Problem with Printer Spooler Service

Discussion in 'Windows XP Print / Fax' started by Erik Mostert, May 18, 2010.

  1. Erik Mostert

    Erik Mostert Guest

    I know that this forum is for XP related issues, but I am desperate i
    my search for an answer on the following scenario.

    I have a print server running Windows 2003 with the latest servic
    packs and updates. For as long as I have been working at the company
    there has been issues with printing every now and again. We hav
    recently the problems have become much more frequent and we started t
    investigate the problems more seriously and found the following:

    Each time the users are experiencing printing problems, there is
    string of Event ID 6161 errors in the System Event Log. We found tha
    an error occurs somewhere in the printing subsystem, but that the even
    is logged with an "error code 0 - Command completed successfully"

    Restarting the printer spooler appears to solve the problem temporaril
    but we need to find a permanent solution to the problem.

    Recently we also noticed that sometimes when we restart the printe
    spooler we are unable to see any local printers in the Printers an
    Faxes folder. When this occurs we are also unable to add any new loca
    printers. These symptoms appears to be similar to a user who does no
    have admin rights on the machine, yet we are logging in with only on
    account and that account has full admin rights on the machine.
    Sometimes if you restart the printer spooler several times, the proble
    disappears and we can see all of the printers and add new local printer
    again. This is a strange problem which I have never seen before.

    Any ideas?

    Regards

    Erik Mostert

    Erik Mostert, May 18, 2010

  2. If you also hit error 6162 you have an application that leaks GDI resources.
    Yes GDI likes to return success when it fails and the spooler happily passes
    along this information. The Office 2003 MODI printer has this issue (there
    was a patch later for this) but I recall there was a veterinary application
    that had the same issue.

    Track the GDI resources using task manager when logged onto the console of
    the local machine. If you TS to the machine be sure to run "mstsc /console"
    ..

    taskman
    Processes
    View
    Select Columns
    GDI Objects

    be sure to check Show processes for all users

    If spoolsv.exe gets above 500 most likely you have some issue. Any process
    at 10000 GDI objects can no longer allocate any more objects and weird stuff
    fails.

    If you only see 0 GDI object for spooler you are not in the console session.

    Here's the link to the TechNet print / fax forum.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverprint/threads

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    Alan Morris [MSFT], May 21, 2010

  3. Erik Mostert

    Erik Mostert Guest

    Hi Alan

    Thank you for your feedback. I monitored the GDI objects for the las
    couple of weeks and they newer go higher than 56. I think the proble
    might be related to one or more of the printer drivers. We are runnin
    a wide selection of 135 printers of different brands and models. I hav
    now replaced the Windows Printer Spooler and have started to install th
    latest available printer drivers, trying to use the Universal Printe
    Drivers as far as possible. If history is to repeat itself, we expec
    the problem to occur either today or during next week. I will post ne
    information as soon as I have something.

    --
    Erik Mostert

    Erik Mostert, May 21, 2010