    them or look in them for whatever reason??

    On my XP box I do not have that problem.

    TIA

    kraut, Apr 21, 2009

  2. kraut

    Chad Harris Guest

    "kraut" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > In the wife's Vista when I click on some box when I try to access some
    > of the folders (Does not matter which ones or why I want to look at
    > them) I get message that I do not have permission to even though I am
    > set up as the administrator.
    >
    > First question is why and second question is is there a way to access
    > them or look in them for whatever reason??
    >
    > On my XP box I do not have that problem.
    >
    > TIA

    ________________

    Hi Kraut--

    The why is a complex question. In Vista, for enhanced security purposes,
    MSFT initiated UAC (User Account Control). Here is some short context from
    Vista Help's website, and remember you have Vista Help on your Start Menu:

    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/search.aspx?=&qu=uac

    It's been well received by enterprises, and debated by end users. If
    you're interested, although their blog has long closed, you can read what
    the team that made it described over many months here:

    http://blogs.msdn.com/uac/

    A short couple articles that context it are these MSKBs:

    Description of UAC

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951016

    How to use User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922708

    After You Turn on UAC, Some Programs Can't Access Network Connections

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937624

    What vexes most end users, is that they are running as Admins, and they
    still can't access folders you need to access. Sometimes it seems you're
    locked out at random, although I'm sure there is an elaborate rationale.

    I notice when I dual boot, lately I've been locked out of the desktop of the
    other boot I like to access.

    You could simply disable UAC by typing msconfig into the run
    box>tools>disable UAC. It's not advisable because you compromise security.

    Other ways to disable UAC:

    http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm

    Here are two ways to get into the folder you need to get into:

    Right click Properties>security tab>edit>add>users>put a check in all
    boxes>close>reopen and you should be good to go.

    or

    Right click Properties>security tab>Advanced button>Owner tab>edit
    button>put a check in "replace subcontainers and objects">other users
    button>type user name you want to have the permission in the box or simply
    "users">ok>apply>ok on the advanced security settings dialogue box.

    Good luck,

    CH

    Chad Harris, Apr 21, 2009

  3. kraut

    Gordon Guest

    "kraut" <> wrote in message

    > In the wife's Vista when I click on some box when I try to access some
    > of the folders (Does not matter which ones or why I want to look at
    > them)

    Err it actually DOES matter which ones.
    We can't possibly help unless we know what folders you are trying to access.
    My bet is, unless you say otherwise, is that you are trying to access a
    JUNCTION POINT.
    For example: C:\Documents and Settings is one.
    You cannot access these as they do NOT contain anything, but are pointers
    for legacy applications.

    See here for more info:

    Windows Vista Junction Points:

    http://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/jpoints.htm

    --
    Asking a question?
    your OS, Service Pack level

    Gordon, Apr 21, 2009
  4. kraut

    +Bob+ Guest

    On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 08:37:17 +0100, "Gordon" <>
    wrote:

    >Err it actually DOES matter which ones.
    >We can't possibly help unless we know what folders you are trying to access.
    >My bet is, unless you say otherwise, is that you are trying to access a
    >JUNCTION POINT.
    >For example: C:\Documents and Settings is one.
    >You cannot access these as they do NOT contain anything, but are pointers
    >for legacy applications.

    You should still be able to click through into the location being
    pointed to. That's the whole idea of a junction point.

    +Bob+, Apr 21, 2009
  5. kraut

    Gordon Guest

    "+Bob+" <> wrote in message

    > You should still be able to click through into the location being
    > pointed to. That's the whole idea of a junction point.

    Not really - they are symbolic links, if you're familiar with Unix....

    --
    Asking a question?
    your OS, Service Pack level

    Gordon, Apr 21, 2009
  6. kraut

    +Bob+ Guest

    On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 21:26:21 +0100, "Gordon" <>
    wrote:

    >"+Bob+" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> You should still be able to click through into the location being
    >> pointed to. That's the whole idea of a junction point.
    >>

    >Not really - they are symbolic links, if you're familiar with Unix....

    If I go to an explorer window and double click on c:\documents and
    settings, it puts me (effectively) in c:\users. I can see all the
    directories and files and manipulate them as needed.

    +Bob+, Apr 22, 2009
  7. kraut

    kraut Guest

    wrote:

    >> In the wife's Vista when I click on some box when I try to access some
    >> of the folders (Does not matter which ones or why I want to look at
    >> them)

    >Err it actually DOES matter which ones.
    >We can't possibly help unless we know what folders you are trying to access.
    >My bet is, unless you say otherwise, is that you are trying to access a
    >JUNCTION POINT.
    >For example: C:\Documents and Settings is one.
    >You cannot access these as they do NOT contain anything, but are pointers
    >for legacy applications.

    OK. Reason I asked is that the wife got a new box with Vista and I am
    an new XP user (Ex 98 user). A friend had a cheapy little eMachine
    with Vista from Walmart that would not do anything he needed so he put
    it where ever and got a new good box with Vista.

    I talked him out of the eMachine and am using it to learn Vista more
    or less so I can take care of the wifes machine when and if needed,
    The eMachine I am playing with is not hooked to the web so no problem
    there.

    kraut, Apr 22, 2009