! PowerPoint Viewer cannot find the file "playlist.txt".

Jim Varner

Greetings:

After burning a CD with a PPT2007 .ppt file, I am having an issue while
testing it. I see a flash on my screen indicating that PowerPoint Viewer
has started, but then nothing happens.

When I click the shortcut for my cd drive to look at the content, I get a
message: ! PowerPoint Viewer cannot find the file "playlist.txt".

I suspect that this is why it won't run (or at least the first issue
encountered).

Can anyone help?

Thank you,
pinger

Michael Koerner

When you created your presentation did you use the Package for CD option?
When using that option you should always use the copy to Folder Option, then
burn the contents of the folder to the root directory of your CD. This
method seems to give the best results for this task.

--
Michael Koerner
MS MVP - PowerPoint

Greetings:

After burning a CD with a PPT2007 .ppt file, I am having an issue while
testing it. I see a flash on my screen indicating that PowerPoint Viewer
has started, but then nothing happens.

When I click the shortcut for my cd drive to look at the content, I get a
message: ! PowerPoint Viewer cannot find the file "playlist.txt".

I suspect that this is why it won't run (or at least the first issue
encountered).

Can anyone help?

Thank you,
pinger

Jim Varner

Yes, I did use the Package for CD option....but did not copy to Folder
Option at first. Based on your input here, though, I tried that. I no
longer get the "missing file" warning, but now when I insert the CD, rather
than the PPT presentation simply starting on auto-play, when I insert the
CD, I get a window that shows me "files currently on CD". I must still have
some setting incorrect. I did PUBLISH, PACKAGE FOR CD, ...package type
Viewer Package PLAY ALL PRESENTATIONS AUTOMATICALLY IN THE SPECIFIED ORDER
including LINKED FILES and EMBEDDED TRUE TYPE FONTS then COPY TO FOLDER.
Then I burned it to CD with the XP utility. Does Microsoft have a program
called PowerPoint for Dummies? What I don't understand about your reply is
"burning to the ROOT directory." I simply burned it to a blank cd-r
media....I did not pre-create any directory(ies).

pinger

Michael Koerner

What I meant by that was not to copy the folder to you CD just the contents

--
Michael Koerner
MS MVP - PowerPoint

[...]

John,Michael:

I did burn the files, not the folder.

These are in the folder:

AUTORUN.INF
INTLDATE.DLL
microsoft.vc80.crt.manifest
msvcm80.dll
msvcp80.dll
MSVCR80.dll
OGL.DLL
play.bat
playlist.txt
PPTVIEW.EXE
pptview.exe.manifest
PPVWINTL.DLL
PVREADME.HTM
SAEXT.DLL
+ my .pps file

Can you see any obvious omissions??

pinger

Michael Koerner

Files look good. I have an intldate.dll file that your not showing. Which I
don't think has anything to do with the operation of the viewer.

This is what should be in your play.bat file

@pptview.exe /L "playlist.txt"

What happens when you double click your play.bat file in your folder.

--
Michael Koerner
MS MVP - PowerPoint

John,Michael:

I did burn the files, not the folder.

These are in the folder:

AUTORUN.INF
INTLDATE.DLL
microsoft.vc80.crt.manifest
msvcm80.dll
msvcp80.dll
MSVCR80.dll
OGL.DLL
play.bat
playlist.txt
PPTVIEW.EXE
pptview.exe.manifest
PPVWINTL.DLL
PVREADME.HTM
SAEXT.DLL
+ my .pps file

Can you see any obvious omissions??

pinger

Jim Varner

Hi Michael:

On my list of files I sent, the second one is intldate.dll. The batch file
contains the string exactly as you have typed below.

When I click on the play.bat, the ppviewer screen flashes on for, perhaps a
second ,suggesting that PPViewer has started. Then goes off and nothing
happens after that.

Thanks,
pinger

Michael Koerner

What happens when you double click on the pptview.exe file in your folder?
Does the viewer start, and list the files in your folder?

--
Michael Koerner
MS MVP - PowerPoint

Hi Michael:

On my list of files I sent, the second one is intldate.dll. The batch file
contains the string exactly as you have typed below.

When I click on the play.bat, the ppviewer screen flashes on for, perhaps a
second ,suggesting that PPViewer has started. Then goes off and nothing
happens after that.

Thanks,
pinger

Jim Varner

When I double click on pptview.exe, viewer opens and it shows ONLY my .pps
file.
[ I have my presentation both in a .pps and a .ppt file. I'm quite sure
that when I published, I published with the .ppt file open....but note that
the list of files now shows a .pps file]

pinger

Michael Koerner

There is no difference between .pps and .ppt other than the way they open in
the full PowerPoint program The viewer can only show them in the slideshow
mode regardless. Try this and see what happens. Rename the .pps file. In
your Playlist.txt file make sure that it reads your.ppt filename. then
double click on your .bat file and see what happens.

