[Q] How to list files in an installed software package

I have a very simple question: When I click a setup.exe file on a CD disk,
my win2k3 will start to launch the setup process to install the software
package. Once the software package has been installed, I would like to know
where and also be able to list the files from the installed software
package. How does one do that and with what utilities? A couple of days ago,
I went to visit a friend who managed a small LAN with a cluster of 60
Linux/Unix machines. He showed me using the RedHad package manager (RPM)
software, i.e. rpm -ql installed-software-package-name, to list what/where
the installed files are. He also showed me how he could list the content of
the software package, i.e. rpm -qpl software-package-name. Can I do these on
my Win2k3 server? If so how?

Jerold Schulman

Hi,

I have a very simple question: When I click a setup.exe file on a CD disk,
my win2k3 will start to launch the setup process to install the software
package. Once the software package has been installed, I would like to know
where and also be able to list the files from the installed software
package. How does one do that and with what utilities? A couple of days ago,
I went to visit a friend who managed a small LAN with a cluster of 60
Linux/Unix machines. He showed me using the RedHad package manager (RPM)
software, i.e. rpm -ql installed-software-package-name, to list what/where
the installed files are. He also showed me how he could list the content of
the software package, i.e. rpm -qpl software-package-name. Can I do these on
my Win2k3 server? If so how?

Download Installation Monitor from tip 3714 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at
http://www.jsiinc.com

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

Bob Qin [MSFT]

Hi Mazi,

Thanks for your posting here and thanks for Jerold's reply.

You can also download Installation Monitor from the following web site.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/existing/instaler
-o.asp

Have a nice day!

Regards,
Bob Qin
Microsoft Online Partner Support

From: "!SpamMe" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
Subject: [Q] How to list files in an installed software package
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 12:34:24 GMT
Hi,

Jerold Schulman said:
Download Installation Monitor from tip 3714 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at
http://www.jsiinc.com

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

Thanks for the information. I went to download/install the package, and here
is what I found:

1. "instaler" gives the following errors:
C:\>instaler "microsoft tool web package: INSTALLER.EXE"
F:\instaler_setup.exe
QueryDosDeviceW( NULL ) failed (122)

2. The "showinst" expects a .iml file for the software package that I tried
to list its contents, and it complains with the following error messages:

C:\>showinst "Windows Messenger" -c
SHOWINST: Unable to open 'C:\Program Files\Windows ResKits\Tools\Windows
Messenger.IML' (2)

Also, I read the "instaler_d.htm" to look for the examples, and neither
"instaler", "showinst", nor "undoinst" could do what the RPM can on a Linux
based machine unless I did something wrong as shown above. Are we that
cripple, i.e. can't even do a simple task, when it comes to software package
management?

I just wish the appwiz.cpl will have such a capability to perform a simple
task to show what files get installed to which drive/directory from each
package.

Bob Qin [MSFT]

Hi Mazi,

You can try a third party software, InstallWatch. It is free and you can
download it from the following web site.

http://www.epsilonsquared.com/

Disclaimer :

This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site.
Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft
does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information
found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations
regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or
information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any
software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure
that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from
the Internet.

Best regards,

From: "!SpamMe" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server