next point as a new post, but as
    >it arose while using those USB viewers I hope it's OK here.
    >
    >The display by UVCView is showing a yellow warning at Port 8,
    >apparently due to an unknown device:
    >
    >My Computer
    > Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
    > RootHub
    > [Port1]
    > [Port2]
    > [Port3] : USB Composite Device
    > [Port4] : HP USB Sync
    > [Port5] : Generic USB Hub
    > [Port1] : USB Human Interface Device
    > [Port2]
    > [Port3]
    > [Port4] : USB Human Interface Device
    > [Port6]
    > [Port7] : Intel Play QX3 Microscope
    > [Port8] FailedEnumeration : Unknown Device <----
    > Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
    > RootHub
    > [Port1] : EPSON Perfection 2480/2580
    > [Port2]
    > [Port3]
    > [Port4]
    > [Port5]
    > [Port6] : USB Mass Storage Device
    > [Port7]
    > [Port8]
    >
    >But in Device Manager I see this, which has no yellow exclamations.
    >
    >Universal Serial Bus controllers
    > Generic USB Hub
    > Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller Standard OpenHCD USB
    >Host Controller
    > Unknown Device
    > USB Composite Device
    > USB Mass Storage Device
    > USB Root Hub
    > USB Root Hub
    >
    > I haven't yet identified what the 'unknown' device is, but will now
    >proceed to track it down. As I've raised before, I wish there was some
    >visual correspondence between these displays and the physical PC case
    >itself! Step 1 is to find which is Port 8 ;-)

    Hmm, after re-booting the situation has returned to its previous state
    ;-(
    I get message in tray that "One of the USB devices attached to this
    computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it."
    UVCView now shows Port 7 as the one with the yellow exclamation mark.

    ---===>Device Information<===---

    ConnectionStatus: FailedEnumeration
    Current Config Value: 0x00 -> Device Bus Speed: Low
    Device Address: 0x00
    Open Pipes: 0
    *!*ERROR: No open pipes!

    ===>Device Descriptor<===
    *!*ERROR: bLength of 0 incorrect, should be 18
    bLength: 0x00
    bDescriptorType: 0x00
    bcdUSB: 0x0000
    bDeviceClass: 0x00
    *!*ERROR: Device enumeration failure

    Which seems to imply that the error I reported as a separate issue was
    in fact connected with this QX3 device. Although it *was* shown as a
    quite separate entry!

    BTW, Device Manager still has no yellow warnings.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Apr 25, 2009
  10. Terry Pinnell

    Gerard Bok Guest

    On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 11:14:37 +0100, Terry Pinnell
    <> wrote:

    >>However, on running the application I'm getting a message that it's
    >>unable to communicate with the microscope and suggesting I restart the
    >>PC.

    Have you tried to run the program with all other USB devices
    unplugged ?
    (I have a scanner that runs fine. As long as there is no other
    USB device plugged in :)

    --
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok

    Gerard Bok, Apr 25, 2009
  11. Terry Pinnell

    > This is a bit of a longshot for both newsgroups but maybe one of the
    > experts here has at some time used the INTEL Digital Blue QX3
    > Microscope and can offer some advice please?
    >
    > Years ago I used this successfully on an old W98 PC. With that machine
    > recently consigned to the local tip, today I dusted off the pristine
    > looking QX3 and tried it on my two remaining PCs. After re-installing
    > with the 97 MB 'XP update' downloaded from INTEL, I get similar
    > problems on both my AMD Athlon XP1800 (XP Home) and my Quad Core Q9450
    > 2.66 GHz (XP Pro). In both cases the device just doesn't seem to
    > exist. I get messages telling me to it's not plugged in when I try to
    > run the QX3 viewing software. And I can't see it in Device Manager.
    >
    > It's intended for kids from 5 upwards (I qualify) so made to last. But
    > must I conclude that, despite its robustness it's a hardware fault,
    > as the trouble-shooting guide appears to imply? And that there's
    > nothing left to try? (I removed its 9 retaining screws but could see
    > nothing obviously amiss.) Reluctant to bin it ... ;-(
    >
    > --
    > Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    I remembered to have a look today at what software I used and it looks as if
    it was d/l from Intel. The file is called "QX3Plus.exe" 93.6mb in size and
    was dated 15/6/2006, file version 2.11.15.0. Don't know whether this is what
    you have but as I said previously, it will work under XP Pro.

