Problem after reinstallation

G

Okay, so here's my problem.

I went over and reinstalled XP Pro onto my PC. However, I forgot to copy my old documents and settings folder as a backup having expected to be able to retrieve it right away.

I deleted the old installation and put in a new installation and now I can't access my old file even though it DOES exist and I can see it in my C:\Documents And Settings folder. Can someone help please? I've got documents back there dating back to high school around 8 years ago!!!

G

Okay, so I've taken ownership. However, the problem is that no matter what happens, an error window comes up saying that the folders inside are not accessible and that access is denied. Any way to get at those?

G

I am having the same problem. Has anyone been able to determine what to do? How do I take ownership of the folder

----- Daiikun wrote: ----

Okay, so I've taken ownership. However, the problem is that no matter what happens, an error window comes up saying that the folders inside are not accessible and that access is denied. Any way to get at those?

G

Okay, surprisingly, I figured it out myself. I don't remember how you get the Security Tab but once you get it, you have to left-click on the folder, go to Sharing and Security. Once in there, you'll be able to claim ownership by going into advanced, ownership. From there, it's easy to do. I was shocked!

G

I get the same I can't see how to get the at the Security Tab. I'm running Windows XP Home not Pro, is it the same for this

L

Lance Joiner

To get the security tab in XP Home you need to boot in safe mode first.

Eggbert said:
I get the same I can't see how to get the at the Security Tab. I'm
running Windows XP Home not Pro, is it the same for this?

Ask a Question