PS3 GPU: 1.8 TFLOPs ~ Teraflops

Discussion in 'Video Cards' started by PSX3, May 17, 2005.

  1. PSX3

    PSX3 Guest

    http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614682p1.html

    Playstation3's Nvidia-designed graphics processor ~ GPU:

    -RSX aka Reality Synthesizer.
    -runs at 550 Mhz
    -has 1.8 TFLOPS / Teraflops floating point performance.
    -is said to be more than twice as powerful as GeForce 6800
    -300 million transistors (unconfirmed)
    - Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels

    sounds like PS3 will be at least as powerful as SGI's Infinite Reality
    16-pipe rack systems. (late 1990s)
    each of their pipes could do about 10 million textured polygons/sec with
    everything on.

    the PS2 was about as powerful as 2 Infinite Reality pipes. (20 mpps)

    PS3 should easily rival or surpass 16 Infinite Reality pipes (160 mpps)

    since Xbox360 pushes 500 million polys/sec and 1500 million vertices/sec
    (i'm going by the specs floating around) then PS3 should be almost twice
    as powerful.

    my guess: 3000 million (3 billion) vertices/sec - 1000 million (1
    billion) polygons/sec

    even if you figure in that that is PEAK theoretical performance, even 1/5
    of that: 200 million polys/sec
    and 600 million vertices/sec is on par with a 16 pipe Infinite Reality
    system which would cost $100,000 PER pipe, IIRC.

    PSX3, May 17, 2005

  2. PSX3

    PSX3 Guest

    http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/16/news_6124681.html

    "Sony also unveiled the PS3's graphics chip, the RSX "Reality Synthesizer"
    based on Nvidia technology. The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel
    precision, 1080p resolution, some of the highest HD resolution around. The
    RSX also has 512mb of graphics render memory and is capable of 100 billion
    shader operations and 51 billion dot products per second. It also has over
    300 million transistors, larger than any processor available commercially
    today. It will be manufactured using the 90nm process with 8 layers of
    metal. The RSX is more powerful than two GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards,
    which would cost roughly $1000 total if bought today."

    so it is 300 million transistors. that's twice as much as Xbox360's R500
    GPU.

    the Xbox360 can do 9 billion dot products per second. the PS3 can do 51
    billion.

    Xbox360 can do 48 billion shader operations per second, PS3 can do 100
    billion. shader operations per second

    it's clear that PS3 is less of a leap over Xbox360 that PS2 was over
    Dreamcast, but, PS3 is still more powerful

    PSX3, May 17, 2005

  3. PSX3

    NightSky 421 Guest

    "PSX3" <> wrote in message
    > http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614682p1.html
    >
    > Playstation3's Nvidia-designed graphics processor ~ GPU:
    >
    > -RSX aka Reality Synthesizer.
    > -runs at 550 Mhz
    > -has 1.8 TFLOPS / Teraflops floating point performance.
    > -is said to be more than twice as powerful as GeForce 6800
    > -300 million transistors (unconfirmed)
    > - Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels

    All this over something that most people will hook up to a standard 480i
    television. Even if that isn't the case, I have to wonder if this whole
    thing is simply a battle between Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo simply to see
    whose balls are the biggest. I also have to wonder how much power these new
    gaming consoles will consume. To me, the winner is the console with the
    games that have the best gameplay.

    NightSky 421, May 17, 2005
  4. PSX3

    Glitch Guest

    NightSky 421 wrote:
    To me, the winner is the console with the
    > games that have the best gameplay.

    The PS( 1 or 2) was always the clear winner in this area. The PS2 is
    weaker (graphicly speaking) than the Xbox or GameCube but it's still the
    best console. Why? Because it has a plethora of high quality games
    (FF,MGS,GT,GTA,PES,....) unlike both X and GC.
    Somehow I don't think that is gonna change in the upcoming generation of
    consoles.

    --
    Glitches are BAD!!!
    Beware...

    ICQ:275699535

    Glitch, May 17, 2005
  5. PSX3

    Black Shuck Guest

    NightSky 421 got up from the bar and shouted: :

    > All this over something that most people will hook up to a standard 480i
    > television. Even if that isn't the case, I have to wonder if this whole
    > thing is simply a battle between Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo simply to see
    > whose balls are the biggest. I also have to wonder how much power these new
    > gaming consoles will consume. To me, the winner is the console with the
    > games that have the best gameplay.

