Printer Port Configuration

Discussion in 'Windows XP Configuration' started by JeffB, Feb 5, 2005.

  1. JeffB

    JeffB Guest

    I need one of the MVP's to translate error messages and hopefully suggest places
    to look next...

    Situation: Home Network
    PC 1 - Win98SE
    two printers attached - HP DeskJet (LPT1), Epson PhotoPrinter (USB)

    PC 2 - WinXP (SP1)
    single printer attached - HP LaserJet (LPT1)

    The printer sharing was all OK when running the (really) old PC2.

    Trying to configure PC2 printers under WinXP. PC2 can print to its local printer
    and the remote HP DeskJet just fine. When trying to configure the Epson
    PhotoPrinter driver:
    In the Printer, Port configuration tab:
    The correct printer port shows up as a "LAN Manager Printer Port" just like the
    HP printer. I check this port and select Configure Port - the message is:
    "An error occurred during port configuration. The operation is not supported."
    or Apply - the message is:
    "Printer settings could not be saved. Operation could not be completed."

    The Epson drivers are the latest available for WinXP. The network is working
    fine, one remote printer (HP DeskJet) is configured and working properly. Any
    idea where I should look next for problems configuring the Epson printer? The
    error messages from Windows are useless...

    Thanks!
    JeffB

    JeffB, Feb 5, 2005

  2. I guess im not understanding what you are doing with the ports. On the 98SE
    system you should install your printers at networked printers and turn on
    sharing by right clicking on them and click on sharing. then goto your XP
    machine and add printer. select network printer and find the printer you
    want to add and then install the xp drivers and vavoom. All Done.

    Robert Jacobs, Feb 6, 2005

  3. JeffB

    JeffB Guest

    Robert Jacobs wrote:
    > and vavoom

    the error message is:
    "Printer settings could not be saved. Operation could not be completed."
    If I select Configure Port - the message is:
    "An error occurred during port configuration. The operation is not supported."

    The setup of shared printers was all working properly before PC2 was replaced
    with a WinXP machine. My question is what to look for now since the WinXP
    machine has some mysterious problem recognizing one of the shared printers...

    JeffB

    JeffB, Feb 6, 2005
  4. See Bruce Sanderson's article at:
    www.coribright.com

    Cari \(MS-MVP\), Feb 7, 2005
  5. JeffB

    JeffB Guest

    Cari (MS-MVP) wrote:
    > See Bruce Sanderson's article at:
    > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterAllUsers.htm

    Thanks for the reference. Unfortunately, it doesn't solve my problem - which I
    think has to do with the printer port configuration. When using the referenced
    ..cmd file, I end up with an additional entry for the Epson printer in the
    printer list indicating an "unable to connect" status.

    I'm not having a problem getting the printer added to the printer list, it just
    won't connect to the appropriate shared "LAN Manager Printer Port".

    JeffB

    JeffB, Feb 8, 2005