    male fitting.

    Thanks
    TJ

    TJ Sackville-West, Dec 15, 2004

  2. TJ Sackville-West

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 02:26:04 -0800, TJ Sackville-West wrote:

    > Suggestions please to rig power for the square 4-pin 12v connection,
    > missing from the cabling from a CODEGEN 250X-1 250W PSU

    Get an adapter cable from Molex to the 12v connector.

    > Have an MSI KM3M-V mATX board which has the square JPW1 (4-pin 12v)
    > connector to power the CPU. 2x GND & 2x 12v pins showing.
    >
    > I don't know why this ATX PSU unit which is only 4-5 years old doesn't
    > have the square pin for the CPU power supply. Maybe is too old and the
    > new generation of CPU need direct higher power supply that the 20-pin
    > socket can provide, but I'm only putting on a Sempron 2400 so I should
    > be able to tap off 12V from somewhere and run it in with the correct
    > male fitting.

    The 4 pin 12v connector was introduced with the P4, after your PSu was
    built. BTW, AMD recommends a 300W PSU minimum for the K7 line. But I've
    run a couple on 250W nits.

    Wes Newell, Dec 15, 2004

  3. TJ Sackville-West

    Adam Guest

    > The 4 pin 12v connector was introduced with the P4, after your PSu was
    > built. BTW, AMD recommends a 300W PSU minimum for the K7 line. But I've
    > run a couple on 250W nits.

    I was under the impression that the additional connector not only
    provided more power but isolated power and ground planes for the CPU.

    --adam

    Adam, Dec 15, 2004
  4. TJ Sackville-West

    Noozer Guest

    "TJ Sackville-West" <> wrote in message
    > Suggestions please to rig power for the square 4-pin 12v connection,
    > missing from the cabling from a CODEGEN 250X-1 250W PSU

    > I don't know why this ATX PSU unit which is only 4-5 years old doesn't

    Mr Troll... 4-5 years makes it an antique as computer parts go.

    If it is a 250watt PSU then it won't have enough juice to run the system
    anyhow.

    If you want a modern computer, bite the bullet and buy a modern PSU.

    Noozer, Dec 15, 2004
  5. TJ Sackville-West

    kony Guest

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 11:36:06 GMT, Adam <>
    wrote:

    >> The 4 pin 12v connector was introduced with the P4, after your PSu was
    >> built. BTW, AMD recommends a 300W PSU minimum for the K7 line. But I've
    >> run a couple on 250W nits.
    >>

    >I was under the impression that the additional connector not only
    >provided more power but isolated power and ground planes for the CPU.
    >
    >--adam

    I don't think it isolates ground and power might depend on
    the board. Some past boards would potentially run, albeit
    with the potential for instability, with only the 20-pin
    connector attached. Other boards won't, definitely must
    have 12 in at the 4 pin connector.

    kony, Dec 15, 2004
  6. TJ Sackville-West

    kony Guest

    On 15 Dec 2004 02:26:04 -0800, (TJ
    Sackville-West) wrote:

    >Suggestions please to rig power for the square 4-pin 12v connection,
    >missing from the cabling from a CODEGEN 250X-1 250W PSU
    >
    >Have an MSI KM3M-V mATX board which has the square JPW1 (4-pin 12v)
    >connector to power the CPU. 2x GND & 2x 12v pins showing.
    >
    >I don't know why this ATX PSU unit which is only 4-5 years old doesn't
    >have the square pin for the CPU power supply. Maybe is too old and the
    >new generation of CPU need direct higher power supply that the 20-pin
    >socket can provide, but I'm only putting on a Sempron 2400 so I should
    >be able to tap off 12V from somewhere and run it in with the correct
    >male fitting.
    >
    >Thanks
    >TJ

    A 4-5 year old Codgen 250W isn't suited for this system.
    Granted a Sempron 2400 isn't as demanding as some, but the
    age of the PSU combined with it's generic low-quality
    nature, lower capacity to begin with not even considering
    that it may be optimized for amperage mostly from the 5V
    rail, not 12V rail, might be too much for the old Codegen
    which wasn't a very good PSU even when used in systems
    contemporary at the time.

    You can get an adapter that plugs into a 4 pin molex
    connector but you'd be better off getting a new ~ 350W
    name-brand power supply.

    kony, Dec 15, 2004
  7. TJ Sackville-West

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 11:36:06 +0000, Adam wrote:

    >> The 4 pin 12v connector was introduced with the P4, after your PSu was
    >> built. BTW, AMD recommends a 300W PSU minimum for the K7 line. But I've
    >> run a couple on 250W nits.
    >>

    > I was under the impression that the additional connector not only
    > provided more power but isolated power and ground planes for the CPU.

    What the board does with it depends on the board, but as far as the PSU is
    concerned, it's just another 12v line coming from the same place as the
    other 12v lines. Having the extra cinnector makes sure there's enough
    copper for the load of the CPU.

    Wes Newell, Dec 15, 2004
  8. TJ Sackville-West

    kony Guest

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 18:37:57 GMT, Wes Newell
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 11:36:06 +0000, Adam wrote:
    >

    >>> The 4 pin 12v connector was introduced with the P4, after your PSu was
    >>> built. BTW, AMD recommends a 300W PSU minimum for the K7 line. But I've
    >>> run a couple on 250W nits.
    >>>

    >> I was under the impression that the additional connector not only
    >> provided more power but isolated power and ground planes for the CPU.
    >>

    >What the board does with it depends on the board, but as far as the PSU is
    >concerned, it's just another 12v line coming from the same place as the
    >other 12v lines. Having the extra cinnector makes sure there's enough
    >copper for the load of the CPU.

    True it's often just another lead from the same 12V rail
    (ignoring newer split-rail designs) BUT with the switch to
    ATX 2.03 some may also have shifted to more 12V current
    bias. In other words, typical 200-250W PSU bought today
    might be much more suitable for powering a (12V based VRM
    circuit) than an old PSU.

    Granted the label is "supposed" to help guide on in these
    choices but then we're back to the same timless argument
    about whether one can trust the label on any particular
    generic power supply.

    kony, Dec 15, 2004
  9. TJ Sackville-West

    TJ Guest

    Thanks for the advice.I bought a 400W PSU. Started up OK first time

    - Tuff Test lite shows all VGA OK - only problem is Windows 98 won't
    boot from the drive I had before.

    Tried another HDD and that won't boot either.

    Even tried booting from the CD ROM to install Sus Linux 9 and that
    seemed to go into a void too

    Is there some kind of a test probgam I can download to run from either
    CD or floppie to check the board in DOS?

    Thanks

    TJ

    TJ, Dec 19, 2004
  10. TJ Sackville-West

    Trent© Guest

    On 19 Dec 2004 15:05:31 -0800, "TJ" <> wrote:

    >Thanks for the advice.I bought a 400W PSU. Started up OK first time
    >
    >- Tuff Test lite shows all VGA OK - only problem is Windows 98 won't
    >boot from the drive I had before.
    >
    >Tried another HDD and that won't boot either.
    >
    >Even tried booting from the CD ROM to install Sus Linux 9 and that
    >seemed to go into a void too
    >
    >Is there some kind of a test probgam I can download to run from either
    >CD or floppie to check the board in DOS?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >TJ

    Did you try booting into the BIOS?...or a 98 rescue disk? Check your
    boot options in the BIOS.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Dec 20, 2004