    simpler terms. Quite specifically I am interested in being able to
    switch b/n simplified chinese and english GUI under Windows.

    Thanks.

    Whytoi, Aug 28, 2003

  2. "Whytoi" <> wrote in message
    news:280820031855319655%...
    > I have an English copy of Windows XP Pro on my laptop. Is there a way
    > to add a foreign language GUI to the windows environment? I am not
    > referring to foreign language input but to have the ability to switch
    > between English and foreign language GUI.
    >
    > I have searched MSFT's support site and it talked about MUI etc and got
    > quite technical and confusing.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me if this can or can not be done? If so, how in
    > simpler terms. Quite specifically I am interested in being able to
    > switch b/n simplified chinese and english GUI under Windows.

    The functionality you describe is implemented in the MUI (Multilingual User
    Interface) Pack.
    This is not available to retail customers only to volume licensed customers
    see
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr...hnet/prodtechnol/winxppro/evaluate/MuiOvw.asp
    for a discussion about the different support for multilingual capabilities
    in Windows XP Professional.

    --
    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Aug 28, 2003

  3. Whytoi

    Whytoi Guest

    In article <>, Mike Brannigan
    [MSFT] <> wrote:

    > "Whytoi" <> wrote in message
    > > I have an English copy of Windows XP Pro on my laptop. Is there a way
    > > to add a foreign language GUI to the windows environment? I am not
    > > referring to foreign language input but to have the ability to switch
    > > between English and foreign language GUI.
    > >
    > > I have searched MSFT's support site and it talked about MUI etc and got
    > > quite technical and confusing.
    > >
    > > Can anyone tell me if this can or can not be done? If so, how in
    > > simpler terms. Quite specifically I am interested in being able to
    > > switch b/n simplified chinese and english GUI under Windows.
    > >

    > The functionality you describe is implemented in the MUI (Multilingual User
    > Interface) Pack.
    > This is not available to retail customers only to volume licensed customers
    > see
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol
    > /winxppro/evaluate/MuiOvw.asp
    > for a discussion about the different support for multilingual capabilities
    > in Windows XP Professional.

    Thanks for the very quick response. That's a shame that there's no
    option for retail customers... :(

    Whytoi, Aug 28, 2003
  4. Mike Brannigan [MSFT] wrote:
    > "Whytoi" <> wrote in message
    >> I have an English copy of Windows XP Pro on my laptop. Is there a way
    >> to add a foreign language GUI to the windows environment? I am not
    >> referring to foreign language input but to have the ability to switch
    >> between English and foreign language GUI.
    >>
    >> I have searched MSFT's support site and it talked about MUI etc and
    >> got
    >> quite technical and confusing.
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me if this can or can not be done? If so, how in
    >> simpler terms. Quite specifically I am interested in being able to
    >> switch b/n simplified chinese and english GUI under Windows.
    >>

    > The functionality you describe is implemented in the MUI
    > (Multilingual User
    > Interface) Pack.
    > This is not available to retail customers only to volume licensed
    > customers
    > see

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechn
    ol/winxppro/evaluate/MuiOvw.asp
    > for a discussion about the different support for multilingual
    > capabilities
    > in Windows XP Professional.
    >

    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > "Whytoi" <> wrote in message
    >> I have an English copy of Windows XP Pro on my laptop. Is there a way
    >> to add a foreign language GUI to the windows environment? I am not
    >> referring to foreign language input but to have the ability to switch
    >> between English and foreign language GUI.
    >>
    >> I have searched MSFT's support site and it talked about MUI etc and
    >> got
    >> quite technical and confusing.
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me if this can or can not be done? If so, how in
    >> simpler terms. Quite specifically I am interested in being able to
    >> switch b/n simplified chinese and english GUI under Windows.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    Mike - could you please inform Paul Cyr of this fact? He's been following me
    around like a bad smell and every time I reply to someone "no you must
    purchase the full xxx version" he calls me a liar and posts the link you
    just have. I've lost count of the number of times I've told him "this
    applies to volume licence customers only" to which he replies that I'm a
    liar again...I've given up telling him he's not helpful.

    --
    Perdita X. Dream

    Please help us to help you
    http://groups.google.com
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    Please note that the reply address is fake.
    Keep all posts to the groups as private requests for assistance
    (i.e. email/IM) cannot be acknowledged. Thank you.

