print to text file freeware

Boatman

I would like to be able to print to a text file instead of a printer. You
know those websites were you can "print" a printer friendly version of an
article? Instead of printing to a printer, I would like to "print" to a text
file. Is there any software to help me do this? Thanks!

Boatman

wyrwolf

I would like to be able to print to a text file instead of a printer.
You know those websites were you can "print" a printer friendly
version of an article? Instead of printing to a printer, I would like
to "print" to a text file. Is there any software to help me do this?
Thanks!

Boatman

you shouldn't need special software. just look for a check box labeled
"print to file" when the Print dialog window opens and check it and then
specify the file name.
alternatively, use the file save page command in your browser
or select the text you want, cut it, then open notepad (or wordpad or
whatever) and paste it and close with save

tharpa

wyrwolf said:
you shouldn't need special software. just look for a check box labeled
"print to file" when the Print dialog window opens and check it and
then specify the file name.
alternatively, use the file save page command in your browser
or select the text you want, cut it, then open notepad (or wordpad or
whatever) and paste it and close with save

Wryrwolf,

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. The print to file option has
something to do with saving a file to print later. I've never come
across anyone who even knew how to use it. It seems to be a relic of
some sort.

Guess you didn't read your own sig. ;)

Tharpa

tharpa

Boatman,

You don't need a special software to do this if you use IE. Go to File,
Save As, Text File.

Tharpa

BarryTone

tharpa said:
Sorry, it doesn't work that way. The print to file option has
something to do with saving a file to print later. I've never come
across anyone who even knew how to use it. It seems to be a relic of
some sort.

Yep. Usually, it will end with a .prn and be in PCL (Printer Control
Language) or PS (PostScript) format. The file can be "dumped" to the
printer.

Boatman

The problem is that those windows that pop up with the printer friendly text
don't have any menus from which to select file| save as ... command.

What I am trying to do is make a text file easily and quickly that I can
later convert to an ebook file (.lit).

Boatman

wyrwolf

Yep. Usually, it will end with a .prn and be in PCL (Printer Control
Language) or PS (PostScript) format. The file can be "dumped" to the
printer.

yeah, I checked and I had a "printer" defined as just writing to file. Of
course, I can no longer recall how I did it! I know it was something like
defining it as "Generic / Text Only", choosing "FILE: (Creates a file on
disk)" for the port, ... and then something else.
However, you CAN open a .prn file in notepad and read it (especially if it
is only text) or change the extension.

wyrwolf

in that case, you would probably be better off with a program to CONVERT
HTML to text. do a search for that and see what you find (or check the FAQ
for the e-books NG -- http://ebook.23ae.com/
I seem to recall that I was not pleased with anything out there, as it
seems to be an unnecessarily difficult thing to do

Libor Striz

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. The print to file option has
something to do with saving a file to print later. I've never come
across anyone who even knew how to use it.

Try "copy /b PrintedToFile.PRN PRN" commandline

--
"Libor the Wanderer" <[email protected]>

Any supposed offense is because of bad english or idea formulation
and was not intended in any way.

ForPrivateResponseRemoveDelAndThisFromAboveAddress.

Manuel Otto

I would like to be able to print to a text file instead of a printer. You
know those websites were you can "print" a printer friendly version of an
article? Instead of printing to a printer, I would like to "print" to a text
file. Is there any software to help me do this? Thanks!

Boatman

Start - Settings - Add Printer - Default: Text Only

(Hope I translated it correctly from Dutch language).

Have a nice day, greetings,
Manuel

mike555

Boatman said:
I would like to be able to print to a text file instead of a printer. You
know those websites were you can "print" a printer friendly version of an
article? Instead of printing to a printer, I would like to "print" to a text
file. Is there any software to help me do this? Thanks!

Boatman

===== if you use Firefox , you can get the extension " send-to" it
will let you highlight text on a webpage and rt. click on it ,and send
to a text file ,
it's from ... http://mfe.gorgias.de/ ========

Joined
Feb 3, 2007
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Manuel Otto said:
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 02:43:11 GMT, "Boatman"
wrote:

>I would like to be able to print to a text file instead of a printer. You
>know those websites were you can "print" a printer friendly version of an
>article? Instead of printing to a printer, I would like to "print" to a text
>file. Is there any software to help me do this? Thanks!
>
>Boatman

Start - Settings - Add Printer - Default: Text Only

(Hope I translated it correctly from Dutch language).

Have a nice day, greetings,
Manuel

In Windows XP I did Start/Control Panel/Printers and Faxes/Add Printer to get to the Wizard.

Also make sure you choose FILE: (print to file) for your port in the Add Printer Wizard. For manufacturer choose "Generic" and "Generic / Text only" under Printers.

I did this to print my PayPal confirmation and it worked well. The text was nicely positioned.