    Sure, but Sony are winning on both counts. Not only do they have the
    best hardware spec on paper, they have all their back catalog
    compatibility (XBox360 has "selected backwards compatibility"), they
    have a shitload of decent game studios and titles chomping at the bit
    with those hardware specs.

    The only thing that could let it down, is software SDK's (which
    Microsoft are very good at and which is bound to be DirectX derived).

    I'm pretty sure Microsoft are shitting bricks at the moment, they have
    certainly been caught with their trousers down on this one.

    They may have the 6 month lead to market, but Sony have awesome specs,
    and other marketing tricks, namely PSP.

    PSP - Selling by the bucket-load now in the US, and guess what console
    will integrate seamlessly with the PSP (clue: it's not got 360 in the
    title), Sony are getting their customers TODAY, and will lure them with
    PSP-PS3 integration (and full PS2 back compatibility). Wondered why the
    PS3 has Wireless networking as std, and so does the PSP. It does not
    take a rocket scientist to see where it's going...

    Black Shuck, May 17, 2005
  6. PSX3

    DaveW Guest

    WHY are you posting these rants about PSX3 to the wrong Newsgroups?

    --
    DaveW

    DaveW, May 18, 2005
  7. PSX3

    NightSky 421 Guest

    "Black Shuck" <> wrote in message

    > Sure, but Sony are winning on both counts. Not only do they have the
    > best hardware spec on paper, they have all their back catalog
    > compatibility (XBox360 has "selected backwards compatibility"), they
    > have a shitload of decent game studios and titles chomping at the bit
    > with those hardware specs.
    >
    > The only thing that could let it down, is software SDK's (which
    > Microsoft are very good at and which is bound to be DirectX derived).
    >
    > I'm pretty sure Microsoft are shitting bricks at the moment, they have
    > certainly been caught with their trousers down on this one.
    >
    > They may have the 6 month lead to market, but Sony have awesome specs,
    > and other marketing tricks, namely PSP.
    >
    > PSP - Selling by the bucket-load now in the US, and guess what console
    > will integrate seamlessly with the PSP (clue: it's not got 360 in the
    > title), Sony are getting their customers TODAY, and will lure them with
    > PSP-PS3 integration (and full PS2 back compatibility). Wondered why the
    > PS3 has Wireless networking as std, and so does the PSP. It does not
    > take a rocket scientist to see where it's going...

    Even I must concede that Sony will likely "win" the next round of the
    console wars. I'm sure Microsoft will hold it's own with the Xbox 360, but
    I think the only question mark at this point is if people will like the
    controller that comes with the PS3. Maybe there will be after-market
    controllers that more closely follow the ergonomics of the PS2 controllers,
    but we will see. Still, full backwards compatibility will score Sony some
    points with users. I'm not thrilled about selective backwards compatibility
    that the Xbox 360 will have.

    NightSky 421, May 18, 2005
  8. PSX3

    chrisv Guest

    PSX3 wrote:

    >Playstation3's Nvidia-designed graphics processor ~ GPU:

    Abuse notice sent.

    chrisv, May 18, 2005
  9. PSX3

    Black Shuck Guest

    NightSky 421 got up from the bar and shouted: :
    > "Black Shuck" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Sure, but Sony are winning on both counts. Not only do they have the
    >>best hardware spec on paper, they have all their back catalog
    >>compatibility (XBox360 has "selected backwards compatibility"), they
    >>have a shitload of decent game studios and titles chomping at the bit
    >>with those hardware specs.
    >>
    >>The only thing that could let it down, is software SDK's (which
    >>Microsoft are very good at and which is bound to be DirectX derived).
    >>
    >>I'm pretty sure Microsoft are shitting bricks at the moment, they have
    >>certainly been caught with their trousers down on this one.
    >>
    >>They may have the 6 month lead to market, but Sony have awesome specs,
    >>and other marketing tricks, namely PSP.
    >>
    >>PSP - Selling by the bucket-load now in the US, and guess what console
    >>will integrate seamlessly with the PSP (clue: it's not got 360 in the
    >>title), Sony are getting their customers TODAY, and will lure them with
    >>PSP-PS3 integration (and full PS2 back compatibility). Wondered why the
    >>PS3 has Wireless networking as std, and so does the PSP. It does not
    >>take a rocket scientist to see where it's going...

