problems with scrolling down/up

Reaction score
I have recently built my own pc (with help!) and found that when i scroll up or down pages the movement is very jerky. (like the page is underwater and moves in "waves").

My computer specs are:
Athlon XP2600 CPU
Asus A7N8X-X motherboard
Rage fury maxx graphics card
2X memory sticks 512Mb DDR+256Mb DDR
80 Gb barracuda Hard drive

Can anyone help me cure this very frustrating problem?

Mnay thanks,
Jim O

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Drivers ... make sure your using the latest.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yup - that sounds about right... go to www.ati.com and download the latest drivers for your graphics card, as you are probably using the default ones windows comes with. This sometimes causes the display to refresh very slowly, and do exactly that which you described :)

Reaction score
I have been to the ati site and downloaded the driver that i think is mine ( the rage fury MAXX is not listed only on windows ME ) my operating system is XP pro. I follow the sequence for download and it becomes vague with the specific graphics cards.
I downloaded two( one of them has to be right) and the install failed due to " my display driver is not compatible with the display adapter installed in your system"

Any ideas? (or am missing something really simple)

muckshifter

Reaction score
One reason I cannot stand ATI ... one day they'll make some drivers that work. :eek:

You need XP drivers ... if they haven't got any XP specific drivers for your card ... try Windows Update Site ... or change your card. :(

Now I'm sure/hope Flopps will be along to correct me ... :D

Reaction score
Right........i have been surfing the net for about 3 hours looking for a solution. The general feeling out there is that the ATI Rage Fury Maxx is a big old pile of ****, and not compatable with windows XP. Mainly due to the lack of support through ATI. therefore, I shall be off to my local computer shop to buy another graphics card. Any suggestions? the ususal price constaints apply!

muckshifter

Reaction score
I'll get in here first ...

:D

There are really only two manufacturers of the chipset ... nVidia & ATI. :brow:

My personal favourite is the nVidia ... an FX5200 that's by Gainward. (128MB Gainward FX PowerPack pro/660 TV-DVI 8x AGP) around the £50 mark. It will go in your system no problem.

There are other cheaper 'Makers' of the above ... have a look around the stores, don't buy anything ... then check with us or the Internet.

You can always buy another ATI card. :crazy: … wait for a couple of other to reply here … but try and get an AGP 8x that is direct X 9 compatible.

Mucks :cool:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The newer ATI graphics cards are actually really good, and among some of the best out there... but I must admit, I did not care for them very much around the time of the ATI Rage Fury Pro/MAXX etc...

I have heard good things about the FX5200 graphics cards, and they are some of the best priced around. Take a look at this thread below for a couple of users who bought one:

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/showthread.php?threadid=3650&highlight=fx5200

Reaction score
Just got in from the shops.....and have bought the G Force 5200 128mb 64 bit one.
Thanks for all your time and effort guys.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Good luck ... use the drivers supplied, then pop on up to Windows Update Site for the latest drivers. ;)

Ask a Question