printer installation issue

Reaction score
I recently built (or rather had built) a new pc, I am running Windows Vista. I have with no success tried to install 2 new printers, a Epson DX5000 and a Brother DCP-330 both of which have Vista drivers available to download. With both installations I get the same problem, at the stage of connecting the printer to my pc via my USB the installation stops, (i.e. the company installation screen does not change), the Windows new hardware screen comes up, with the usual 3 options. When I choose the search for drivers option no drivers can be found. With my limited knowledge I have come to the conclusion it is a motherboard issue. That said when I look at the connections of other printers they are connected to a 'virtual USB port for printer', when I look in my device manager there is no such port to connect to. Has anyone else had similar issues, if so how did they overcome them, I would be very grateful of any advise given.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
there are no Vista drivers ... well, non I trust ... yet

USB printers ... ugh!

OK,

You are "supposed" to follow the destructions that come with the printer, as you see it don't always work.

Me, I would just plug it in and let Windows find it. ;)

Another way ... go to start, Control Center, under Hardware & Sound press Printer ... this should bring up the Add printer window.

Press the Add Printer tab ... next window ... add a local printer ... next window ... choose a port (notice we still can use the good old fashioned LPT1 printer port here, whoopee :D ) err, but you need to use the drop down and see if you have a DOT port ... this is the USB printer port.

USB is a pain in the arse, when it don't work. :nod:

"Help & Support" is very good in Vista ... ;)

Ask a Question