    Peter.

    BigH2K, May 7, 2009
  12. Terry Pinnell

    Guest

    On Apr 25, 5:29 am, Terry Pinnell <> wrote:
> [...]

    >       [Port4]
    >       [Port5]
    >       [Port6]  :  USB Mass Storage Device
    >       [Port7]
    >       [Port8]
    >
    > But in Device Manager I see this, which has no yellow exclamations.
    >
    > Universal Serial Bus controllers
    >  Generic USB Hub
    >  Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller  Standard OpenHCD USB
    > Host Controller
    >  Unknown Device
    >  USB Composite Device
    >  USB Mass Storage Device
    >  USB Root Hub
    >  USB Root Hub
    >
    >  I haven't yet identified what the 'unknown' device is, but will now
    > proceed to track it down. As I've raised before, I wish there was some
    > visual correspondence between these displays and the physical PC case
    > itself! Step 1 is to find which is Port 8 ;-)

    I just experienced the same problem with a QX3 that was given to me by
    a friend. It failed to recognize the device when plugged into either
    USB 1.1 or 2.0 ports. A truly helpful XP pop-up balloon indicated a
    USB device failure to recognize. In addition, nothing showed up in
    Device Manager, not even an Unknown Device. I found that the problem
    was a dead clock crystal on the internal circuit board. It is
    actually pretty easy to open and the crystal can be removed and
    replaced with only basic soldering skills and a standard soldering
    pencil. Fortunately, this can be accomplished without unscrewing the
    PC board from the lens assembly. The failed crystal is a 48.0000MHz
    metal can labeled X2. It is the 2-leaded metal can marked 48.0000 and
    is lying down on its side next to a similar can standing on its end.
    I replaced X2 with a new part and the device recognized immediately
    and worked great with my XP box........ Great, except that it hijacks
    the screen resolution (normally 1280x1024) and screws up my desktop
    settings upon exit. Is there a way to force it to run in a window
    instead of going to full screen? I tried various compatibility modes
    without any success. Anybody have any ideas here?

    Dadumagoo Kent, Ohio

    , May 13, 2009
  13. Terry Pinnell

    Guest

    On Apr 24, 12:11 pm, Terry Pinnell <> wrote:
    > This is a bit of a longshot for both newsgroups but maybe one of the
    > experts here has at some time used the INTEL Digital Blue QX3
    > Microscope and can offer some advice please?
    >
    > Years ago I used this successfully on an old W98 PC. With that machine
    > recently consigned to the local tip, today I dusted off the pristine
    > looking QX3 and tried it on my two remaining PCs. After re-installing
    > with the 97 MB 'XP update' downloaded from INTEL, I get similar
    > problems on both my AMD Athlon XP1800 (XP Home) and my Quad Core Q9450
    > 2.66 GHz (XP Pro). In both cases the device just doesn't seem to
    > exist. I get messages telling me to it's not plugged in when I try to
    > run the QX3 viewing software. And I can't see it in Device Manager.
    >
    > It's intended for kids from 5 upwards (I qualify) so made to last. But
    > must I conclude that, despite its robustness  it's a hardware fault,
    > as the trouble-shooting guide appears to imply? And that there's
    > nothing left to try? (I removed its 9 retaining screws but could see
    > nothing obviously amiss.) Reluctant to bin it ...  ;-(
    >
    > --
    > Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Sounds like a bad 48.000MHz clock crystal on the MPU. (Marked 'X2' on
    circuit board.) Either the crystal has stopped oscillating or it has
    gone off frequency, either of which can result from droppage or
    defect. See my post at the end of this thread. An ECS part# ECS-480-
    S-1, $0.40 thru Digi-Key, will probably work fine.

    Good luck. It is a nice little 'toy'. I am using it for PC board
    inspection at work.

