Printer recommendations

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm looking for a new colour inkjet printer as my trusty five year old HP 843C finally bit the dust. The 843 gave really good quality but was very slow. And the usb port had packed up years ago.

I'd only just bought a new colour cartridge for it as well :(

I like HP, I don't like Epson, but I'm really not up on the latest models.

This one caught my eye, it had a good review in a PC magazine I was reading:

HP8150

Only thing I don't like is no seperate colour cartridges but other than that, seems OK to me. It's around £125.00 most everywhere.

Waddya think?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation, ME, looks like a fine printer for the price. I really liked the CD-R printing capability and the pictbridge.

I've had a Canon S750 inkjet printer for about a year now, it's fast and economical (takes 4 ink cartridges) but the quality was never as good as my HP843C. It's fine, however, for everyday use. They both cost about the same, a little less than £100.00 each, as I recall.

I'd say 85% of my printing requirements are work related. I was using the Canon, HP and also a Samsung Mono Laser printer for text documents. The Samsung is about six years old and has had an awful lot of use. The quality on that is starting to drop a little now. Toner cartridges for it cost £50.00.

With all that in mind, I am seriously considering this HP Colour laserjet for £272.00: HP 2550l

I figure that would then be the only printer I need and the reviews have been good, I checked a few out.

Even though the toner cartridges are expensive it still works out cheaper than inkjet printing.

And also, although the highest res is 600 x 600, apparently a greater res can be obtained with enhancement software.

I'm seriously considering this thing, bit of a blow to the budget, but it is mostly for work.

Thinking.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
You just cannot go wrong with the 8150. I did a bit of search for printers this week for my staff and got him the HP 5740.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedabck Quad.

The way I see it atm is this:

HP8150: About £130.00 inc. p & p.
Samsung Toner cartridge: £50.00

Total: £180.00

If I buy the HP Colour laserjet for about £280.00 inc. p & p, I get a new printer that should handle all my needs (I'm networked) I could probably sell the Canon for 20 or 30 quid (75% full cartridges) and I could gain a whole lot more desk space.

All that for an extra £100.00 over carrying on with my old stuff.

It's tempting.

Reaction score
Flops, the HP PHOTOSMART 8150 looks like a good buy,

i think that this is printer i was going to buy but then I managed to get a cheap laser printer in the end from a friend who was about to chuck it away.

but if I remember correctly that was the printer I was going to buy.
good luck
let us know what you decide.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Since my last post, I've looked at and studied about half a dozen colour laser printers.

I was attracted to the Konica Minolta 2400 as it's small and fitted in to my desk space well and it was on sale at Office World for just £179.00.

But when I tried to source replacement toner cartridges for it, the only one I could find anywhere was the black cartridge. The guy at Office World said they hadn't any cartridges in stock yet and didn't have a delivery date.

And also the printing cost was a little higher than it's peers.

I eventually thought I'd go for the Samsung CLP-500 which prints double sided and is quite fast and economical. But it's H-U-G-E. £229.00 at Office World, a bargain.

I figured colour laser printers will come down in price even more soon and get smaller, so decided to wait.

And then I noticed this: HP Photosmart 7960. A genuine half price bargain, I do believe.

So I've ordered one, should arrive tomorrow if past service is anything to go by.

There were 228 in stock this morning when I ordered it, there are 157 in stock now, so it's selling well.

I hope I've made the right decision. I did check out a few reviews and they were all favourable, so fingers crossed.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
That's one good looking printer you chose, really nice one, I particularly liked the LCD display. :)

I doubt you would be disappointed.

Come to think of it I have bought a good number of HP printers in the last few years for myself, friends and office staff and they all gave good service.

The worst printer that I bought was the Xerox Docuprint C6, extremely noisy, to the extent that when switched on, it used to make loud clanking noises as if something inside broke down, the worst part was that I bought two of them, one for self and one for a friend. Both printers packed up within 6 months from the date of purchase.:mad:

I dont have the printer but my friend is still around and still asks for my opinion every now and then for anything to do with electronics:D

I could not believe it was the same company which made the finest copiers in the world.:rolleyes:

Anyway, good luck with your purchase. Let us know your thoughts on the printer after you get to use it

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Anyway, good luck with your purchase. Let us know your thoughts on the printer after you get to use it

Will do.

And thanks for your comments :)

Ask a Question