Q: Using a Magnetised Screwdriver on a Motherboard

rstlne

I did a search through a few sites that sell hardware.. anything that's not
directed at a home user "SUGGEST" using a magnetized screwdriver!..
but the same companys tell "home users" that they should use a
non-magnetised screwdriver.. so I am guessing that some damage coudl be done
"somewhere"

Michael W Ryder

Papa said:
And where are those screwdrivers (the ones with the fingers)? I haven't seen
one in years.

Jensen Tools (jensentools.com) has some screwdrivers that hold onto the
screw without using magnets. Some of them use a split blade to wedge
into the slot and others use a collar to hold the screw.

Robert Hancock

There's nothing on the motherboard that could be affected by a magnetic
screwdriver. The only thing that might possibly be affected would be the
hard drive, but the magnetic field strength of a screwdriver should be far
too low to do any harm.

.Aba

Hi,

Im about to remove my A7N8X Deluxe motherboard from my computer case to
install a heatsink fan.

Ive typically been using a standard non magnetised screwdriver in the past,
but am thinking about using a magnetised screwdriver to remove and install
the motherboard in and out of the case.

I know static electricity is a danger but will the manget effect of the
screwdriver stuff up my A7N8X Delkuxe?

thanks in advance

Eyman
After a accident in which iron filings got on a MB, Ishook and banged
it trying to remove them. To make sure all were gone I put a magnet
thats so strong I have difficulty removing a 5# piece of iron from it.
It weighs about 30#. Result= no problem.

.Aba

The single good reason is RISK. Why take it? A regular screwdriver does the
job easily, and with NO risk.
Could you explain what would or might be changed on a MB that would be
bad. I can't think of a thing that the magnetic field would affect.

.Aba

You obviously missed my other post. Here it is again.

"The single good reason is RISK. Why take it? A regular screwdriver does the
job easily, and with NO risk."
Again what RISK? Are you "another act as if" ? Do you have any
POSITIVE PROOF of your statement?

me

Lonny said:
Well..., you know..., everyone uses magnetic ones these days...

Magnetic items will not harm a machine unless you leave the magnatized
item on a delicate component for a long time. For a floppy disk or video
tape to erase with a magnet it must be a very high powered electromagnet.

captzee1

Same here also.Used only mag screwdrivers even around HD's for years
without a single incident.

Nom

Papa said:
The reason electric screwdrivers and magnetic screwdrivers are used at tech
support departments and at computer assembly companies is because managers
insist on it.

They don't insist on anything - I *CHOOSE* to use one, the same as I do at
home.

Why? Because repairs and assemblies go faster that way, and if
the tools cause a problem...

They don't cause a problem.
The OP is a computer owner. He/she does not have the luxury of taking such
risks, and why should she/he?

There are no risks.
It only takes a few minutes longer to use the
RIGHT tools.

They are the right tools.

NaTaS

sorry for interupting, but i heard on a show on the techtv network, "the
screen savers" that, a magnetized screwdriver is not harmful to equipment,
because the harddrive has a very large magnet in it anyway. i am not sure
of this, i have never tore a harddrive apart to find out, but just relaying
what i heard.

rstlne

If you can tear a drive apart do it :)
If you can get one of those OLD OLD drives (like the first hard drives) that
are in a clear case, those are SWEET..
It's like about a 8" copper/gold looking disk (verry shiny, like a CD) and
they really look awsome!
heh

NaTaS said:
sorry for interupting, but i heard on a show on the techtv network, "the
screen savers" that, a magnetized screwdriver is not harmful to equipment,
because the harddrive has a very large magnet in it anyway. i am not sure
of this, i have never tore a harddrive apart to find out, but just relaying
what i heard.

Chas. said:
"Papa" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Ed

sorry for interupting, but i heard on a show on the techtv network, "the
screen savers" that, a magnetized screwdriver is not harmful to equipment,
because the harddrive has a very large magnet in it anyway. i am not sure
of this, i have never tore a harddrive apart to find out, but just relaying
what i heard.

Is that show still on? , haven't watched it in a long time!

My IBM deskstar that died after 6 months and the replacement drive I got
died in 8 hours,(yes 8 hours), so I tore it apart, there was a magnet
inside and it is a *very* strong one, makes a hell of a fridge magnet!

Ed

TEQ

Ed said:
Is that show still on? , haven't watched it in a long time!

My IBM deskstar that died after 6 months and the replacement drive I got
died in 8 hours,(yes 8 hours), so I tore it apart, there was a magnet
inside and it is a *very* strong one, makes a hell of a fridge magnet!

Ed

It's what's known as a rare-earth magnet, and although it is very strong,
it's magnetic field drops off very quickley as you move away from it
compared to an ordinary magnet.

Henry

Absolutely, I tore a 3.5" hd apart. There were a couple of magnets in
there, held together by screws. If you stuck this thing on a piece of
metal, you'd need a pair of vice grips to pull it off. It was that
powerful.

Chas. said:
"Papa" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Johnson

It's what's known as a rare-earth magnet, and although it is very strong,
it's magnetic field drops off very quickley as you move away from it
compared to an ordinary magnet.

All magnetic fields drop off very quickly from all permanent magnets.
Magnetic field strength drops off as the inverse cube of the distance
from a magnet.

TEQ

Johnson said:
All magnetic fields drop off very quickly from all permanent magnets.
Magnetic field strength drops off as the inverse cube of the distance
from a magnet.

With R.E. magnets, it's a very very sharp drop-off.

Chris Thomas

With R.E. magnets, it's a very very sharp drop-off.

Good grief; James Maxwell is rolling over in his grave. You might
want to read a freshman physics textbook. The field of ANY magnet,
whether it's an electromagnet, cheap iron magnet, or one of your rare
earth magnets varies with distance in exactly the same manner. If
you can demonstrate differently, I suggest you contact the Nobel
prize committee in Stockholm as you are a candidate.

TEQ

Chris Thomas said:
Good grief; James Maxwell is rolling over in his grave. You might
want to read a freshman physics textbook. The field of ANY magnet,
whether it's an electromagnet, cheap iron magnet, or one of your rare
earth magnets varies with distance in exactly the same manner. If
you can demonstrate differently, I suggest you contact the Nobel
prize committee in Stockholm as you are a candidate.

You're missing my point. If you had a normal magnet of equal strength as a
R.E. magnet, it would be physically much larger - and the field would extend
to a greater distance than the R.E. magnet of equivalent strength. Hence
these magnets use in things like hard-drives where an ordinary magnet of
equivalent strength would play havoc with the data.

"The size of a magnet has a lot to do with the perceived strength of its
field, though. None of these magnets are very big, so that inverse-cube-law
field strength reduction bites into their power quite quickly.
Chisel the huge ferrite disc magnet off the back of a large dead speaker (if
it wasn't dead before you started chiselling, it sure will be when you've
finished) and you'll have a magnet with only about 1000G field strength,
measured at the peak strength areas on its poles. It's a ferrite. That's all
you get.

But big speaker magnets commonly weigh more than a kilogram and are several
inches across. The peak strength areas at the poles are thus already a few
inches away from the middle of the magnet's field. In this case, you can
move another few inches away and still have 1/8th field strength.

So if you wave one of these big magnets over a pile of nails, they'll leap
up to stick to it from several inches away.

Take a 1-Tesla-field-strength neodymium magnet the size of a button, though,
and the peak field areas on the outside of the magnet will only be a couple
of millimetres away from the middle of the field. Now moving just another
couple of millimetres away gives you 1/8th field strength. Field close to
magnet stronger; field far from magnet weaker."

Ed

So when it's all said and done
my 12" 4lb magnet with the screwdriver tip IS bad
Just stoke a magnet along the tip of any metal screwdriver about 50
times and you have magnetic tip screwdriver! But I'm sure you knew that
already. ;p
Ed

God

Believe me, they are really strong magnet in a hard drive...