    That seems like a lot, but I have no clue about actual requirements.
    The computer will also have 1GB memory and 80 and 120 GB hard disk
    drives. Any other ideas? Thanks.

    Wayne Fulton, Dec 3, 2004

  2. "Wayne Fulton" <> wrote in message
    news:41b0f352$0$27770$...
    > Is any special powersupply size needed for todays chips like the AMD64
    > 3500+ ? The AMD site doesnt seem to have psu recommendations anymore.
    > Most cabinets seem to have 300 or 350 watt powersupplies, so I assume
    > that still works. Specifically, I'm considering a new Antec True380 psu
    > (380 watts), with ratings of
    > +5V 35 amps max
    > +12V 24 amps max
    > 3.3V 28 amps max
    >
    > That seems like a lot, but I have no clue about actual requirements.
    > The computer will also have 1GB memory and 80 and 120 GB hard disk
    > drives. Any other ideas? Thanks.

    That should be fine. Most of the power is used from the 12V line (12*24 =
    288W, thus 75% of the PSU here). So, the amps on the +12V is important, so
    long as teh +5 and +3.3 are decent enough. My PSU (using an Athlon XP
    3000+, 2x120GB, Geforce3 Ti 200 [not much of a draw there :) ], 3xoptical
    drives) is 450W, but only 15A on +12v. Instead they gave it something silly
    like 45A on +5v.

    Anonymous Joe, Dec 4, 2004

  3. Wayne Fulton

    Tony Hill Guest

    On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 17:14:23 -0600, Wayne Fulton <>
    wrote:

    >Is any special powersupply size needed for todays chips like the AMD64
    >3500+ ?

    A decent quality one is what is required.

    > The AMD site doesnt seem to have psu recommendations anymore.
    >Most cabinets seem to have 300 or 350 watt powersupplies, so I assume
    >that still works.

    A good quality 250W supply will do the trick, a poor quality 500W
    supply will not.

    Quality, not quantity.

    > Specifically, I'm considering a new Antec True380 psu
    >(380 watts), with ratings of

    Antec makes VERY good quality power supplies. The True380 will
    definitely be a good choice.

    -------------
    Tony Hill

    Tony Hill, Dec 4, 2004
  4. Wayne Fulton

    Wayne Fulton Guest

    Thanks much, Joe and Tony. That was what I suspected, and now I wont
    worry any more about it.

    Wayne Fulton, Dec 4, 2004
  5. Wayne Fulton

    Bass Guest

    On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 11:53:23 -0600, Wayne Fulton <>
    wrote:

    >Thanks much, Joe and Tony. That was what I suspected, and now I wont
    >worry any more about it.

    It also depends on what video card you have. The latest and best vid
    cards are very power hungry. If you have that cpu with let's say a
    Nvidia 6800GT vid card then you should be looking at an Antec True
    Power 480w or something similar.

    Bass, Dec 4, 2004
  6. On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 17:14:23 -0600, Wayne Fulton <>
    wrote:

    >Is any special powersupply size needed for todays chips like the AMD64
    >3500+ ? The AMD site doesnt seem to have psu recommendations anymore.
    >Most cabinets seem to have 300 or 350 watt powersupplies, so I assume
    >that still works. Specifically, I'm considering a new Antec True380 psu
    >(380 watts), with ratings of
    >+5V 35 amps max
    >+12V 24 amps max
    >3.3V 28 amps max
    >
    >That seems like a lot, but I have no clue about actual requirements.
    >The computer will also have 1GB memory and 80 and 120 GB hard disk
    >drives. Any other ideas? Thanks.

    I've just done a new system on MSI K8N Neo2 Plat. with Athlon64
    3500+(90nm), 1GB(2xCrucial 512MB), GeCube 9600XT/256MB, 80GB Seagate SATA
    HDD, DVD and DVD-R/-RW+R/+RW using the Antec Sonata with the 380W PS and I
    came to the conclusion before purchase that it would be fine... so far so
    good. The key here, as far as I was able to find out, was that Antec
    increased the current on the +12V from 18A to 24A on later models...
    especially for some of the 130nm Athlon64s.

    If you go for one of the new big-power sucking video cards, you might want
    to think about something with a bit more oomph but even there I'm not so
    sure. BTW I do not recommend the GeCube 9600XT(256); I went with it when
    the Sapphire model went out of stock between selection and final order
    completion at NewEgg. Looks like the hot new mid-range video card in AGP
    8x is going to be the Nvidia 6600GT but that was announced just on Nov 16.

    Rgds, George Macdonald

    George Macdonald, Dec 4, 2004
  7. Wayne Fulton

    Wayne Fulton Guest

    In article <>,
    fammacd=!SPAM^ says...

    >I've just done a new system on MSI K8N Neo2 Plat. with Athlon64
    >3500+(90nm), 1GB(2xCrucial 512MB), GeCube 9600XT/256MB, 80GB Seagate SATA
    >HDD, DVD and DVD-R/-RW+R/+RW using the Antec Sonata with the 380W PS and I
    >came to the conclusion before purchase that it would be fine... so far so
    >good. The key here, as far as I was able to find out, was that Antec
    >increased the current on the +12V from 18A to 24A on later models...
    >especially for some of the 130nm Athlon64s.

    Yes, thanks, it is sounding very fine. I think my video card will be on the
    smallish side, my use is 2D instead of 3D.

    I am planning on the Antec Sonata case too, largely for the psu. Antec's
    website says the Sonata has a special True380S powersupply, the S appears to
    be identical in all respects except that it has one fan instead of two. For
    noise I assume, and this seems fine, no problem to me. I like that the True380
    series can temp control the case fan(s) too. How is that feature working out
    for you?

    Wayne Fulton, Dec 5, 2004
  8. On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 20:05:12 -0600, Wayne Fulton <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >fammacd=!SPAM^ says...
    >>
    >>I've just done a new system on MSI K8N Neo2 Plat. with Athlon64
    >>3500+(90nm), 1GB(2xCrucial 512MB), GeCube 9600XT/256MB, 80GB Seagate SATA
    >>HDD, DVD and DVD-R/-RW+R/+RW using the Antec Sonata with the 380W PS and I
    >>came to the conclusion before purchase that it would be fine... so far so
    >>good. The key here, as far as I was able to find out, was that Antec
    >>increased the current on the +12V from 18A to 24A on later models...
    >>especially for some of the 130nm Athlon64s.

    >Yes, thanks, it is sounding very fine. I think my video card will be on the
    >smallish side, my use is 2D instead of 3D.
    >
    >I am planning on the Antec Sonata case too, largely for the psu. Antec's
    >website says the Sonata has a special True380S powersupply, the S appears to
    >be identical in all respects except that it has one fan instead of two. For
    >noise I assume, and this seems fine, no problem to me. I like that the True380
    >series can temp control the case fan(s) too. How is that feature working out
    >for you?

    Yes that 120mm fan with thermal speed control is worth a few dBs. What's
    odd about the "special" True380s is that it does not follow AMD's
    recommendations on case air flow - it has intake vent slots only on the
    front of the PS casing, whereas AMD recommends the conventional ATX
    configuration with an intake on the bottom, close to the CPU... apparently
    losing the 2nd fan means losing the hole it sits in too. I don't think it
    does any harm since it seems to me that the 120mm rear case exhaust fan is
    doing most of the work of air flow for the CPU, mbrd etc.

    Rgds, George Macdonald

    George Macdonald, Dec 5, 2004
  9. On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 12:25:05 -0800, Bass <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 11:53:23 -0600, Wayne Fulton <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks much, Joe and Tony. That was what I suspected, and now I wont
    >>worry any more about it.

    >It also depends on what video card you have. The latest and best vid
    >cards are very power hungry. If you have that cpu with let's say a
    >Nvidia 6800GT vid card then you should be looking at an Antec True
    >Power 480w or something similar.

    I'll think it's fairly safe to say that 480W recommendation that had
    been floated around since the 6800/X800 launch is coming out of the
    bull's rear end. From past experimentations on my own as well as
    friend's, a fully deck out uniproc system with a top end graphics card
    and lotsa of drives barely make it into the 250W ball park.

    The little lost angel, Dec 6, 2004
  10. Wayne Fulton

    Bass Guest

    On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 03:50:42 GMT,
    a?n?g?e? (The little lost angel) wrote:

    >I'll think it's fairly safe to say that 480W recommendation that had
    >been floated around since the 6800/X800 launch is coming out of the
    >bull's rear end. From past experimentations on my own as well as
    >friend's, a fully deck out uniproc system with a top end graphics card
    >and lotsa of drives barely make it into the 250W ball park.

    Then I guess Nvidia are full of shit? 250w? The internet is rife with
    stories of people blowing 250w and 300w PSU's on even an R9800pro.
    I'm sure some high quality 250w PSU's will pass muster but it's better
    to play it safe than stoopid wittle angel.

