print a sheet of font samples for reference.

Discussion in 'Microsoft Word Document Management' started by Guest, Feb 14, 2006.

    In Word Art, fonts are not shown in samples. Would like to print a hard copy
    of what all the fonts look like for reference purposes.

    Guest, Feb 14, 2006

    Steve Yandl Guest

    This subroutine should let you do what you want.

    Sub FontPrint()

    Dim iCharNumber As Integer, iPointSize As Integer

    Dim iNumberOfFonts As Integer

    Dim vFontName As Variant

    Dim strSample As String

    On Error GoTo UserClickedCancel

    strSample = "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog"

    iPointSize = InputBox("Print Fonts at which point size?", "Steve's Font
    List")

    On Error GoTo 0

    Documents.Add

    Selection.TypeText "Fonts presented at " & iPointSize & " points."

    Selection.TypeParagraph

    Selection.TypeParagraph

    For Each vFontName In FontNames

    Selection.Font.Size = 11

    Selection.Font.Name = "Times New Roman"

    Selection.TypeText vFontName

    Selection.TypeParagraph

    Selection.Font.Size = iPointSize

    Selection.Font.Name = vFontName

    Selection.TypeText strSample

    Selection.TypeParagraph

    Selection.TypeParagraph

    Next vFontName

    Steve Yandl

    Steve Yandl, Feb 14, 2006

    Thank you Steve, but I'm not a programmer and your info totally left me in
    the dark. Thanks for trying to help me, though.

    Guest, Feb 14, 2006
  4. There are some macros available on the web. I use one but I don't remember
    where I found it.

    --

    JoAnn Paules
    MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

    JoAnn Paules [MVP], Feb 15, 2006

    Steve Yandl Guest

    I actually clipped a few lines off the bottom when I pasted.

    Just press Alt plus F8. Fill in a name that makes sense for the macro.
    Click the 'Create' button. Do a copy (all between the lines below) and
    paste to insert the lines I've got below between the Sub and End Sub lines
    that Word will create for you. Close the window. Now, you're back to your
    document as usual and you press Alt plus F8 again. Select the macro you
    just created and click the run button. You will get a box asking what size
    font list you want and when you click OK you will get a new document created
    with a sample of each font on your system.

    - - ----------------------------------------------------------------------

[...]

    UserClickedCancel:

    Steve Yandl

    Steve Yandl, Feb 15, 2006
  6. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/FontSampleGenerator.htm

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Feb 15, 2006

    Graham Mayor Guest

    There is a font sample generator supplied with Word in the Macros9.dot file
    on the installation disc or download that file from
    http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/supmacros.aspx

    The code it contains is:

    Private ptSelection, SampleText As String
    Private fname() As String
    Private PtSize(42) As String
    Private txtHeading1 As String
    Private tmn As String
    Private tFace As String
    Private fsize As String
    Private sample1 As String
    Private pts As String
    Private bigfont As String

    Sub FontSampleGenerator()
    Dim pos, tmp As Integer
    Dim X As Boolean
    Dim totfonts, i, j As Integer
    InitStrings
    totfonts = Application.FontNames.Count
    ReDim fname(totfonts - 1)
    For i = 0 To totfonts - 1
    fname(i) = FontNames(i + 1)
    If Left$(fname(i), 1) = "@" Then
    End If
    Next
    BubbleSort fname
    Documents.Add
    Selection.InsertParagraph
    Selection.InsertBefore Text:=txtHeading1
    Selection.Font.Size = bigfont
    Selection.Collapse Direction:=wdCollapseEnd
    Selection.InsertParagraph
    Selection.Collapse Direction:=wdCollapseEnd
    ptSelection = fsize
    ActiveDocument.Tables.Add Range:=Selection.Range, NumRows:=totfonts + 1,
    NumColumns:=2
    With Selection.Tables(1)
    .Rows(1).HeadingFormat = True
    .Borders.OutsideLineStyle = wdLineStyleThinThickLargeGap
    .Rows.AllowBreakAcrossPages = False
    .Columns.Width = InchesToPoints(3#)
    End With
    With ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Cell(1, 1).Range
    .InsertAfter tFace
    .ParagraphFormat.Alignment = wdAlignParagraphCenter
    .Font.Size = fsize
    End With
    With ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Cell(1, 2).Range
    .InsertAfter sample1 & ptSelection & pts
    .ParagraphFormat.Alignment = wdAlignParagraphCenter
    .Font.Size = fsize
    End With
    For j = 2 To totfonts + 1
    DoEvents
    If escflag = True Then
    Exit Sub
    End If
    With ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Cell(j, 2).Range
    .InsertAfter SampleText
    .Font.Name = fname(j - 2)
    .Font.Size = fsize
    End With
    With ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Cell(j, 1).Range
    .InsertAfter fname(j - 2)
    .Font.Size = fsize
    End With
    progress = Int(j / (totfonts + 1) * 100) & "% Finished" & vbTab &
    fname(j - 2)
    Application.StatusBar = progress
    Next
    Selection.HomeKey Unit:=wdStory
    Application.StatusBar = "Done"
    End Sub

    Function BubbleSort(TempArray As Variant)
    Dim Temp As Variant
    Dim i As Integer
    Dim NoExchanges As Boolean
    'Loop until no more "exchanges" are made
    Do
    NoExchanges = True
    'Loop through each element in the array
    For i = 0 To UBound(TempArray) - 1
    'If the element is greater than the element
    'following it, then exchange the two elements
    If TempArray(i) > TempArray(i + 1) Then
    NoExchanges = False
    Temp = TempArray(i)
    TempArray(i) = TempArray(i + 1)
    TempArray(i + 1) = Temp
    End If
    Next i
    Loop While Not (NoExchanges)
    End Function

    Function InitStrings()
    bigfont = "18"
    sample1 = "Sample at "
    pts = " points"
    fsize = "12"

    tFace = "TYPEFACE"
    tmn = "Times New Roman"

    txtHeading1 = "Sample of AVAILABLE TYPEFACES"
    SampleText =
    "AaBbCcDdEeFfGgHhIiJjKkLlMmNnOoPpQqRrSsTtUuVvWwXxYyZz0123456789" _
    & Chr(34) & Chr(147) & Chr(148) & "@#$%&?!*"
    End Function

    See http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

    --