    Mine prints from side to side instead of from top to bottom.

    I'm trying to try to find out if it was the update or is my printer on
    the fritz

    Alice Who, Jun 14, 2012

  2. Alice Who

    ss Guest

    On 14/06/2012 16:22, David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "Alice Who" <>
    >

    >> Has anyone had a problem with there printer since the update.
    >>
    >> Mine prints from side to side instead of from top to bottom.
    >>
    >> I'm trying to try to find out if it was the update or is my printer on
    >> the fritz

    > What update ?
    > Insufficient information.
    >
    > What does "Mine prints from side to side instead of from top to bottom"
    > medan ?
    >
    > You really have to spend time and fully explain your problem which
    > should include, but not limited to, the facts such as what update(s),
    > printer make and model, OS, etc...

    Sounds like it is printing in landscape instead of portrait, just change
    the settings.
    But yes more info required.

    ss, Jun 14, 2012

  3. Alice Who

    Brian Guest

    Canon ink-jet cartridges

    I've just bought a Canon iP4950 ink-jet printer, but the price of
    replacement ink cartridges is really exorbitant.

    Has anyone any recommendations for good quality compatible ink
    cartridges (type 525 & 526)?

    Also are there any makes that I should avoid?

    Brian, Jun 15, 2012
  4. Re: Canon ink-jet cartridges

    Brian <> was inspired to say
    >I've just bought a Canon iP4950 ink-jet printer, but the price of
    >replacement ink cartridges is really exorbitant.
    >
    >Has anyone any recommendations for good quality compatible ink
    >cartridges (type 525 & 526)?

    I have used Jet-Tec inks for my A3 Canon printer (S9000) since 2003, and
    am very happy with them as a very close match to the Canon originals (I
    occasionally buy a set of Canons to check they are still compatible.)

    Recently I've been purchasing from Kenborne, whose owner is very helpful
    if there are any questions.

    http://www.kenborne.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss000007.pl?page=search&PR=-1&TB=A&SS=
    iP4950&search.x=14&search.y=11

    The above search seemed to give what you want. (If link is broken,
    rejoin it!!)

    >Also are there any makes that I should avoid?

    Can't help there.

    Mike

    --
    Michael J Davis
    <><

    Michael J Davis, Jun 15, 2012
  5. Alice Who

    Rob Guest

    Re: Canon ink-jet cartridges

    On 15/06/2012 11:03 PM, Brian wrote:
    > I've just bought a Canon iP4950 ink-jet printer, but the price of
    > replacement ink cartridges is really exorbitant.
    >
    > Has anyone any recommendations for good quality compatible ink
    > cartridges (type 525 & 526)?
    >
    > Also are there any makes that I should avoid?

    You may want to consider these

    http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=Canon+iP4950+ink+cartridges&catId=0&manual=y

    Rob, Jun 16, 2012
  6. Alice Who

    Brian Guest

    Brian, Jun 16, 2012
  7. Alice Who

    Rob Guest

    Re: Canon ink-jet cartridges

    On 16/06/2012 8:39 PM, Brian wrote:
    > On 16/06/2012 02:12, Rob wrote:
    >> You may want to consider these
    >>
    >> http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=Canon+iP4950+ink+cartridges&catId=0&manual=y
    >>

    > Thanks but I'm based in the UK - sorry I should have mentioned that!

    They are based in China but send world wide. You don't buy very well in
    the UK.

    I have bought through this site before without problems. Its like ebay
    but deal with the suppliers directly. I'm not where you thing either.

    Rob, Jun 16, 2012
  8. Re: Canon ink-jet cartridges

    "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> writes:

    > From: "Brian" <>
    >
    > > I've just bought a Canon iP4950 ink-jet printer, but the price of
    > > replacement ink cartridges is really exorbitant.

    Hi Brian,

    > > Has anyone any recommendations for good quality compatible ink
    > > cartridges (type 525 & 526)?
    > >
    > > Also are there any makes that I should avoid?

    > You seem to have posted in someone elses thread. Verified on two
    > different NSP servers.
    > Please don't hijack someone else's thread.
    >
    > Use the Canon cartridges.
    > You should have looked at Canon cartridge costs _before_ you bought
    > the printer if you think the cartridge costs are "exorbitant".

    All cartridge costs are exorbitant. That is how the manufacturers make
    their money.

