Problem with File Settings Transfer Wizard

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by Guest, Sep 8, 2006.

    I am trying to use the wizard to move setting from an old computer to a new
    one. I ran the File Settings and Transfer Wizard on the old computer. The
    wizard generated a folder names USMT2.UNC and two files in that folder,
    IMG00001 (a DAT file) and a file named "system." I told the wizard to only
    load settings, not files.

    I originally put the info on a USB drive. It is too large to fit on a
    floppy. I have tried copying it to a CD, to a hard drive on another computer
    (to access via my home network), and on a second hard drive on the computer.

    Regardless of the method I have tried, I get an error message of "The
    location that you specified does not contain stored information. Please type
    a valid folder path into the edit box."

    Any ideas how I can get my setting into the new computer?

    Thanks!

    Guest, Sep 8, 2006

  2. Hi,

    See the checkpoints at the beginning of this article:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/fast.htm

    <excerpt>

    #1 Do not rename the store folder, as you may receive the following error
    when attempting to restore the files and settings to your new computer:

    The location that you specified does not contain stored information. Please
    type a valid folder path into the edit box.

    If you entered a path to a folder on a removable disk, the disk must be in
    the drive.

    If you've mistakenly renamed the store folder already, then rename it back
    (to USMT2.UNC)

    </excerpt>

    --
    Regards,

    Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
    Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

    Ramesh, MS-MVP, Sep 9, 2006

    Fromtoronto Guest

    I have the exact same problem... I create the settings, and can restore
    back onto my exisiting computer so the file is good. But cant get the
    settings on the new computer.

    Fromtoronto, Sep 27, 2006

    Fromtoronto, Sep 27, 2006
  5. Hi,

    Please read the checkpoint #2 in the following article. That helps most
    users.

    Ramesh, MS-MVP, Sep 28, 2006