Problem with Terminal Services

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000' started by Guest, Oct 28, 2004.

    I am having an issue with Terminal Services on 2000. I have XP
    clients that cannot connect through a firewall. To be specific, I
    have 2 clients that can connect, and all others can't. As far as I
    can tell the 2 clients have no different settings.

    TS on the server is version 5.0. All clients are 5.1. We even tried
    changing the port on the server but have still been unsuccessful,
    except for the two XP laptops.

    I put a sniffer on the network, and it doesn't appear that traffic
    even occurs between clients and the server. All clients can ping the
    server and can hit the admin share on the c drive. I even put a pc on
    the DMZ with the server and will still unable to connect, so it does
    not appear to be the FW.

    The only thing I can think of is maybe the certificates are screwed
    up. I tried the MS link on how to repair certificates (delteing a
    registry key) but it still didn't work.

    Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can get this to work?

    --
    Network Engineer
    MCSE, Network+

    Guest, Oct 28, 2004

  2. "Andrew McGraw" <> wrote in message
    > I am having an issue with Terminal Services on 2000. I have XP
    > clients that cannot connect through a firewall. To be specific, I
    > have 2 clients that can connect, and all others can't. As far as I
    > can tell the 2 clients have no different settings.
    >
    > TS on the server is version 5.0. All clients are 5.1. We even tried
    > changing the port on the server but have still been unsuccessful,
    > except for the two XP laptops.
    >
    > I put a sniffer on the network, and it doesn't appear that traffic
    > even occurs between clients and the server. All clients can ping the
    > server and can hit the admin share on the c drive. I even put a pc on
    > the DMZ with the server and will still unable to connect, so it does
    > not appear to be the FW.
    >
    > The only thing I can think of is maybe the certificates are screwed
    > up. I tried the MS link on how to repair certificates (delteing a
    > registry key) but it still didn't work.
    >
    > Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can get this to work?
    >
    > --
    > Network Engineer
    > MCSE, Network+

    What happens when you use telnet.exe (with the appropriate
    port) instead of the TS client?

    Pegasus \(MVP\), Oct 28, 2004

    If we attempt to telnet to the server using the new port (or the old port) we
    get teh connection attempt failed message. (Sorry, should have specified this
    earlier)

    Guest, Oct 28, 2004
  4. Since telnet fails too, the problem does obviously not relate
    to terminal services. Something is preventing your packets
    from geting through, either a firewall or a router. Put on a sniffer
    (e.g. Ethereal) and start analysing your traffic.

    > If we attempt to telnet to the server using the new port (or the old port)

    we
    > get teh connection attempt failed message. (Sorry, should have specified

    this
    > earlier)
    >
    > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
    >

    > > "Andrew McGraw" <> wrote in