    Bass, Dec 6, 2004
  11. Wayne Fulton

    Tony Hill Guest

    On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 00:02:39 -0800, Bass <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 03:50:42 GMT,
    >a?n?g?e? (The little lost angel) wrote:
    >

    >>I'll think it's fairly safe to say that 480W recommendation that had
    >>been floated around since the 6800/X800 launch is coming out of the
    >>bull's rear end. From past experimentations on my own as well as
    >>friend's, a fully deck out uniproc system with a top end graphics card
    >>and lotsa of drives barely make it into the 250W ball park.

    >Then I guess Nvidia are full of shit? 250w? The internet is rife with
    >stories of people blowing 250w and 300w PSU's on even an R9800pro.
    >I'm sure some high quality 250w PSU's will pass muster but it's better
    >to play it safe than stoopid wittle angel.

    As I said before, quality, not quantity.

    Sure, people will blow plenty of 250W power supplies because most 250W
    power supplies being sold today are bottom-of-the-barrel trash using
    crap components and rather generous power measurement practices. They
    might claim to be 250W supplies but they simply can't withstand more
    than 200W of power being pulled through them.

    L'Angel is quite right, even a fully loaded system rarely pulls much
    more than 200W.

    -------------
    Tony Hill

    Tony Hill, Dec 6, 2004
  12. On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 00:02:39 -0800, Bass <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 03:50:42 GMT,
    >a?n?g?e? (The little lost angel) wrote:
    >

    >>I'll think it's fairly safe to say that 480W recommendation that had
    >>been floated around since the 6800/X800 launch is coming out of the
    >>bull's rear end. From past experimentations on my own as well as
    >>friend's, a fully deck out uniproc system with a top end graphics card
    >>and lotsa of drives barely make it into the 250W ball park.

    >Then I guess Nvidia are full of shit? 250w? The internet is rife with
    >stories of people blowing 250w and 300w PSU's on even an R9800pro.
    >I'm sure some high quality 250w PSU's will pass muster but it's better
    >to play it safe than stoopid wittle angel.

    nVidia admitted that they were playing it really safe with their 480W
    recommendation. To quote:

    "Ujesh Desai, General Manager of Desktop GPUs for Nvidia... Marginal
    power supplies and poorly ventilated cases must be taken into
    account... people that do not want to overclock, the 480W power
    supply and second power connector combination is overkill... A good
    quality 350W power supply with a sufficient 12V rail pull can support
    the 6800 Ultra standard clocks of 400/550."

    Finally, I didn't say a 250W PSU should be used. What I said is the
    system barely make it into the 250W ballpark which is the basis for my
    opinion that 480W is way ridiculous.

    Only somebody without much common sense will buy a 250W PSU to power a
    250W system without leaving any margins for error :ppPppP

    The little lost angel, Dec 6, 2004
  13. Wayne Fulton

    chrisv Guest

    Tony Hill <> wrote:

    >> Specifically, I'm considering a new Antec True380 psu
    >>(380 watts), with ratings of

    >Antec makes VERY good quality power supplies. The True380 will
    >definitely be a good choice.

    Buy an Antec Sonota case, and you get the Tru380 for "free". 8)

    chrisv, Dec 6, 2004
  14. Wayne Fulton

    Rob Stow Guest

    Wayne Fulton wrote:
    > Is any special powersupply size needed for todays chips like the AMD64
    > 3500+ ? The AMD site doesnt seem to have psu recommendations anymore.
    > Most cabinets seem to have 300 or 350 watt powersupplies, so I assume
    > that still works. Specifically, I'm considering a new Antec True380 psu
    > (380 watts), with ratings of
    > +5V 35 amps max
    > +12V 24 amps max
    > 3.3V 28 amps max
    >
    > That seems like a lot, but I have no clue about actual requirements.
    > The computer will also have 1GB memory and 80 and 120 GB hard disk
    > drives. Any other ideas? Thanks.

    I have built a few Athlon64 systems configured typically with:
    Athlon 64 3200+ to 3500+
    1 GB PC 3200 (2 x 512 MB)
    12X DVD burner
    2 x 120 GB SATA hard drive
    Radeon 9600 or Radeon 9800
    that have done just fine with a 310 to 360 W PSU from
    PCPowerCooling, Antec, or Enermax.

    However, even a "quality" 350 W like the Antec SL350 leaves
    little margin for expansion in a system like that. For example,
    I later expanded the RAM in one of the systems from 1 GB to 6 GB
    (2 x 2 GB, 2 x 1 GB) and had to upgrade the Antec SL350 to cope
    with the additional power ( 40 to 50 W ? ) that the RAM upgrade
    needed.