There is also another trick you can do that works on non-secure pages to reload the page in the full browser so you can get to the File/Save as...
Just type "<Ctrl>n"; but this won't work on PayPal's confirmation form.

Joined
Dec 30, 2012
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I would like to be able to print to a text file instead of a printer. You
know those websites were you can "print" a printer friendly version of an
article? Instead of printing to a printer, I would like to "print" to a text
file. Is there any software to help me do this? Thanks!

Boatman

Hi well yea, following only 24 steps to get there:rolleyes:.

Just went through this. Microsoft hides This driver well. And I am assuming that you are a fellow Microsoft vic..., er, user.

I'm doing it again in Win7 as I write this, so some titles will vary.

The key is the Printer Port and realizing this thing is archaic when you install and use it.

And do read the footnotes. They explain Why you have to or should do it this way.

Create a file to print to.

Yes, It is strange and you will have to do this every time you use it.:cry: [1]
1. Open Explorer
2. Open Documents, or a root directory. In Win7 do not use the “Documents Library” Go to the C drive C:\Users\Your-Name\Documents\ <or> C:\ :wall:[2]
3. Other click to get the drop down menu.
4. Select “New”, then “ Text Document”
5. Rename it with “your-1-intended-name” like gtest.txt [3]
6. Copy the path and name. In Win7 other click on the path at the top of the Explorer window and select “Copy address as text”
7. Leave this window open.
8. If you are:............. Then:
---------------------------- --------------------------
Installing the driver .... Continue at “Install the printer driver”
Printing a file ............. Continue at Step 9.
---------------------------- --------------------------

9. If you see: ............................Then:
----------------------------------------- --------------------------
Could not open file” ..................Return to “Create a file...,”step six
......................................................and check the path and name.
.................................................You did create that empty text file?:blush:
The output file already exists” ..Continue at step 10.
------------------------------------------ --------------------------
10. You are on your way at last.:thumb: Click [OK]

Install the printer driver

1. In the Control panel or Start select “Printers and Devices
2. Select "Add Printer" or click on the “Add Printer” icon.
3. In Choose a printer port. Select "Use an existing port"
4, In the drop down menu select "FILE: (Print to File)"
5. Click [Next]
6. In the Manufacturer Column, Select "Generic"
7. In the Printers Column, Select "Generic / Text Only"
8. Click [Next]
9. Give the printer a name, decide share/not share
10. Select "Print a Test Page.

11. If you see: .............................Then:
-------------------------------------------- --------------------------
Could not open file” .................... Return to “Create a file...,”step six
........................................................and check the path and name.
...................................................You did create that empty text file?:blush:
The output file already exists” ....Continue at step 12.
-------------------------------------------- --------------------------

12. You are on your way at last:thumb:. Click [OK]

If it is the printer test file, it should look like this.

Windows Printer Test Page
Congratulations! If you can read this information, you have correctly installed your Generic / Text Only on [your computer name]. The information below describes your printer driver and port settings.
Submitted Time: 2:21:24 AM .12/.30/.2012
Computer name: [your computer name]
Printer name: Generic / Text Only
Printer model: Generic / Text Only
Color support: No
Port name(s): FILE:
Data format: RAW
Share name: Generic Text Only
Location:
Comment:
Driver name: UNIDRV.DLL Data file: ...

C:\windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\x64\3\STDSCHMX.GDL

[4] [Recognize DOS 8.3 file and folder names? Too cheap to buy Unix or IBM, they are.]

This is the end of the printer test page. -----------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] This driver is unchanged from “The Olden Days Of DOS”, eight bit processors, "If you teach some one BASIC, then you cannot teach them programming.", the GOTO statement and spaghetti code. It cannot create a file, only print over an existing file, and the print to window does not have a [Browse] or […] button.

[2] Otherwise you will have to remember or copy the entire path to the file you have created. It is easier for me to find the file and move it from the root C:\ directory to the one I want it in afterwards. The Win7 Libraries [Libraries\Documents] path will not be recognized because, this driver will use the full DOS path from root [C:\ or your logical drive for data]

[3] I still do not trust Windows and spaces in long names so I recommend inserting dashes-between-title-words.txt. If windows crashes, most recovery operations depend on good ole DOS 8.3 titles, so get something unique in that first 8 characters, if only title-1a-rest-of-title, otherwise you will be looking at a lot of “unique-1.txt, unique-2.txt file names. See [4] in the next to the last line of the printer test page if you don't believe me.

Joined
Dec 30, 2012
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Sorry the formating does not fit the column. Have to admit I'm lost in HTML. No tabs! and online editors like this one rarely provide for tables like the "if: Then:" ones above. I hate not being able to control paragraph indents either. So anyone who can give me examples of how to make this look more readable in HTML I'm open to learning. Hope this helps.