    The only way to get a better deal is to break out of the system
    (business model) the maker has devised.

    I would advise refilling with bulk ink, rather than buying compatible
    cartridges. If you buy the inks in 500ml bottles (here in Japan you
    can buy anything from small 50ml or 100ml bottles right up to quarter
    gallon bottles!). The initial sets you need should include the tool
    for opening up the hole in the cartridges. After that, just refill as
    you need.

    You will also need a chip resetter (stand-alone or USB-powered are common).
    --
    Gernot Hassenpflug

    Gernot Hassenpflug, Jun 18, 2012
  9. Alice Who

    Brian Guest

    Re: Canon ink-jet cartridges

    On 18/06/2012 02:45, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
    > I would advise refilling with bulk ink, rather than buying compatible
    > cartridges. If you buy the inks in 500ml bottles (here in Japan you
    > can buy anything from small 50ml or 100ml bottles right up to quarter
    > gallon bottles!). The initial sets you need should include the tool
    > for opening up the hole in the cartridges. After that, just refill as
    > you need.
    >
    > You will also need a chip resetter (stand-alone or USB-powered are common).

    I did do that with my old Canon iP4300, but I found that refilling Canon
    cartridges was a pretty messy operation! I then bought some third-party
    refillable cartridges, with bottles of bulk ink, but these did not
    indicate ink levels properly. Well they did, but if you turned the
    printer off the ink levels automatically returned to "full" when you
    switched it on again!

    The blue section of the print-head also stopped working properly soon
    after I started using these refill cartridges, and I rather suspect that
    either the cartridges or the ink may have had something to do with it.

    One thing that annoys me about the new iP4950 printer is that the
    cartridges hold a lot less ink than those on the iP4300. Also when I
    turn the printer on and do some printing of DVDs (the main thing I use
    it for) the printer spends a long time clanking and chunking about
    getting ready. This seems to use a lot of ink for nothing - after
    printing about 40 disks since new the cartridges are already showing
    half-empty, which seems excessive.

    Brian, Jun 18, 2012
  10. Alice Who

    Rob Guest

    Re: Canon ink-jet cartridges

    On 19/06/2012 2:59 AM, David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "Gernot Hassenpflug" <>
    >
    >> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> writes:
    >>
    >>> From: "Brian" <>

    >> Hi Brian,

    >>> You seem to have posted in someone elses thread. Verified on two
    >>> different NSP servers.
    >>> Please don't hijack someone else's thread.
    >>>
    >>> Use the Canon cartridges.
    >>> You should have looked at Canon cartridge costs _before_ you bought
    >>> the printer if you think the cartridge costs are "exorbitant".

    >> All cartridge costs are exorbitant. That is how the manufacturers make
    >> their money.
    >>
    >> The only way to get a better deal is to break out of the system
    >> (business model) the maker has devised.
    >>
    >> I would advise refilling with bulk ink, rather than buying compatible
    >> cartridges. If you buy the inks in 500ml bottles (here in Japan you
    >> can buy anything from small 50ml or 100ml bottles right up to quarter
    >> gallon bottles!). The initial sets you need should include the tool
    >> for opening up the hole in the cartridges. After that, just refill as
    >> you need.
    >>
    >> You will also need a chip resetter (stand-alone or USB-powered are
    >> common).

    > The problem with this is based upon that re-fill ink. Quality,
    > whettability (hygroscopic attributes), UV, drying time, paper
    > absorbtion, bleeding, etc. Too many unknowns. For example printing on
    > premium glossy photo paper. Whose product will work best with that ink.
    > Its unknown and its a bitch to have to test various vendors to see whose
    > works best with that ink.

    And the same comes to mind when I tried using Kodak paper with genuine inks.

    Rob, Jun 19, 2012
  11. Alice Who

    Rob Guest

    Re: Canon ink-jet cartridges

    On 20/06/2012 12:19 AM, David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net>
    >

    >> Not a good example. Kodak went out of business. After film
    >> photography was aged out they did not know how to apply and use
    >> technology to sustain the company. Therefore it is no wonder why
    >> their ink and paper were to suited for each other.
    >>

    > Errrrr....
    >
    > "...were _not_ suited for each other."

    Kodak paper was not suited to any printer - i was using epson at the
    time and it was not compatible.

    This is pointing out that the reverse is also possible.

    Rob, Jun 19, 2012