Question about installation of windows 2000 advanced server

I recently installed the server but it didn’t allow me or give me option to
configure it into workgroup mode. I didn’t configure it to be domain server
because I wanted it to be in workgroup. It is now in workgroup by default.
But I still couldn’t get ability to set a static IP address so that I can
connect it to my other computer and see it in network place.

Can somebody help me how to change the dynamic IP address to static IP
address of win 2000 advanced server? It gave me option to give the range of
static IP addresses of the computers that I might connect but the computer
itself, the server, stayed at dynamic IP address and I am not able to change
it. It is not like windows XP, which is easy for me to do. Or is there any
way I can connect the two computers through network, windows 2000 advanced
server and windows XP.

Danny Sanders

Can somebody help me how to change the dynamic IP address to static IP
address of win 2000 advanced server? It gave me option to give the range
of
static IP addresses of the computers that I might connect but the computer
itself, the server, stayed at dynamic IP address and I am not able to
change
it.

What do you mean you are not able to change it?

Do you know *where* to change it but there is something preventing you from
changing it when you try or you don't know where to change it?

DDS

"win2000 advanced server" <win2000 advanced

thank you for asking. You mentioned it right. I do not figure out where to
change it. Where to change it and the steps how to change it would answer the
problem and if I have to ping the other computer, win XP, which I already
assigned static IP address to is for this purpose.

Samson

Danny Sanders

Open control panel - network connections. Right click on the network
connection you want to set the static IP address on and select properties.
On the resulting screen, in the section that says this connection uses the
following items, select Internet Protocol TCP/IP and click on the properties
button. The next screen is where you can set IP address.

hth
DDS

That was what I did before. The potion it gives on that last screen is the
range of IP addresses. It says type IP addresses from--------- to----------.
It doesn’t even allow typing same IP address in both lines. I typed two
different IP addresses and still the computers IP address remained dynamic
and unchanged. This is unlike windows XP where at the last screen you
mentioned gives you option to change IP address, subnet and gateway
addresses.

Samson