putting a list in alphabetical order

G

Hi

i am trying to figure out how to do this but i need some help. What i am trying to do is this. I am taking a self study course to become a Paralegal. They send me my lesson materials through the mail, and each lesson usually comes with at least 2 to 3 small books. At the end of each book is a glossary with a list of legal terms and their definitions; what i would like to do is save the glossary in each of the books to a seperate folder, and then combine all of them into just 1 alphabetized list at so that at the end of the course i will have just 1 list of all of the legal terms in alphabetical order, is this possible, and if so how do i do it. I am using word 2002 and running windows xp professional. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Dave.

D

Dayo Mitchell

Copy and paste to combine.

You can select and use Table | Sort to sort alphabetically, even if the data
is not in a table, but it will sort by the beginning of each paragraph.

So if you have
TERM: definition
It should sort fine, but
TERM
Definition
Will require some extra manipulating first.

DM

J

Jay Freedman

4pbears said:
Hi.

i am trying to figure out how to do this but i need some help. What i am trying to do is this. I am taking a self study course to become a Paralegal. They send me my lesson materials through the mail, and each lesson usually comes with at least 2 to 3 small books. At the end of each book is a glossary with a list of legal terms and their definitions; what i would like to do is save the glossary in each of the books to a seperate folder, and then combine all of them into just 1 alphabetized list at so that at the end of the course i will have just 1 list of all of the legal terms in alphabetical order, is this possible, and if so how do i do it. I am using word 2002 and running windows xp professional. Any help would be appreciated.

Besides saving the glossaries in separate files, make one extra file
to hold them all. In that file, use the menu item Insert > File to
bring in the text of the first glossary file. Put the cursor at the
end, and then Insert > File for the next glossary, and so on.

To alphabetize them (assuming each item is one paragraph), use the
menu item Table > Sort to sort the paragraphs into ascending order. If
any items are two or more paragraphs, then before sorting, replace the
paragraph mark between them with a line break (Shift+Enter).

You can sort after each insert, so the document will be alphabetized
after each addition, or all at once at the end.

Ask a Question