Prevent an Application from creating a folder in My Documents

Discussion in 'Windows Vista General Discussion' started by George Valkov, Sep 24, 2008.

  1. There seem to be a lot of Smart applications these days that want to
    organise my documents in the way they want to and not the way I want to.

    In other words I have a lot of folders under My Documents, which I never
    intend to use. So I delete these folders, but the next time I start an
    application, it's folder is recreated. Currently I have modified the
    permissions on My Documents, to deny:Create Folder. This works, but from
    time to time some application will fail to reinstall and I have to temporary
    unprotect the folder.

    Another place is the SendTo folder and I really hate when Skype goes in
    there.

    And for C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe
    and some other nice applications, I have a software restriction policy that
    says "Disallowed" ;-) until I completely remove them.

    My questions is:
    Does anybody know a good and clean alternative or advice?
    ~ restrict an application from creating a specific folder
    ~ prevent anything from installing to specific locations, perhaps redirect
    the installation to a temporary folder (in order to succeed installation),
    where my cleanup script will take a good care of it.
    Thank You for any!

    George Valkov

    George Valkov, Sep 24, 2008

  2. i don't know if such a tool exists, but if you restrict a app from creating
    a folder you might make it stop running. when app's create folders they
    create them in order to function, create temp files etc. you cant just
    restrict the way an app must work. would you like someone to restrict you
    from breathing oxygen?

    Ï "George Valkov" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá

    ALEXIOS GOUTSOULAS, Sep 24, 2008

  3. I don't understand all the technicalities, but the root cause of the problem
    seems to be an inappropriate response by MS and others to a real security
    problem; .

    By default, a user can write only to their own space. This applies both to
    recent versions of Windows and to Linux.

    From the point of view of (for example) members of a family, this is
    hopelessly restrictive, as all users want access to the same documents,
    photos, etc.

    For most applications, you can do this by creating appropriate directory
    structures and setting their 'share' attributes. MS and their acolytes don't
    seem to understand that this is normally the way people want to work.
    That's the polite way of putting it. More likely, they have they have found
    they can drive loads of people crazy by always directing them to 'My
    documents' and then concealing the files.

    The really serious aspect of the problem is in fact that the directory
    names in the 'My documents' structure are not in fact the real names. I also
    get the impression that the real directory structure isn't what is seems.
    This can be disastrous for important data like your family photos, family
    tree, etc because unless you're a geek there is no way you can make a
    reliable backup that can be accessed by another current or future OS (Vista
    and XP don't seem to be compatible in this respect), or even stored safely
    on a USB disk.

    There is obviously no hope for Vista applications, and I wouldn't expect
    Windows OS and software writers to change their attitude in the futuren and
    stop thinking that Windows users are all idiots.

    So, if an application always sends you to 'My documents', you'l just have
    to keep on clicking. If it forces the use of 'My documents', you need
    another application that copies the files to a real directory structure of
    your own making, preferably on a different physical disk.

    Regards

    Daddy Tadpole, Sep 24, 2008
  4. George Valkov

    Malke Guest

    Daddy Tadpole wrote:

    > I don't understand all the technicalities, but the root cause of the
    > problem seems to be an inappropriate response by MS and others to a real
    > security problem; .

    You are correct in that you've misunderstood how Vista works.

    > By default, a user can write only to their own space. This applies both to
    > recent versions of Windows and to Linux.

    This part is correct.

    > From the point of view of (for example) members of a family, this is
    > hopelessly restrictive, as all users want access to the same documents,
    > photos, etc.

    This part is where you misunderstand. You cannot write to other users' home
    directories in Windows XP, Windows Vista, Linux, Unix, or Mac OS X. That is
    what the Public directory is for in Vista, Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X. The
    same directory is called "Shared Documents" in Windows XP.

    For users running any of those operating systems, putting documents they
    wish to share with other users of the computer in the Public (or Shared)
    directory is the answer.