    , May 14, 2009
  14. wrote:

    >On Apr 24, 12:11 pm, Terry Pinnell <> wrote:
    >> This is a bit of a longshot for both newsgroups but maybe one of the
    >> experts here has at some time used the INTEL Digital Blue QX3
    >> Microscope and can offer some advice please?
    >>
    >> Years ago I used this successfully on an old W98 PC. With that machine
    >> recently consigned to the local tip, today I dusted off the pristine
    >> looking QX3 and tried it on my two remaining PCs. After re-installing
    >> with the 97 MB 'XP update' downloaded from INTEL, I get similar
    >> problems on both my AMD Athlon XP1800 (XP Home) and my Quad Core Q9450
    >> 2.66 GHz (XP Pro). In both cases the device just doesn't seem to
    >> exist. I get messages telling me to it's not plugged in when I try to
    >> run the QX3 viewing software. And I can't see it in Device Manager.
    >>
    >> It's intended for kids from 5 upwards (I qualify) so made to last. But
    >> must I conclude that, despite its robustness  it's a hardware fault,
    >> as the trouble-shooting guide appears to imply? And that there's
    >> nothing left to try? (I removed its 9 retaining screws but could see
    >> nothing obviously amiss.) Reluctant to bin it ...  ;-(
    >>
    >> --
    >> Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    >Sounds like a bad 48.000MHz clock crystal on the MPU. (Marked 'X2' on
    >circuit board.) Either the crystal has stopped oscillating or it has
    >gone off frequency, either of which can result from droppage or
    >defect. See my post at the end of this thread. An ECS part# ECS-480-
    >S-1, $0.40 thru Digi-Key, will probably work fine.
    >
    >Good luck. It is a nice little 'toy'. I am using it for PC board
    >inspection at work.

    Nice detective work! Especially as you presumably found the crystal
    fault without the aid of QX3's magnification ;-)

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, May 14, 2009
  15. Terry Pinnell

    Guest

    On May 14, 11:16 am, Terry Pinnell <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > >On Apr 24, 12:11 pm, Terry Pinnell <> wrote:
    > >> This is a bit of a longshot for both newsgroups but maybe one of the
    > >> experts here has at some time used the INTEL Digital Blue QX3
    > >> Microscope and can offer some advice please?

    > >> Years ago I used this successfully on an old W98 PC. With that machine
    > >> recently consigned to the local tip, today I dusted off the pristine
    > >> looking QX3 and tried it on my two remaining PCs. After re-installing
    > >> with the 97 MB 'XP update' downloaded from INTEL, I get similar
    > >> problems on both my AMD Athlon XP1800 (XP Home) and my Quad Core Q9450
    > >> 2.66 GHz (XP Pro). In both cases the device just doesn't seem to
    > >> exist. I get messages telling me to it's not plugged in when I try to
    > >> run the QX3 viewing software. And I can't see it in Device Manager.

    > >> It's intended for kids from 5 upwards (I qualify) so made to last. But
    > >> must I conclude that, despite its robustness  it's a hardware fault,
    > >> as the trouble-shooting guide appears to imply? And that there's
    > >> nothing left to try? (I removed its 9 retaining screws but could see
    > >> nothing obviously amiss.) Reluctant to bin it ...  ;-(

    > >> --
    > >> Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    > >Sounds like a bad 48.000MHz clock crystal on the MPU. (Marked 'X2' on
    > >circuit board.)  Either the crystal has stopped oscillating or it has
    > >gone off frequency, either of which can result from droppage or
    > >defect.  See my post at the end of this thread.  An ECS part# ECS-480-
    > >S-1, $0.40 thru Digi-Key, will probably work fine.

    > >Good luck.  It is a nice little 'toy'.  I am using it for PC board
    > >inspection at work.

    > Nice detective work! Especially as you presumably found the crystal
    > fault without the aid of QX3's magnification ;-)
    >
    > --
    > Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Okay, this QX3 has gone from kewl to sah-weet!!!!! As to my question
    earlier, I say nevermind. I found that when I uninstalled the Nazi-
    ish, resource hijacking software from Intel that plays holy-hobb with
    my desktop, there was enough residue left behind of the drivers (or
    they were already there) such that I can use it as an imaging input
    device directly into the word processors for Corel, OpenOffice and
    even Microlost. Perfect for lab reports and failure analyses. Simply
    insert image and select the QX3 from the drop-down list of imaging
    devices. The pop-up menu allows total control of lights and of gamma/
    contrast/resolution settings. I haven't had this much fun since
    finger-painting in kindergarten, and I don't care to think of how many
    years ago that was! Let me know if the crystal does the trick. My
    next adventure is going to be creating a LabVIEW application to make
    it a perfect tool for my workbench.

    Still the Magoo
    -end-of-line-

    , May 15, 2009