Probs installing Mint 10

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thought I'd finally get round to installing Mint 10 only to run into a prob.

The machine this distro was going into is centred around an Asus M2N-Sli motherboard with AMD Dual core 'Black Edition' 3.2Ghz CPU and has five SATA HDD's. The primary drive(s) are in slide out caddies for ease of swapping OS's. I loaded in a Hitachi 250Gb drive formatted to FAT32 into the primary drive slot.

The BIOS sees it and so does the Linux Mint 10 Live install. But when I go to install and choose 'Format whole disk and install there' (or words to that effect) all Mint sees is three of the five disks, none of which are the one I want to install to. Choosing other install options within Mint 10 live install also fails to see this disk.

Ok, I guess I could open the case up and disconnect the other four drives but I wonder why should Mint 10 not see this disk? Never had this prob with any other Linux Distro installs.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks Urmas, that sorted it :thumb:

So, this sorted out the prob: > sudo apt-get remove dmraid

It then recognised the drive and I started the install.

However, it crashed, citing a probable hardware fault.

I've cleaned the DVD but it could be one of the following:

1) Faulty ISO (silly me didn't use the md5 sum check)
2) Dodgy hard disk (I'm giving it a surface scan as I type)
3) Just one of those glitches you get sometimes.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Looks like Urmas turned up trumps again :D

How are you finding your love affair with the penguin ?

Why not try the rolling release version ? No more installing the latest version just one install and then updating which you do anyway. Just a thought. :cool:

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1725

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Love affair with a penguin?

Well I've been accused of a few things in me time but... :D

How do I find it? Bitty, incomplete, like eating a full course meal and still feeling peckish.

And on the good side: Fast, efficient, quick boot and shut down, good graphics and sound, oodles of free software that does the job well.

Getting there and getting better but it still doesn't do everything I can do in Mr Ballmer's offering, unfortunately.

Mate of mine considered Linux, he a DJ but it won't run the software he uses, like Acid Pro & Traktor.

I shall look into the rolling upgrade, could be a goodie :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Re-formatted 250Gb SATA HDD and carried out surface scan which took about two hours - no probs found.

For the format/scan btw, I used a version of Paragon Disk Manager which must be 14 years old and boots from a floppy disk. This software was a freebie lite version and over the years has been invaluable to me.

Anyhow, tried the install again and it went without a glitch.

Downloading and installing updates right now.

Mint 10, 'Julia' 64 Bit edition with Gnome.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Go figure.

450pxfirstfolioallswell.jpg

:thumb:

Ask a Question