Excel Problem with x axis labels in Excel 2010 chart

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a chart that worked perfectly in excel 2003 that has an issue in 2010.
I am displaying monthly figures on a chart where the months appear across the x axis and are drawn from a different sheet containing all the data (I have a column with the months listed and the corresponding data across each row).
I have a large amount of data in the 0-240 range and one data series is in the 5000-6000 range. To overcome this spread of data I selected secondary axis for the data series with the higher range however when I did this, the x axis labels lost thier date format i.e. went from mmm-yy to their numerical equivalent. To add insult to injury, using Select Data and editing the Horizontal Axis Labels does not affect the x axis labels. I have a work around at the moment which is to click on the data series that uses the primary axis and change the range listed in the formula bar. This adjusts the x axis labels accordingly. :confused:
Is there a button somewhere to choose which data series the labels are linked to? Or have I just missed something obvious.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Its all good folks, I have worked it out and it was merely a lack of understanding on my part. :blush:

In the Select Data box, the first data series that shows is my higher range which has been set to the secondary axis, hence it is related to a secondary x axis (which defaults to None in the Axes dropdown of the Layout tab and hence does not show up). What I failed to be aware of is that when changing the Horizontal Axis Labels information in Select Data Source, what you change relates directly to the data series that is highlighted in the Legend Entries box beside. As the secondary axis data range is first in the list it is the default highlighted one and any changes I made weere for the secondary x axis (which at this point does not exist). I simply moved that data series to the bottom so that future users do not make the same mistake and now change the label data based on a highlighted primary axis data series. :blush:
I know I have typed this in a very longwinded manner however if you work through it, it turns out to be incredibly simple.

Ask a Question