Question about System Partition and Active Partition

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by Mackenrick, Jun 24, 2010.

  1. Mackenrick

    Mackenrick Guest

    I was trying to fix my XP computer by using a Ghost9 Image of my C drive but
    I think I restored it to the wrong partition. I have two hard drives in my
    computer. HD1 has C and D partitions and HD2 has G and H partitions (NTSF).
    (I use G & H for backups, etc.)

    I had to do the restore twice because I thought it didn't take but during
    one of the restores I think I restored to the wrong drive (G Drive). I
    found that I now have two drives with all the stuff that was on my C drive.
    So now I have a C drive and a G drive that are almost identical.

    When I look in Device Manager is shows:

    Disk0 = C Primary 30GB (System) D 110GB Extended Logical

    Disk1 = G Primary 29GB (Active) H 45GB Extended Logical

    So my question is: Which drive am I currently booting from? Is it the C
    drive that is labeled (System) or is it the G drive that is labeled (Active)?

    Thank you for your help.

    --
    MacKenrick

    Mackenrick, Jun 24, 2010

  2. Mackenrick

    Mackenrick Guest

    Thanks for the reply. If I'm understanding you correctly, your saying I'm
    booting from the "Active" drive, which is listed Disk Management, as my G
    Drive. G drive is listed as a primary partition on my second hard drive.
    My Bios is set to boot from my first hard drive so I'm still confused how
    this is working.
    --
    MacKenrick

    Mackenrick, Jun 24, 2010

  3. You're booting off the "System" partition as labeled in the Disk
    Management console. To open the Disk Management Console enter
    diskmgmt.msc in the Start Menu Run box. You are using the Windows
    installation on the "Boot" volume, as shown in the Disk Management
    console. If there is no notation for the "Boot" volume it means that
    the System and Boot volumes are on the same partition. You can also
    obtain the information at the Command Prompt with the SET SYSTEM command.

    John

    John John - MVP, Jun 24, 2010
  4. Mackenrick

    Mackenrick Guest

    Thank you all for your input.

    I've gotten contradictory replies but I think John John and Wally are
    probably correct. I've come to this conclusion because:

    1. The BIOS is set to boot from the Disk0 drive ("C" drive) and Disk1 ("G"
    drive isn't even listed as a boot drive in the BIOS).

    2. The "C" drive is listed as the (System) drive in Disk Management.
    --
    MacKenrick

    Mackenrick, Jun 25, 2010