    there something that I can easily download to fix the problem (i.e. drivers,
    etc)?

    Thanks a lot.

    Mark S, Sep 16, 2009

  2. Mark S

    Lem Guest

    Mark S wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > For some strange reason, I had lost my 'fax' option for a printer (which I
    > originally had and used to send and receive faxes). Now when I go to
    > re-install the 'Fax Services' option from the "Add/Remove Windows Components"
    > I receive this error:
    >
    > "Setup could not copy one or more files. The specific error code is 0x4b8.
    > Press OK to continue or Cancel to stop setup and try again...."
    >
    > Does anyone have a solution for this problem? Is it a driver issue? Is
    > there something that I can easily download to fix the problem (i.e. drivers,
    > etc)?
    >
    > Thanks a lot.

    Is there an indication of *which* files could not be copied?
    See FAXFAQ #1&2: http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/FAQFAX.htm

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:

    Lem, Sep 16, 2009

  3. Mark S

    Mark S Guest

    Thanks for the response.

    It does not state which files can't be loaded. I looked at your link, and
    could not get the problem resolved.

    Mark S, Sep 16, 2009
  4. Mark S

    Lem Guest

    Mark S wrote:
    > Thanks for the response.
    >
    > It does not state which files can't be loaded. I looked at your link, and
    > could not get the problem resolved.
    >
    > "Lem" wrote:
    >
    >> Mark S wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> For some strange reason, I had lost my 'fax' option for a printer (which I
    >>> originally had and used to send and receive faxes). Now when I go to
    >>> re-install the 'Fax Services' option from the "Add/Remove Windows Components"
    >>> I receive this error:
    >>>
    >>> "Setup could not copy one or more files. The specific error code is 0x4b8.
    >>> Press OK to continue or Cancel to stop setup and try again...."
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have a solution for this problem? Is it a driver issue? Is
    >>> there something that I can easily download to fix the problem (i.e. drivers,
    >>> etc)?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks a lot.
    >>>

    >> Is there an indication of *which* files could not be copied?
    >> See FAXFAQ #1&2: http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/FAQFAX.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lem -- MS-MVP
    >>
    >> Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
    >> http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/40th/index.html

    Sorry, I don't have any further thoughts except ...

    just a shot in the dark:
    Start > Run > services.msc [click OK]
    scroll down and see if there is an entry for "Fax." If so, what is
    its Status and Startup Type?

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:

    Lem, Sep 16, 2009
  5. Mark S

    Dora Guest

    I'm having the same problem. I'm running Windows XP service pack 2. I
    never had the fax component installed. I click on add windows components
    and check fax service, and it says it can't copy files like fxsdrv.dl_ .
    My Windows files are in C:\i386, I look there, and the files are there. I
    copied all the fxs___ files to my C:\ drive and directed it there, and it
    still says it can't copy them.

    Online and at Microsoft knowledge base it says this is a problem with
    corruption of a Microsoft security thingy due to a bug that Microsoft put in
    its operating system. We are not supposed to mess with teh security thingy
    except as a last resort but the only way to fix it is to mess with the
    security thingy. Catastrophic but vaguely defined things could happen when
    we mess with the security thingy. The LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG
    and complex instructions on how to fix the security thingy are just as clear
    as mud. There are hotfixes, some of which are supposed to avoid the
    security thingy coming unhinged, that only work when you completely reinstall
    your hard drive and everything else on your system. Or not. There may or
    may not be hotfixes that fix the security thingy; the explanation is as clear
    as mud.

    Now, I didn't even understand the place someplace ELSE to check if my
    security thingy is even corrupt.

    Elsewhere I found downloadable free updates to install fax service on
    earlier editions on Widnows, but it isn't clear if they'll get fax service
    working on Windows XP if the security thingy is corrupt.

    Can someone please walk me through what to do in PLAIN SIMPLE ENGLISH!

    Thanks!

    Yours,
    Dora Smith

    Dora, Sep 20, 2009
  6. Mark S

    Lem Guest

    You DON'T seem to have the "same problem." That's why it's always a good
    idea to start your own thread instead of piggybacking on an old one.

    Your problem appears to be quite a bit simpler than the original
    poster's: go read FAXFAQ #1&2: http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/FAQFAX.htm

    Files with names like fxsapi.dl_ and fxscfgwz.dl_ are compressed, and
    must be uncompressed (into files named fxsapi.dll and fxscfgwz.dll)
    before they can be used.

    First, see if you have a directory named C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
    Check to see if the expanded versions of the files are here. If so, just
    point the Add Windows Component wizard to this directory instead of to
    C:\i386. Only use files from C:\i386 if they are not in
    c:\ServicePackFiles\i386.

    If the "missing" files are in C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 but are
    compressed (that is, the last character of their name is an underscore),
    you will have to uncompress them.

    The directions in the FAXFAQ for expanding files are out of date. The
    following directions are to expand a file named fxsapi.dl_ which is in
    the c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 directory. Modify as needed for
    each of the files that you need to expand. Obviously, if the files are
    in C:\i386, use that in the first part of the command.

    1. Open a Command Prompt window by going to Start > Run and typing "cmd"
    (without quotes), then click OK.
    2. In the Command Prompt window type the following. Do NOT press Enter
    until the end of the line.

    expand c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\fxsapi.dl_
    c:\windows\system32\fxsapi.dll [press Enter]

    When you have expanded all of the files, close the command prompt window
    by typing Exit [press Enter]

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:

    Lem, Sep 21, 2009
  7. Mark S

    Dora Guest

    Something like that did indeed solve my problem. I expanded all of the fxs
    files and not just the dll's. They expanded with the same file names and I
    had to rename them. I also had to expand them to a different file before
    they'd expand.

    The other problem is a problem with a security thingy that you have to do
    something complicated to unravel, and noone's mentioned that here at all.

    So it doesn't sound like you really know what might be the same problem.
    And you didn't suggest either solution until now. Sniff.

    Yours,
    Dora Smith

    Dora, Sep 21, 2009
  8. Just for grins, could you give us a reference to the Knowledge base article
    describing the "Security Thingy" and the
    "LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG and complex instructions on how to fix
    it"? I'd like to have a look at it; if you can give me the article number,
    I can be sure I'm looking at the same article.

    Hal
    --
    Hal Hostetler, CPBE
    www.kvoa.com -- KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ.