PSU won't fit

Reaction score
I have an older pc which is really noisey and wanted to replace the psu. When i take it out and put in a newer one it doesnt fit the case seems to be slightly smaller, it has a metal plate whichonly allows a psu of a certain size to fit. It's a fujitsu siemens scaleo pc around 3/4 years old. Its a normal sized pc but seems to be a little smaller than normal cases.

Any ideas what to do?

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
buy a new case :p that will solve your problems. I wouldnt reccomend this but maybe you dont have to mount the psu in the case keep the lid or side panel off and dont put the psu in the case but i wouldnt reccomend that!*

*disclaimer:if your house burns down due to that chelseafc2005 is held 0% responsible

Reaction score
I want to spend as little as possible to replace the psu and replacing the case aswell would be too much. Arent there different sizes of psu's?

Reaction score
Actually thats a good ideas as the case comes with a psu :) Although im not sure how difficult it will be to take the motherboard out of the case as it was bought prebuilt.

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
you can buy a very cheap case around 5-10 quid without psu i wouldnt buy a cheap case with a psu unless you dont mind if the psu isnt very good. The motherboard miught be a bit difficult to get out as it might have been screwed in with an electric screw driver or even a mchine open up the case and use a screwdriver and see how hard it is have a go!

Reaction score
I dont mind having a cheap case and psu as the psu in it currently is probaly cheap as it came with the pc anyway. I will try and see if i can get the motherboard out.

Know any good sites that have cheap cases with psu's?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
some manufacturers like dell use their own PSU's, to prevent you from replacing them with a different manufacturer they make sure that a standard ATX PSU wont fit the case

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
some manufacturers like dell use their own PSU's, to prevent you from replacing them with a different manufacturer they make sure that a standard ATX PSU wont fit the case

A very pertinent point.

The wiring connections are often different as well which could cause some really unpleasant surprises if you plugged a 'normal' PSU in.

I'd research the pin connections for current board and PSU compared to the more traditional arrangement before considering a replacement.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
A very pertinent point.

The wiring connections are often different as well which could cause some really unpleasant surprises if you plugged a 'normal' PSU in.

I'd research the pin connections for current board and PSU compared to the more traditional arrangement before considering a replacement.

good point on that, definately worth checking

Reaction score
I have managed to connect a normal psu to the computer but obviously couldnt fit it in so i left the case open, just to see if it would work which it did.

Ask a Question