    > Even I must concede that Sony will likely "win" the next round of the
    > console wars. I'm sure Microsoft will hold it's own with the Xbox 360, but
    > I think the only question mark at this point is if people will like the
    > controller that comes with the PS3. Maybe there will be after-market
    > controllers that more closely follow the ergonomics of the PS2 controllers,
    > but we will see. Still, full backwards compatibility will score Sony some
    > points with users. I'm not thrilled about selective backwards compatibility
    > that the Xbox 360 will have.

    Has anyone seen the PSP-PS3 planned integration? It's extremely cool.
    The PSP not only acts as a portable game console, but you can use it as
    a controller for the PS3, and the display will show ingame stats etc, as
    a 2nd monitor to the main screen action. Awesome integration. The
    added posibilities of having your media on the PS3 (movies/music) and
    being able to access them from whithin you wireless range on the PSP is
    alse impressive.

    Black Shuck, May 20, 2005
  10. "Black Shuck" <> wrote in message
    > NightSky 421 got up from the bar and shouted: :
    >> "Black Shuck" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Sure, but Sony are winning on both counts. Not only do they have the
    >>>best hardware spec on paper, they have all their back catalog
    >>>compatibility (XBox360 has "selected backwards compatibility"), they
    >>>have a shitload of decent game studios and titles chomping at the bit
    >>>with those hardware specs.
    >>>
    >>>The only thing that could let it down, is software SDK's (which
    >>>Microsoft are very good at and which is bound to be DirectX derived).
    >>>
    >>>I'm pretty sure Microsoft are shitting bricks at the moment, they have
    >>>certainly been caught with their trousers down on this one.
    >>>
    >>>They may have the 6 month lead to market, but Sony have awesome specs,
    >>>and other marketing tricks, namely PSP.
    >>>
    >>>PSP - Selling by the bucket-load now in the US, and guess what console
    >>>will integrate seamlessly with the PSP (clue: it's not got 360 in the
    >>>title), Sony are getting their customers TODAY, and will lure them with
    >>>PSP-PS3 integration (and full PS2 back compatibility). Wondered why the
    >>>PS3 has Wireless networking as std, and so does the PSP. It does not
    >>>take a rocket scientist to see where it's going...

    >> Even I must concede that Sony will likely "win" the next round of the
    >> console wars. I'm sure Microsoft will hold it's own with the Xbox 360,
    >> but
    >> I think the only question mark at this point is if people will like the
    >> controller that comes with the PS3. Maybe there will be after-market
    >> controllers that more closely follow the ergonomics of the PS2
    >> controllers,
    >> but we will see. Still, full backwards compatibility will score Sony
    >> some
    >> points with users. I'm not thrilled about selective backwards
    >> compatibility
    >> that the Xbox 360 will have.
    >>

    > Has anyone seen the PSP-PS3 planned integration? It's extremely cool. The
    > PSP not only acts as a portable game console, but you can use it as a
    > controller for the PS3, and the display will show ingame stats etc, as a
    > 2nd monitor to the main screen action. Awesome integration. The added
    > posibilities of having your media on the PS3 (movies/music) and being able
    > to access them from whithin you wireless range on the PSP is alse
    > impressive.

    Yes, but not to exclude the fact that you'll be able to access your ps3 from
    anywhere in the world and download data from the HDD to the psp, provided
    you've got a wireless internet connection where ever you are.

    Brenden D. Chase, May 20, 2005
  11. --

    Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.
    "chrisv" <> wrote in message
    > PSX3 wrote:
    >
    > >Playstation3's Nvidia-designed graphics processor ~ GPU:

    > Abuse notice sent.

    I'm sure that will get you somewhere.

    Roger Christie, May 21, 2005
  12. PSX3

    Guest

    Re: PS3 GPU: 1.8 TFLOPs ~ Teraflops

    PSX3 wrote:
    > sounds like PS3 will be at least as powerful as SGI's Infinite

    Reality
    > 16-pipe rack systems. (late 1990s)
    > each of their pipes could do about 10 million textured polygons/sec

    with
    > everything on.

    Do you have to have special training to post comparative nonsense like
    this, or does it come naturally?

    Ian.

    , May 23, 2005
  13. PSX3

    Chris Barts Guest

    In: <rbtje.19231$iU.10424@lakeread05>, "Brenden D. Chase" <> wrote:

    >Yes, but not to exclude the fact that you'll be able to access your ps3 from
    >anywhere in the world and download data from the HDD to the psp, provided
    >you've got a wireless internet connection where ever you are.

    Does anybody else see a huge, gaping security hole here?

    Chris Barts, Aug 18, 2005