problems with Zorin

Reaction score
:blush:Hi all well I have downloaded Zorin 9 32bit core and find it great but I am a bit puzzled about downloading software. I decided to use Evolution as my email client but now that I have done that how do I get it to how do I get it onto the OS so that I can use it . It shows as two files and I am guessing that to get it to work I need to do something to show as a icon so that I can click on it to register a email address so that I can use it. I find the speed of operation of Zorin is much faster than W7 but I am only using the 32bit as a test on a separate drive and getting used to the differences of Zorin and W7 and will be downloading the 64 bit ultimate when I have mastered the 32 bit core version.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm wondering why you used the 32 bit version if your system is 64 bit?

One version is no less complicated than the other, the 64 Bit version would have run smoother and faster.

Downloading software is just the same as it is in Win 7 but it's easier to use the Distro's software manager/repository.

I don't know Zorin so I suggest you consult Zorin's Help manual and look for 'downloading and installing software' or similar.

As I said - reading required ;)

btw, we now have a gazillion threads on the same subject. It would be easier for you (and us) if you'd keep all Zorin install subects/questions in one thread.

Reaction score
Well it is like this I got the 32bit core version download as it was free because Zorin had run out of the 64bit on DVD so I thought if I had the 32 bit I could play with it and it wouldn't matter if I broke it and would give me experience with the OS:D

Reaction score
Not if you get the 64 bit Premium version they charge17euros but that includes P&P and all the add on's etc, etc

Reaction score
I would recommend that you look on Ebay for the 32bit free version on DVD which they sell for a couple of quid +p&p that way you will not have to veryfiy the download which was a bit complicated for me at least.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
All non-professional Linux Distros are free.

Download, burn to disk, install, then add free software or 'Apps' if you want to be all up to date with the vernacular.

Feckit was right, paying money for Linux severely defeats the object (well, one of them anyway).

I've never paid a penny for any Linux distro or open source software.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Bootneck ... you need to pass the first hurdle in your foray into Linux, that is, downloading and burning the ISO. Admittedly, this is an easy task in Windows, so do it before the change. :D

I have 18 Linux CD/DVDs, all free!

Reaction score
:(My foray into Zorin has come to an end, it really is a aesthetically pleasing distro but really not for normal Windows users as I found it like I have for other Linux distro's . The main problem with it is that although it looks like Windows you need Patience and some understanding of Linux and script and I have at my age got the patience or the tenacity of getting the best out of it. It is a shame that Microsoft have not brought out such a aesthetically pleasing piece bit of kit. So I am back to the boring old W7. If any of you penguin lovers would like a copy of ether the 32 bit Zorin 9 LTS core edition or the 64 bit Premium edition I have them on DVD and you are welcome to them for the price of postage.:thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
ah well, never mind, it happens to the best of us ... If it wasn't for the lack of games support, the games I play, then I'd still be using Linux.

:user:

Reaction score
:DI did not give up I have dual booted Zorin and W7 and getting used to Zorin and when I have mastered it I will give windows the boot.:thumb: Perseverance is the name of the game

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Congrats on your perseverance bootneck.

But if you've managed to get a dual booting system going ok and you're using a paid-for version of Win 7, why bother giving Windows the boot?

Apart from any moralistic or political argument, it's always handy to have a working system of Windows handy cos you can bet your bottom dollar that one day there will be some software you want to use that only runs in Microsoft's offering.

You don't have to boot Windows but it may be good to know it's there if you want it - more strings to your bow, as they say.

Reaction score
;)Too true Mr Flops. :thumb:Now I have duel booted when I boot up I get a Zorin splash screen which asks me what OS I want it log into and now it takes a long time to log into W7 but I do not mind that as it is Zorin I need to master:bow:

Ask a Question