    how do I make it a data source?

    TIA

    , Mar 2, 2008

  2. Peter-

    Set the XSD file in DataSet mode on your designer(left bellow)
    right click and tell to generate a dataset

    -Cor

    Cor Ligthert[MVP], Mar 3, 2008

    I don't mean to sound stupid, but could you clarify the steps I need
    to take. Right now, I am looking at a dataset.xsd file which has a
    QueriesTableAdapter object containing my SQL -- qryIssuesList().

    How do I set the xsd file into dataset mode? How do I tell it to
    generate a dataset?

    TIA,
    Pete

    On Mar 2, 9:36 pm, "Cor Ligthert[MVP]" <>
    wrote:
    > Peter-
    >
    > Set the XSD file in DataSet mode on your designer(left bellow)
    > right click and tell to generate a dataset
    >
    > -Cor

    , Mar 3, 2008
  4. Rich P Guest

    Using the wizards will restrict your objects considerably. You are
    better off doing this in code as follows (I am using Windows
    Authentication in this sample if you are using Sql Server):

    Imports System
    Imports System.Data.SqlClient

    Dim conn As SqlConnection, da As SqlDataAdapter
    Dim ds As Dataset

    Private Sub Form1_Load(...) Handles MyBase.Load
    conn1 = New SqlConnection
    conn1.ConnectionString = "Data Source=yourSvr;Initial
    Catalog=yourDB;Integrated Security=True"

    ds = New Dataset
    da = New SqlDataAdapter
    da.SelectCommand = New SqlCommand
    da.SelectCommand.Connection = conn
    da.SelectCommand = "Select * From yourTbl"
    da.Fill(ds, "tblSteve")

    datagridview1.DataSource = ds.Tables("tblSteve")
    End Sub

    Just create a new form and drop a datagridview control on it. Then copy
    and paste the code above into your new form. Replace yourTbl with the
    name of an actual table on your server DB. Now load the project and you
    will see the data in your form's datagridview control.

    Rich

    Rich P, Mar 3, 2008
  5. peterg12345 Guest

    Thanks Rich - that's what I was looking for.

    peterg12345, Mar 3, 2008
  6. Rich,

    This is a complete different result then using the designer.

    Be aware that you are now using a non strongly typed dataset, which is in
    fact complete different (less stable) then a strongly typed dataset created
    using an XSD file.

    Cor

    Cor Ligthert[MVP], Mar 4, 2008
  7. Pete-

    I don't mean to sound stupid, but could you clarify the result you want to
    get.
    Right now, I am looking at a solution for a non strongly typed dataset which
    does not have a
    QueriesTableAdapter object containing your SQL -- qryIssuesList().

    What has this to do with a xsd file into?

    TIA,
    Cor

    Cor Ligthert[MVP], Mar 4, 2008