    My current preferences are the Silencer 310 ATX and 360 ATX from
    PCPowerCooling but I want to try the Antec Phantom 350 soon.

    Rob Stow, Dec 6, 2004
  15. Wayne Fulton

    chrisv Guest

    Rob Stow <> wrote:

    >My current preferences are the Silencer 310 ATX and 360 ATX from
    >PCPowerCooling

    $$$$$$$$$$$$$

    They've went off the deep-end in their pricing...

    chrisv, Dec 6, 2004
  16. In article <>,
    lid says...
    > Rob Stow <> wrote:
    >
    > >My current preferences are the Silencer 310 ATX and 360 ATX from
    > >PCPowerCooling

    > $$$$$$$$$$$$$
    >
    > They've went off the deep-end in their pricing...

    You think $50 (310ATX) or $65(360ATX) is a lot for a power supply? I
    paid about $90 for a PCP&C 250W (IIRC) power supply five or so years
    ago when I built my K6-III system.

    Also note that these are Power Factor corrected supplies.

    http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/prices/index.htm

    --
    Keith

    Keith R. Williams, Dec 6, 2004
  17. Wayne Fulton

    Bass Guest

    On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 06:53:11 -0500, Tony Hill
    <> wrote:

    >As I said before, quality, not quantity.
    >
    >Sure, people will blow plenty of 250W power supplies because most 250W
    >power supplies being sold today are bottom-of-the-barrel trash using
    >crap components and rather generous power measurement practices. They
    >might claim to be 250W supplies but they simply can't withstand more
    >than 200W of power being pulled through them.
    >
    >L'Angel is quite right, even a fully loaded system rarely pulls much
    >more than 200W.

    Why don't you go read both Nvidia's and ATI's PSU recommendations and
    you will see that you are both quite wrong in your estimations. I say
    play it safe so that you don't risk a blown PSU and/or damaged
    hardware. I use quality (Antec and Zalman) 400w PSU's in both my PC's.
    I suggest you go read some other hardware groups besides this one to
    get the real deal. Niether of you are taking PEAK power pulls into the
    equation. Fatal error there. Do either of you even run heavy duty 3D
    games?

    Bass, Dec 6, 2004
  18. Wayne Fulton

    Bass Guest

    On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 12:48:13 GMT,
    a?n?g?e? (The little lost angel) wrote:

    >Only somebody without much common sense will buy a 250W PSU to power a
    >250W system without leaving any margins for error :ppPppP

    Saying, "From past experimentations on my own as well as
    friend's, a fully deck out uniproc system with a top end graphics card
    and lotsa of drives barely make it into the 250W ball park." may well
    lead some people to think that is all they need. Running a 3D game
    puts a lot more demand on the PSU than running Internet Explorer.

    Bass, Dec 6, 2004
  19. Wayne Fulton

    Bass Guest

    On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 12:48:13 GMT,
    a?n?g?e? (The little lost angel) wrote:

    >nVidia admitted that they were playing it really safe with their 480W
    >recommendation. To quote:

    BTW, you consider Enermax a quality PSU? I ask because the reason I
    went to a 400w Antec was because a 360w Enermax I had wasn't even good
    enough to run a Geforce4.

    Bass, Dec 6, 2004
  20. Wayne Fulton

    keith Guest

    On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 00:02:39 -0800, Bass wrote:

    > On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 03:50:42 GMT,
    > a?n?g?e? (The little lost angel) wrote:
    >

    >>I'll think it's fairly safe to say that 480W recommendation that had
    >>been floated around since the 6800/X800 launch is coming out of the
    >>bull's rear end. From past experimentations on my own as well as
    >>friend's, a fully deck out uniproc system with a top end graphics card
    >>and lotsa of drives barely make it into the 250W ball park.

    > Then I guess Nvidia are full of shit? 250w? The internet is rife with
    > stories of people blowing 250w and 300w PSU's on even an R9800pro.
    > I'm sure some high quality 250w PSU's will pass muster but it's better
    > to play it safe than stoopid wittle angel.

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    What a wonderful way to introduce yourself to the regulars in the group!

    Hint for the newbies: L'Angel has been a regular in .chips for *many*
    years. She's certainly an angel (can *run* across the country in a day;)
    and "wittle" is condescending to tha max! Stoopid? I don't think so. My
    bet is that she's done more research into power supples than have you. It
    was sorta her thing for some time. ;-)

    You're showing your MCP stripes and they're smelly as a barnyard!

    --
    Keith

    keith, Dec 7, 2004