Problem with Color Printing

David E. Ross

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
HP Color LaserJet CP1215

Some applications seem to print JPGs great. Others print a black box
for JPGs but do colored text okay.

An example is at <http://www.rossde.com/call_important.html>. The
half-tone "Dennis the Menace" cartoon and the full-color "Blondie"
cartoon strip are all-black rectangles with the SeaMonkey browser. The
image files for those are also all black with the GNU Image Manipulation
Program.

On the other hand, the image files print okay with a copy of Photo
Editor (imported from Windows XP) and Paint (the Windows 7 version).

Do I have a bad setup for my printer? Or is the problem within the
applications?

--
David E. Ross

The Crimea is Putin's Sudetenland.
The Ukraine will be Putin's Czechoslovakia.
See <http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_PutinUkraine.html>.

Keith Nuttle

I would look at this from the POV of the application and the Printer
Driver.

If it works via a Graphics Application, then it is a graphics rendering
problem using the browser. Browsers are notorious for having printing
problems. Browsers are maent for screen viewing, not printing.

Then you can also look at whether the printer iks using PCL5, PCL6 or
maybe even PS. The driver may make the difference for the Browser. Is
it SeaMonkey v2.31 ?
I would ensure that you are accessing the same printer in all
applications. To me it sounds like a print driver problem.

One way to check, if it is an application problem or a print driver
problem, is print to another printer. If you don't have a second
printer you may wish to download a Free PDF Printer like CuteWriter.
(http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp If you use the free
printer make sure you get both parts)

If you can print to the second printer, then you have isolated it to a
printer problem not an application problem.

I use Firefox, which is code-wise similar to Seamonkey and that page
printed correctly.

David E. Ross

I would ensure that you are accessing the same printer in all
applications. To me it sounds like a print driver problem.

One way to check, if it is an application problem or a print driver
problem, is print to another printer. If you don't have a second
printer you may wish to download a Free PDF Printer like CuteWriter.
(http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp If you use the free
printer make sure you get both parts)

If you can print to the second printer, then you have isolated it to a
printer problem not an application problem.

I use Firefox, which is code-wise similar to Seamonkey and that page
printed correctly.

Using doPDF to "print" the indicated Web page to a PDF file, I see all
images correctly in full color. When I use Acrobat Reader to print the
PDF file, however, the pale green background is black and the text is
white. The "Blondie" cartoon strips are stretched horizontally, mostly
black, with many narrow, vertical, white lines.

--
David E. Ross

The Crimea is Putin's Sudetenland.
The Ukraine will be Putin's Czechoslovakia.
See <http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_PutinUkraine.html>.

Keith Nuttle

Using doPDF to "print" the indicated Web page to a PDF file, I see all
images correctly in full color. When I use Acrobat Reader to print the
PDF file, however, the pale green background is black and the text is
white. The "Blondie" cartoon strips are stretched horizontally, mostly
black, with many narrow, vertical, white lines.

When I printed it from Firefox to CutePDF, and opened it Adobe Reader;
it came out correctly

David E. Ross

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
HP Color LaserJet CP1215

Some applications seem to print JPGs great. Others print a black box
for JPGs but do colored text okay.

An example is at <http://www.rossde.com/call_important.html>. The
half-tone "Dennis the Menace" cartoon and the full-color "Blondie"
cartoon strip are all-black rectangles with the SeaMonkey browser. The
image files for those are also all black with the GNU Image Manipulation
Program.

On the other hand, the image files print okay with a copy of Photo
Editor (imported from Windows XP) and Paint (the Windows 7 version).

Do I have a bad setup for my printer? Or is the problem within the
applications?

By the way, Web pages with colors indicating visited and unvisited links
print via SeaMonkey okay. The colors are as seen on my PC monitor.

--
David E. Ross

The Crimea is Putin's Sudetenland.
The Ukraine will be Putin's Czechoslovakia.
See <http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_PutinUkraine.html>.

David E. Ross

When I printed it from Firefox to CutePDF, and opened it Adobe Reader;
it came out correctly

It displays correctly on my PC, but it does not print correctly.

I also tried printing a PDF document that was not derived (as far as I
know) from a Web page or Word file. This was an IRS Form 1040, with a
pale green background (not covering the entire form) and pale lavender
areas where text could be input to the form. All the text contained
within the form printed white. The pale green printed solid black. The
pale lavender areas printed white. Since areas that were white or pale
lavender printed white and since all the text was white, that text was
not visible in the printed copy. Only the black text against the pale
green background was visible because that text also printed white
against a black background.

All in all, the problen is with printing, not what I see on my PC
monitor. What I see is NOT what I print.

--
[...]

This is something I am aware of but have never investigated or used.

In some Monitors you can change the color profile, to correct color to a
color standard.

This is also available in Windows 8 in from the Control Panel Appearance
and Personalization Display. As I remember it has been in every
Windows Version since Windows 3.1

It is designed for those people who work with photographs and want
absolutely perfect color reproduction.

Have you accidentally change these settings?

If so maybe some one can tell you how to set them back to the default.
As I said I am only aware it existed.

UK Traveller

"David E. Ross" wrote in message
By the way, Web pages with colors indicating visited and unvisited links
print via SeaMonkey okay. The colors are as seen on my PC monitor.

--
David E. Ross

The Crimea is Putin's Sudetenland.
The Ukraine will be Putin's Czechoslovakia.
See <http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_PutinUkraine.html>.

I have sometimes managed to cure these sort of problems in the past (using
various HP printers) by experimenting with "Color Preferences" or "Color
Management" on the "Printing Preferences" settings for the Printer. This
has been particularly useful when suffering problems with only half a
picture printing correctly within Adobe "pdf" documents.

UK Traveller