    Or, does anyone have any photos showing a PIC connected to a CPU?

    Thanks.

    , Jan 22, 2007

  2. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > I have a D820LP motherboard for a Dell, and I'd like to find the
    > Programmable Interrupt Controller chip on it and see how it's
    > connected to the CPU. I've looked all over the board, and I don't
    > see anything that says 8259A or APIC. Any ideas how to find this?
    >
    > Or, does anyone have any photos showing a PIC connected to a CPU?
    >
    > Thanks.

    If the ICH0 Southbridge is on your motherboard (because I'm not
    certain of the chipset details)...

    82801AA / 82801AB Southbridge ICH / ICH0
    http://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/29065503.pdf

    PDF page 3 says ICH0 Southbridge has inside it:

    "Interrupt Controller
    -Two Cascaded 82C59
    -Integrated I/O APIC Capability
    -15 Interrupts Support in 8259 Mode,
    24 Supported in I/O APIC Mode.
    -Supports Serial Interrupt Protocol"

    And on PDF page 34 it explains the interrupt interface on the ICH0.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jan 22, 2007