    I need to reinstall Windows XP Home, but can't find my disk. The Key however
    is on a sticker on my case. Can I use someone elses disk, and just input my
    numbers? Thanks.

    Blaine, Nov 6, 2008

  2. Blaine

    usasma Guest

    Probably the easiest way to remedy this is to contact the manufacturer of the
    PC and ask for a set of restore/recovery disks. Some manufacturer's give
    them out for free, while others charge a small fee.

    - John

    usasma, Nov 6, 2008

  3. Blaine

    PaulM Guest

    Yes you can. Make sure it is Home or Pro.

    --
    Paul's XP and Vista Tweaks
    www.paulsxp.com

    Paul's XP and Vista Help Forum
    www.paulsxp.com/forum

    LiveSupport
    -------------------
    www.supportspace.com/?aiu=paulm

    PaulM, Nov 6, 2008
  4. Blaine

    Malke Guest

    Blaine wrote:

    > I need to reinstall Windows XP Home, but can't find my disk. The Key
    > however
    > is on a sticker on my case. Can I use someone elses disk, and just input
    > my
    > numbers? Thanks.

    Since you have the Product Key this is probably an OEM install; therefore
    you will need a same-brand or generic OEM install disk. A retail XP Home
    disk won't work, nor will a branded OEM for a different make of computer (a
    Dell when you're trying to install on an HP) that is BIOS-locked to a
    particular motherboard. However, if you have a friend who has the same type
    of computer - both Dells for instance - then certainly you can use her Dell
    XP Home install disk. In that particular case, you won't even need to enter
    the Product Key during installation.

    If you have an OEM machine like an HP, Compaq, Gateway, etc. it would be a
    better idea to contact their tech support and order recovery disks. These
    are usually very inexpensive and will return your computer to factory
    condition, including all the necessary drivers for your hardware.

    If you'd like more help, please post back with the make/model of your
    computer.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP
    Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

    Malke, Nov 6, 2008
  5. Blaine

    PaulM Guest

    That’s bull!! All Xp home and Pro cd are the same, it’s the Key that will
    determine if its OEM or not.

    PaulM, Nov 6, 2008
  6. Blaine

    Malke Guest

    PaulM wrote:

    > That?s bull!! All Xp home and Pro cd are the same, it?s the Key that will
    > determine if its OEM or not.

    I'm sorry but you are incorrect.

    Malke

    Malke, Nov 6, 2008
  7. Blaine

    Blaine Guest

    The sticker says it's an OEM product, but it was built by small local shop,
    that has since gone out of business.

    Blaine, Nov 6, 2008
  8. In that case, another Store-bought OEM disk will work, even if you borrow it. A big-box vendors
    OEM most likely will not as they are keyed to having a specific set of BIOS chips.

    Richard in AZ, Nov 6, 2008
  9. Blaine

    PaulM Guest

    I can use any XP home or Pro CD to install on any computer with their key. I
    have done it many times.

    PaulM, Nov 6, 2008
  10. "Blaine" <> wrote in message
    >I need to reinstall Windows XP Home, but can't find my disk. The Key
    >however
    > is on a sticker on my case. Can I use someone elses disk, and just input
    > my
    > numbers? Thanks.

    Only if the disk you borrow is of the same type, ie. OEM (specific vendor),
    OEM (generic), Upgrade, Retail, VL, etc. You'll find out fairly early in
    the install.

    Do back up your system first, and if you have a spare drive to pop in place,
    you can test the key and disck combination without risking your current
    setup.

    HTH
    -pk

    Patrick Keenan, Nov 6, 2008
  11. Blaine

    Ken Blake Guest

    "Blaine" <> wrote in message

    >I need to reinstall Windows XP Home, but can't find my disk. The Key
    >however
    > is on a sticker on my case. Can I use someone elses disk, and just input
    > my
    > numbers? Thanks.

    Yes, *if* the borrowed CD matches yours with respect to Home vs.
    Professional, Retail vs.OEM, and Full vs. Upgrade. If it fails to match in
    any of those categories, your key will not work.

    Ken Blake, Nov 6, 2008
  12. Blaine

    Daave Guest

    PaulM wrote:
    > I can use any XP home or Pro CD to install on any computer with their
    > key. I have done it many times.

    With *whose* key?

    I'm not quite sure I understand. Do you mean you can use an XP Pro CD
    for a clean install if your key/license is for XP Home? I've never heard
    of this being possible.

    Daave, Nov 6, 2008
  13. Blaine

    PaulM Guest

    NO, your key must be for Home or Pro. A key for XP Home will not work on Pro
    or a key for Pro will not work with Home..

    PaulM, Nov 6, 2008
  14. Blaine

    Daave Guest

    When you challenged Malke, I wasn't sure what you are talking about.
    That's one of the disadvantages of top-posting and not snipping. I
    suspect she assumed the same thing I did.

    So what were you referring to? Perhaps the content of this page?:

    http://www.thetechguide.com/howto/setuppini.html

    "PaulM" <> wrote in message
    > NO, your key must be for Home or Pro. A key for XP Home will not work
    > on Pro or a key for Pro will not work with Home..
    >
    > --
    > Paul's XP and Vista Tweaks
    > www.paulsxp.com
    >
    > Paul's XP and Vista Help Forum
    > www.paulsxp.com/forum
    >
    > LiveSupport
    > -------------------
    > www.supportspace.com/?aiu=paulm
    >
    > "Daave" <> wrote in message
    >> PaulM wrote:
    >>> I can use any XP home or Pro CD to install on any computer with
    >>> their
    >>> key. I have done it many times.

    Daave, Nov 7, 2008
  15. Blaine

    PaulM Guest

    I do not remember, I am lost at this time.

    Just forget it I guess.

    PaulM, Nov 7, 2008