PSU Rails

Kye

Reaction score
anyone know a website, or know themselves what each rail does for what component? my 12V rail is weak, but then again i might be able too upgrade my PC which uses 5V rail, which is soild with the PSU i have.

i know you can get 5V fans which run slower then if they was 12V, but...what about HDD, floppy DD? memory? CPU?

does a printer take power from the PSU or the mains? thank you for any input!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I don't know what each of the four rails does. But 5V is a usual logic voltage, so I'm guessing the 5V rails (+ & -) are for the motherboard and the 12V is for HDD's, optical drives, floppy drives & fans. But I really don't know, I suspect the motherboard may use all four.

Some PSU's supply temp controlled 7V - 12V fan connectors.

Kye, I think you're worrying too much about rails being weak. Unless you buy a PSU that has pots to control precise rail voltages I think you're always going to see fluctuations, and they're usually a little under par, rather than over.

Here's a shot of mine, right now, 430W Antec Truepower, you'll notice +3.3V = 3.1V; +5V = 4.9V and +12V = 11.7V. Everything's running rock steady.

Attachments

• volts02.jpg
    volts02.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 127

Ask a Question