    Perdita X. Nitt, Aug 28, 2003
  5. "Perdita X. Nitt" <> wrote in message
    > Mike - could you please inform Paul Cyr of this fact? He's been following

    me
    > around like a bad smell and every time I reply to someone "no you must
    > purchase the full xxx version" he calls me a liar and posts the link you
    > just have. I've lost count of the number of times I've told him "this
    > applies to volume licence customers only" to which he replies that I'm a
    > liar again...I've given up telling him he's not helpful.
    >
    > --
    > Perdita X. Dream

    PXD,

    As a quick FYI (that you can point PCyr to)
    we now have the,

    Windows MUI/LIP Knowledge Center
    http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/muizone.mspx

    With links to:-

    Windows MUI FAQ
    Information about MUI for Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 Family, and
    Windows 2000
    - their features, how to obtain them, setup and administration,...

    Including:---

    General Questions
    Q6. How can I acquire Windows MUI?
    A. How can I acquire Windows MUI?
    The Windows XP/2000 MUI is sold only through Volume Licensing programs such
    as the Microsoft Open License Program (MOLP / Open), Select, and Enterprise
    agreement (or with a new computer as an OEM version at customer request).
    It is not available through retail channels.

    Probably not much discussion needed on that answer. ;-)
    --
    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Aug 28, 2003
  6. "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" wrote:

    > "Perdita X. Nitt! wrote:
    >
    > > I've lost count of the number of times I've told him "this
    > > applies to volume licence customers only" to which he replies that I'm a
    > > liar again...I've given up telling him he's not helpful.
    > >

    > (snip)
    > A. How can I acquire Windows MUI?
    > The Windows XP/2000 MUI is sold only through Volume Licensing programs such
    > as the Microsoft Open License Program (MOLP / Open), Select, and Enterprise
    > agreement (or with a new computer as an OEM version at customer request).
    > It is not available through retail channels.
    >
    > Probably not much discussion needed on that answer. ;-)

    Hi

    Wouldn't the OEM part indicate that an end user could obtain the MUI version by
    buying a OEM product that bundles the MUI?

    --
    torgeir
    Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page

    Torgeir Bakken (MVP), Aug 28, 2003
  7. "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" wrote:

    > "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Wouldn't the OEM part indicate that an end user could obtain the MUI
    > > version by buying a OEM product that bundles the MUI?

    > Yes, but I think Perdita and PCyr are disagreeing over the issue of
    > "retail" product.
    > I'm trying to stay well clear.

    LOL, I can understand that ;-)

    Torgeir Bakken (MVP), Aug 28, 2003
  8. Mike Brannigan [MSFT] wrote:
    > "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <> wrote in
    > message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Wouldn't the OEM part indicate that an end user could obtain the MUI
    >> version by buying a OEM product that bundles the MUI?

    > Yes, but I think Perdita and PCyr are disagreeing over the issue of
    > "retail" product.
    > I'm trying to stay well clear.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <> wrote in
    > message news:...

    >>> (snip)
    >>> A. How can I acquire Windows MUI?
    >>> The Windows XP/2000 MUI is sold only through Volume Licensing
    >>> programs such as the Microsoft Open License Program (MOLP / Open),
    >>> Select, and Enterprise agreement (or with a new computer as an OEM
    >>> version at customer request). It is not available through retail
    >>> channels.
    >>>
    >>> Probably not much discussion needed on that answer. ;-)

    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Wouldn't the OEM part indicate that an end user could obtain the MUI
    >> version by buying a OEM product that bundles the MUI?
    >>

    >> --
    >> torgeir
    >> Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
    >> Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328
    >> page Scripting Guide: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter

    This is odd - Torgeir's post didn't appear on my server - if you'd not
    quoted him, I'd have assumed you'd finally flipped (or I'd pushed you over
    the edge! ;o))

    Perdita X. Nitt, Aug 28, 2003
  9. Whytoi

    PCyr Guest

    Oh, here as some of those rude posts of yours:

    1)
    Perdita X. Nitt wrote:
    > Carol J wrote:
    >> Where does one find which bit rate you have?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Carol

    > You do what you should have done before posting - you search the
    > group(s) to see if anyone might conceivably have had a similar
    > problem. Had you done so, you'd have found at least 5,000 answers to
    > your question - please visit the first link in my signature for
    > answers to this - and all other - FAQs.

    Perdita X. Nitt;

    Do you get some kind of graticication from trying to offend OP's with your
    mean attitude.

