Q: Browse Service for VPN clients of a b-node LAN?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 RAS Routing' started by Charles M Atkinson, Dec 9, 2003.

  1. "Bill Grant" <bill_grant at bigpond dot com> wrote in
    message news:etDHar#...

    [snip]

    > Remote clients (RAS or VPN) do not send or receive LAN
    > broadcasts.

    I was hoping that wasn't true! If it is, then the simple
    picture of VPN as being "exactly as if you were on the LAN
    but slower" is unobtainable for VPN clients of a b-node LAN?

    KB article 97559 describes how an NT 4.0 RAS server can be
    configured to pass broadcasts. Was that removed from W2K?

    KB article 243188 describes how "Clients that dial in to a
    Remote Access Services (RAS) server using only the
    Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) do
    not appear in the browse list on clients on the local area
    network (LAN). Such a RAS client, assuming it is configured
    properly to view the browse list in Network Neighborhood,
    sees the LAN clients and also sees itself in the browse
    list.". Sadly it does not say what "configured properly"
    is.

    I'd like to give VPN users something that is transparent, if
    slow. That means populating network Neigbourhood (not
    exactly the same thing as populating the browse list?).
    Here's what we have now:

    * Name resolution on the LAN is by b-node because it is a
    small office so we cannot justify the cost of WINS or DNS.

    * Packet sniffing on the LAN shows no broadcasts from a VPN
    client.

    * The VPN clients beome Master Browsers -- presumably
    because they get no response when looking for a Master
    Browser or initiating an election.

    * LMHOSTS allow them to access shared resources by name but
    do not populate Network Neighbourhood.

    So -- is there any chance of propagating broadcasts between
    VPN client and LAN? If not, is there any other way to
    populate Network Neighbourhood without WINS -- for example
    using "net view" on a pre-configured list of server names?

    Charles M Atkinson, Dec 9, 2003

  2. Charles M Atkinson

    John Lewis Guest

    Re: Browse Service for VPN clients of a b-node LAN?

    The best way to deal with this one is to invest just a bit of $$ in a linux
    server, configure Samba to handle WINS and Poptop to handle the incoming VPN
    (if you are happy with PPTP). As odd as it sounds, your Windows network
    will work much better with the linux box than with a Windows box handling
    the same functions.

    The next best option is a WINS server on a Windows box, followed in the
    distance by LMHOSTS. You mentioned that you have tried LMHOSTS, have you
    tried using the #PRE directive there?

    John Lewis, Dec 10, 2003