    (snip next paragraph, which also misunderstands)

    Applications create folders during their installation routines. As the OP
    has already been told, the creation of those folders (and their location)
    is up to the application, not the operating system. Applications that are
    written to be compatible with particular operating systems will honor the
    operating system's file system hierarchy and not have any problems. This is
    not a Windows-centric situation.

    > The really serious aspect of the problem is in fact that the directory
    > names in the 'My documents' structure are not in fact the real names. I
    > also get the impression that the real directory structure isn't what is
    > seems.

    (more snippage of incorrect information)

    It is not that the "My Documents" etc. do not bear their "real names". It is
    that those are virtualized folders, only their for backwards compatibility
    with older third-party software that expects My Documents, etc. to exist.

    > There is obviously no hope for Vista applications, and I wouldn't expect
    > Windows OS and software writers to change their attitude in the futuren
    > and stop thinking that Windows users are all idiots.

    Since you have misunderstood the actual structure of the operating system
    and the way that *all* multi-user operating systems work, I would not give
    up hope at this time. Nor should the OP.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP
    Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

    Malke, Sep 24, 2008
  5. "Daddy Tadpole" wrote in message
    |I don't understand all the technicalities, but the root cause of the
    problem
    | seems to be an inappropriate response by MS and others to a real security
    | problem; .
    |
    | By default, a user can write only to their own space. This applies both to
    | recent versions of Windows and to Linux.
    |
    | From the point of view of (for example) members of a family, this is
    | hopelessly restrictive, as all users want access to the same documents,
    | photos, etc.

    That's not on my topic. Usually when members of a family want to share
    everything there is one single user account on that computer and everyone
    uses it.

    | For most applications, you can do this by creating appropriate directory
    | structures and setting their 'share' attributes. MS and their acolytes
    don't
    | seem to understand that this is normally the way people want to work.
    | That's the polite way of putting it. More likely, they have they have
    found
    | they can drive loads of people crazy by always directing them to 'My
    | documents' and then concealing the files.
    |
    | The really serious aspect of the problem is in fact that the directory
    | names in the 'My documents' structure are not in fact the real names. I
    also
    | get the impression that the real directory structure isn't what is seems.

    The bad thing is that there are a lot of directories or NTFS links (that
    does not hold anything which should be secured), but with attributes denying
    access to everyone. They are hidden, but many power users prefer to see the
    hidden+system files for security reasons. I also think that the Backup
    Operators group must have access to everything includding compatibility
    links like Documents and Settings.

    Some directories are arranged better in Vista, there's the Local and Roming
    AppData.

    | This can be disastrous for important data like your family photos, family
    | tree, etc because unless you're a geek there is no way you can make a
    | reliable backup that can be accessed by another current or future OS
    (Vista
    | and XP don't seem to be compatible in this respect), or even stored safely
    | on a USB disk.

    With linux you can :). Use the linux 'cp' or 'cat' commands to backup the
    entire partition. It is simple, reliable and can be done from a live CD. You
    can even mount the backup image and edit it ;-) (from linux)
    I do something like
    cat /dev/hda1 |7z ...
    and the compressed image fits on a DVD+RW disk.

    | There is obviously no hope for Vista applications, and I wouldn't expect
    | Windows OS and software writers to change their attitude in the futuren
    and
    | stop thinking that Windows users are all idiots.

    :-(

    | So, if an application always sends you to 'My documents', you'l just have
    | to keep on clicking. If it forces the use of 'My documents', you need
    | another application that copies the files to a real directory structure of
    | your own making, preferably on a different physical disk.

    I believe you missunderstood me here. The default Save As location is not a
    problem although the Desktop, being the work space is the best place. The
    problem is that applications create directories like 'My Skype Pictures',
    'Adobe' and so on... and one has enough programs, it becomes so crowded that
    one hardly finds his own documents between the rest of the garbage. Worst is
    these application take care to restore their useless folders upon every
    startup, in case you have deleted them.

    George Valkov

    George Valkov, Sep 25, 2008
  6. George Valkov