    Nobody asked anything from you personally, so why not say nothing if you're
    unable to show any pleasant disposition to people.

    2)
    It would be nice to think that we could forgive cultural differences and
    accept that we all have differing levels of ability re. use of english and
    associated grammar.. surely we are here to help people with computer
    problems, and not to judge their ability to be 100% coherent in their use of
    the english language..

    "Perdita X. Dream" <> wrote in message
    > RB Tiwari wrote:
    > > There is problem in opening the word document file and
    > > computer is getting hanged. How to solve this problem

    > Please see link three in my signature to learn how to post to newsgroups
    > properly and effectively.

    3) Even Bruce thought you were wrong on this one:
    Greetings --

    Recognized by whom, other than yourself?

    Bruce Chambers

    > I gave you an answer - NIS slows
    > your system down - it's a recognised fact...if you don't like the

    answer
    > don't read it.

    4)
    Because this is an XP news group. And who in the hell are you to jump on
    someone like that?

    > bconsi wrote:
    > > I have a newer (4 months) computer with Windows XP and I
    > > want to know for sure whether it is 32 bit or 64 bit.
    > > I'm looking to download the Blaster patch, but must
    > > choose between the 32 or 64 bit. I would tend to assume
    > > it is 64 bit, but would appreciate knowing if there is a
    > > quick way to determine it.
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    > You search the damned group! And I must say that's very funny logic...

    Hi Perdita X. Nitt. I'm not really certain what you are attempting to do
    other than piss people off. These newsgroups exist to provide support to
    people. It is completely within a poster's rights to ask questions
    pertaining to technical issues here. There is no requirement to search
    through prior newsgroup posts or search the internet before asking their
    question.

    While some people might want to do their own searches there are many others
    who simply come here first. My advice to you is if you do not wish to answer
    a question that has been asked and answered previously then just by-pass the
    message. BTW you might want to add these links to the list in your sig line
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/participate.asp
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/default.asp

    6)
    Maybe they are a bit challenged. Stop being an ass and help. It took you
    more time to write a criticism then it would have taken you to answer the
    damn question.

    > Linda Wagner wrote:
    > > We are worried about the new "bug" and want to install
    > > the patch, for safety purposes. (We have not been
    > > infected, yet.)
    > > To install the patch, it asks what version of Windows XP
    > > that we currently have;Windows XP 32 bit or 64 bit?
    > > When I go to "My computer", help and about Windows it
    > > says: Windows XP Professional 5.1.
    > > Questions:
    > > 1. Do we install either of these patches?
    > > 2. Which version do we have??? It doesn't tell me 32 or
    > > 64..
    > > 3. Do we install the patch at all?
    > >
    > > Please send info.
    > > Thank you

    > Are you really so challenged that you can't scroll back through 45 minutes
    > worth of posts? I did some calculations earlier and this question is asked
    > every 2 hours - yep, that's right, folks TWELVE times a day!

    7)
    > brian wrote:
    > > When I start my computer I get the following error
    > > message:
    > >
    > > Windows cannot find 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\System32.exe'.
    > > Make sure you typed the name correctly, and thne try
    > > again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and
    > > then click Search.
    > >
    > > I had just removed a virus that might have affected that
    > > file, so I might have deleted it when I removed it from
    > > quarantine.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Brian

    > Do a search, using the first link in my signature, and you'll find all

    the
    > information you need.

    Damn, Cassandra, at least help the guy, you are making us real
    bitches look bad. Looka here, think about why these people are here,
    esp. new users. Alot of new users are at their wits end and have
    searched through Microsoft mazes and not found their answers, but
    instead *did* use one of the options "use newsgroups". Oh, I have
    bitched about posters not scrolling down and searching for an answer,
    but then I remember the first time I used a newsgroup. Great as Google
    may be, my answer did not exist in Google.

    Star

    8)
    It's just plain and simple bud. Perdita is an ass and everyone on this
    board thinks so. You know the saying, "3 billion chinese people can't be
    wrong (when it comes to eating rice).(or something like that.)" Apply that
    to the users here and their views on Perdita the pinhead.

    >On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 15:36:03 +0100, "Perdita X. Nitt"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>SFW wrote:
    >>> Sorry for asking about Windows 2000 here but I can't find a NG
    >>> equivalent to this one for that OS.

