    Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!

    Sherry

    Sherry, Aug 4, 2004

  2. Sherry

    JohnNews Guest

    Sherry:

    You are dealing with a topic called "Print Server Scalability & Sizing".
    Microsoft deals with this issue extensively at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/technologies/fileandprint/print/scalability.asp.

    The number of printers that a print servers can support depends on a number
    of factors:
    To enhance print server performance, consider the following factors:

    · Number of clients

    · Clients' operating system version

    · Number, size, and frequency of print jobs

    · Type of jobs

    · Number of printers

    · Type of drivers

    · Type of printers

    After reading the article above you should be able to decide how many
    printers you want your print server to support

    Use a dedicated print server if you have the resources. With 150 print
    devices I would definitely go the DEDICATED route.
    If money is available you should also create a backup/secondary print server
    just in case your production/primary print server ever goes down.
    If you are tight on financial resources your backup print server can be a
    file server already in use for some other purpose.

    You may want to check this newsgroup for posts from JohnNews. I have dealth
    with this issue many times

    If your clients machines are win 2000 or win XP then web admin is
    cool/efficient. Add printers can be used but this is slower.
    If your clients are windows NT then only Add Printer will work
    Good luck and let us know how things work out.

    P.S. Why are you migrating from netware to windows?
    PS If you had given more details of your NEW network I could have
    provided more information ?

    Cheers,
    John.

    JohnNews, Aug 6, 2004

  3. There is no architectural limit to the number of printers on a single
    server. I've heard of servers with over 1,000 printers working just fine,
    so 150 on one server should not be a problem.

    As to mixing file and print sharing, I'm not aware of any inherent reason
    that this would cause a performance problem. For example, we have a very
    old PII - 266 with 95 MB RAM running Windows NT 4 that is doing print and
    file serving for 100 users (about 40 GB of files) and about 30 printers for
    the last 6 years or so and performance is just fine. Whether or not you
    have a performance issue would depend on how much data you are serving and
    what the demand is. Serving printers is generally a low load activity.

    I'm not sure what you mean by "WebAdmin". The HP WebJetAdmin tool I'm
    familiar with does not have a way of associating a Windows server printer
    object with a print device (or JetDirect) and installing the appropriate
    driver. One would normally use the Windows Add Printer Wizard to create the
    printer objects on the Windows Print Server, install the driver, share the
    printer, set security and install "Additional Drivers" (for clients with a
    different OS).

    Some of the pages at http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/ might be useful.

    If you are into using scripts, you might find
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/techref/en-us/default.asp
    useful.

    The Windows 2000 (or 2003) Server Resource Kit might be a worthwhile
    investment (or see
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/default.asp).

    --
    Bruce Sanderson MVP

    It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.

    Bruce Sanderson, Aug 10, 2004
  4. "Bruce Sanderson" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm not sure what you mean by "WebAdmin". The HP WebJetAdmin tool I'm

    > familiar with does not have a way of associating a Windows server printer
    > object with a print device (or JetDirect) and installing the appropriate
    > driver. One would normally use the Windows Add Printer Wizard to create
    > the
    > printer objects on the Windows Print Server, install the driver, share the
    > printer, set security and install "Additional Drivers" (for clients with a
    > different OS).
    >
    > Some of the pages at http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/ might be useful.
    >
    > --
    > Bruce Sanderson MVP
    >
    > It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.

    Bruce--

    I'm thinking he's referring to IPP. From what I sort-of-know, IPP is
    sort-of-popular in the NetWare world. Windows 2003 does support it
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/internetprint.mspx

    --
    Colin Nash
    Microsoft MVP