    KevinGPO Guest

    How can I streamline Windows 2000 Advanced Server CD with the latest service
    pack? Then burn it again with it being bootable again?

    KevinGPO, Nov 30, 2005

  2. KevinGPO wrote:

    > How can I streamline Windows 2000 Advanced Server CD with the latest
    > service pack? Then burn it again with it being bootable again?

    Hi,

    Use AutoStreamer or nLite to make the process pretty easy.

    AutoStreamer:
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t223562.html

    nLite:

    Universal Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
    http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

    --
    torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting, Porsgrunn Norway
    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\), Nov 30, 2005

  3. KevinGPO

    Bob I Guest

    Bob I, Nov 30, 2005
  4. KevinGPO

    Sid Knee Guest

    Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:
    > KevinGPO wrote:
    >
    >> How can I streamline Windows 2000 Advanced Server CD with the latest
    >> service pack? Then burn it again with it being bootable again?
    >>

    > Hi,
    >
    > Use AutoStreamer or nLite to make the process pretty easy.
    >
    > AutoStreamer:
    > http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t223562.html
    >
    > nLite:
    >
    > Universal Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
    > http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

    I've used both but prefer nLite. Streaming a SP is easy but I haven't
    been able to stream any hotfixes even though the docs suggest it may be
    possible.

    And frankly, the service pack update is the very minor part of the
    update process. It's the multitude of hotfixes and hotfixes-on-hotfixes
    with countless reboots that take forever (not to mention the updates to
    Windows Update before you even get started!). In fact, it's become the
    major part, by far, of the total installation process.

    I doubt that there's any chance of another service pack so it sure would
    be nice to find a way to slipstream the hotfixes.

    A question:

    On the topic of reboots when hotfixes are installed, it's never been
    very clear to me whether the reboot is requested simply to get the
    benefit of the hotfix(es) just installed, or whether the reboot is
    *necessary* before proceeding with further updates.

    In other words, could I install a bucnch of hotfixes, skip the reboot at
    that time and proceed to, say, DirectX, Media Player or updated hardware
    driver installation and then reboot?

    Sid Knee, Nov 30, 2005
  5. KevinGPO

    KevinGPO Guest

    Thanks man. These 2 programs look cool. Wish they made one for Office too!

    Anyway, I have Windows Advanced Server 2000. Is the Service Pack 4 will work
    for Advanced Server... as well as Professional versions?

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/

    KevinGPO, Dec 2, 2005
  6. KevinGPO

    John John Guest

    You might want to take a look at this one also. I ran across it a while
    back and I was pleasantly surprised when I gave it a test run. Not only
    does it splistream but it can incorporate post SP hotfixes to the
    installation CD. The author doesn't mention Advanced Server but does
    keep a list of Windows 2003 Server hotfixes, possibly it works for the
    Advanced version also. http://xpcreate.com/current.htm

    John

    John John, Dec 2, 2005
  7. Hi,

    Yes, it's the same SP4 install file for both those Windows 2000 versions.

    Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\), Dec 2, 2005