    ><snip>

    >>> Many thanks for any help - it's driving me mad.....

    >>Can't you? Well you obviously didn't look very hard then, did you - if you
    >>ever looked at all. There are no less than THIRTY Windows 2000 groups on

    the
    >>MS server - every Windows XP group has a 2000 equivalent. May I suggest

    you
    >>set up the server in your newsclient - msnews.microsoft.com - you'll find
    >>all the 2000 groups are listed.

    >???
    >
    >Wow, you're remarkably rude to strangers on usenet! Does it make you
    >feel big to be mean and insulting?
    >
    >I did look, but my news server doesn't seem to carry the groups you
    >mentioned. If I wasn't bright enough to find them then so be it, but
    >you must be puddled if you imagine I'd bother to lie about checking
    >for NGs before asking for help.
    >
    >If you imagine that people politely requesting help on Usenet are
    >liars simply because they don't appear to know all that you know then
    >maybe you need to take a close look at yourself.
    >

    >Sincerely,
    >--
    >Shirley Worrall

    and it goes on...

    --
    Check out http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com for amazing tweaks and fixes

    Member of "Newsgroups are for everyone"

    5 Steps to computer safety:
    1) Use a good quality anti-virus, and keep it up-to-date.
    2) Use a firewall. The one in XP works fine, but there are better ones out
    there.
    3) Keep Windows up-to-date. It's your choice whether or not you want the
    recommended updates, but the critical updates are just that - critical.
    4) Beware of adware and spyware. There are many programs that will help to
    protect your computer, but it's up to you to prevent it as well. Make sure
    you read the agreement of the software before you install it. It should
    tell you if it will be installing any additional programs.
    5) Be cautious of attachments. Microsoft NEVER sends out attachments via
    email. Always scan all attachments before opening them.

    Email address is fake to prevent SPAM.
    Real email address is pcyr2000 AT hotmail DOT com
    Change the obvious to the obvious.
    ------------------
    "PCyr" <> wrote in message
    > 1) You are such an moron, cretin, f**kwit (take your pick). The argument
    > wasn't whether or not MUI is available for XP Pro retail or VL, but

    whether
    > or not it's available for the Windows operating system, AT ALL.
    >
    > Here you go:
    >
    > ME: I heard something about a Multilingual User Interface component for
    > Pro.
    > It's from MS, but I'm not sure if it's included in Pro.
    >
    > PXD: You are wrong (again!), no such thing exists. There is a MUI for

    Office
    > (applies to VL only) but not Windows.
    >
    > -So according to you, you can get a MUI for Office VL, but not for Windows
    > AT ALL.
    >
    > ME: Maybe you need to do a little research (again!)
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp
    > it's right down at the very bottom.
    > Please keep your rudeness and ignorance to yourself.
    >
    > PXD: That's for OL/VL only. This http://tinyurl.com/iz3k is a link to

    at
    > least
    > three dozen people who agree with me. Guess I'm not the ignorant one, huh?
    >
    > ME: Hey ignoranus, thats not what you said. You said, "There is a MUI

    for
    > Office
    > (applies to VL only) but not Windows."
    >
    > And then you said that there was one for OL (what ever that is)/VL.
    >

    > >"I've lost count of the number of times I've told him "this applies to

    > volume licence customers only"
    > I guess you can't count, because other than the instant I just quoted,

    there
    > was only one other instant.
    >
    > 2) I *NEVER* called you a liar about this. I never implied it either,
    > there's a difference between lying and being a liar. That's why I didn't
    > call you a liar. And I still don't think you lied, just misunderstood.
    >
    > 3) I thought it was in a one of the worst things you could in a newsgroup
    > was to post personal information? Well, at least that's what you said. I
    > never told you my name, and although the information is available on the
    > web, it is completely inappropriate to post my name.
    >
    > 4) It's funny, you say I'm not helpful, meanwhile you get flamed by many
    > users for your rude language. And although, I don't post as much as you,

    my

    PCyr, Aug 28, 2003
  10. Whytoi

    PCyr Guest

    An eye for eye makes the world blind. But then people can't see other
    people's hand gestures.

    PCyr, Aug 29, 2003
  11. Whytoi

    PCyr Guest

    Oh by the way, those insults at the beginning are the ones she uses on
    innocent users - poetic justice.

    Hmmm? She still hasn't responded to this post, and she calls other people
    trolls?

    PCyr, Aug 30, 2003