    Thanks.

    --
    David E. Jones

    David E. Jones, Feb 17, 2006

  2. On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 09:57:25 -0500, David E. Jones wrote in
    microsoft.public.access.macros:

    >I'd like to automate printing a report to a pre-selected Acrobat pdf
    >file name. I've set the printer for the report to use the specific
    >printer "Acrobat PDF." When previewing the report, and selecting Print,
    >a popup box will always prompt for a location and filename. I'd like to
    >specify the filename, and print to that filename, overlaying an existing
    >one if present.
    >
    >My old method of printing to an rtf file via a macro doesn't work, since
    >output to pdf isn't native to Access, unless I missed something in the
    >install.
    >
    >I'm using Access 2003 and Acrobat 7.0.

    You need:
    1) a Reference to Acrobat Distiller (ACRODIST.EXE);
    2) set the printer to "Acrobat Distiller";
    3) print your report as a Postscript file;
    4) define a PDFDistiller object;
    5) convert the PS file to PDF using the FileToPDF method of the
    PDFDistiller object;
    6) clean up (delete PS file, reset printer to default).

    There are plenty of examples on the Internet and Usenet. I posted some
    skeleton code for Excel here:
    <http://groups.google.com.au/group/microsoft.public.access/browse_frm/thread/233394b566500b71/73a70a6ee8868107>.

    Michael Bednarek, Feb 18, 2006

  3. David,

    I have not used Acrobat, but I would presume that somewhere in there it
    has a facility to set a default file name for the output. Other than
    that, what you have done is correct. If Acrobat does not support this
    functionality, there are plenty of PDF writers that do.
    http://www.pdf995.com/ is one example, just downlaod and install and
    then set the printer for the report to PDF995. For memory I think it
    only costs $9.95.

    --
    Steve Schapel, Microsoft Access MVP

    Steve Schapel, Feb 18, 2006
  4. On 2/17/06 9:57 AM, in article , "David E. Jones"
    <> wrote:

    > I'd like to automate printing a report to a pre-selected Acrobat pdf
    > file name. I've set the printer for the report to use the specific
    > printer "Acrobat PDF." When previewing the report, and selecting Print,
    > a popup box will always prompt for a location and filename. I'd like to
    > specify the filename, and print to that filename, overlaying an existing
    > one if present.
    >
    > My old method of printing to an rtf file via a macro doesn't work, since
    > output to pdf isn't native to Access, unless I missed something in the
    > install.
    >
    > I'm using Access 2003 and Acrobat 7.0.
    >
    > Thanks.

    II think we all would
    Do not get back

    Burton Rabinowitz, Feb 18, 2006
  5. Steve Schapel wrote:
    > David,
    >
    > I have not used Acrobat, but I would presume that somewhere in there it
    > has a facility to set a default file name for the output. Other than
    > that, what you have done is correct. If Acrobat does not support this
    > functionality, there are plenty of PDF writers that do.
    > http://www.pdf995.com/ is one example, just downlaod and install and
    > then set the printer for the report to PDF995. For memory I think it
    > only costs $9.95.

    Thanks, all for the suggestions. It's pretty much as I thought, and
    since the report I have in mind is run only a few times a year, I'll
    simply write the instructions for printing it from Access to Acrobat and
    to specify the path and filename. I'd like to have stayed with the rtf
    output, but the rtf formatting is very undependable.

    --
    David E. Jones

    David E. Jones, Feb 21, 2006