--
Michael Koerner
MS MVP - PowerPoint

When I double click on pptview.exe, viewer opens and it shows ONLY my .pps
file.
[ I have my presentation both in a .pps and a .ppt file. I'm quite sure
that when I published, I published with the .ppt file open....but note that
the list of files now shows a .pps file]

pinger

Jim Varner

Michael: Thank you for sticking this out with me.

As you suggested below, I renamed the file on my computer in the folder
created for burning and edited playlist.txt to match the new name. When
double clicking on the .bat file the same thing occurs as before....the
viewer appears to be opening, I see a partial screen empty DOS page for a
moment...but nothing happens after that.

The only anomaly that occurred when I was publishing to the file is the
program said it could not locate a specific .mp3 file that had been
associated with the show earlier [but had since been replaced by a .wav
file] and asked me if I wanted to find it or forget it.

Other than that, nothing was out of the ordinary.

The type of CD media wouldn't be a factor, would it?
How about the size of the show file? It's got many .wav files and it's a
biggie.

pinger

Michael Koerner said:
What happens when you double click on the pptview.exe file in your
folder?
Does the viewer start, and list the files in your folder?

--
Michael Koerner
MS MVP - PowerPoint

Hi Michael:

On my list of files I sent, the second one is intldate.dll. The batch
file
contains the string exactly as you have typed below.

When I click on the play.bat, the ppviewer screen flashes on for, perhaps
second ,suggesting that PPViewer has started. Then goes off and nothing
happens after that.

Thanks,
pinger

Michael Koerner

I just don't understand You replied to my request that if you double click
on the viewer in the created folder it starts. Yet if you click on the bat
file that calls that same viewer it does not start. Have you tried starting
the viewer and then opening your presentation from the viewer?

You mention CD media. Are you also trying to play selections from a CD? If
that is the case then it probably won't work as you have to have the CD in
the drive when you play your presentation. The size of the presentation
should not matter. BTW, how big is it?

If your not using CD music, I suggest you put all your sound files into the
same folder as your presentation, reinsert them, and then publish your
presentation to CD using the copy to folder option and then try playing it
again

--
Michael Koerner
MS MVP - PowerPoint

Michael Koerner said:
What happens when you double click on the pptview.exe file in your
folder?
Does the viewer start, and list the files in your folder?

--
Michael Koerner
MS MVP - PowerPoint

Hi Michael:

On my list of files I sent, the second one is intldate.dll. The batch
file
contains the string exactly as you have typed below.

When I click on the play.bat, the ppviewer screen flashes on for, perhaps
second ,suggesting that PPViewer has started. Then goes off and nothing
happens after that.

Thanks,
pinger

Jim Varner

Michael:

I'm sorry if I was not clear.

When I double click on the on pptview.exe in the created folder, the VIEWER
starts, but the PowerPoint SHOW does not run.

When I double click on play.bat in the created folder, the VIEWER starts, a
black DOS screen momentarily appears, but the PowerPoint SHOW does not run.

When I double click on pptview.exe, right click on my .pps file, then left
click on "show", the PowerPoint show DOES RUN perfectly [recalling....the
original problem is that when the burned disc is inserted, the show does not
start automatically as expected and desired].

When I mentioned CD media, I was referring to the blank media I used for the
burn. So, no, I am not trying to play music selections off of a CD. All of
the associated sound files are resident in the same directory/folder that
the original .ppt file was created in, as they were at the time of
insertion.

Now as for size of the .pps file; (are you sitting?) it is 438MB. The
reason it is so large is that all the sound files are .wavs. The show file
had .mp3 files at first, but for some reason some would not play, so I
removed them all and inserted .wav files instead....which run perfectly.

I apologize that this thing has, by your grace, taken so much of your time
and I do appreciate you efforts in getting me back onto the highway. The
input and support by all the MVP's is invaluable.

pinger

Michael Koerner said:
[...]

"John Wilson" <john AT technologytrish.co DOT uk> wrote in message
Try burning the CONTENTS of the folder to CD, NOT the folder itself.
--
john ATSIGN PPTAlchemy.co.uk

Free PPT Hints, Tips and Tutorials
PPTLive Atlanta Oct 11-14 2009

:

[...]

So, the bottom line is:

When in the created folder, you start the viewer and then click on the
presentation everything works as it should.

When in the created folder and you double click on the bat file it try's to
run but does not.

Double clicking on the pptviewer.exe will start the viewer and offer you a
screen with available files from within the same folder that you can choose.
The file size does not seem to be overly large. should not be a problem.

What I would do, is start from scratch as it seems that the program is
trying to find something that is not there. I would, and you say that all
the sound files are in the same folder as the presentation reinsert the
sound files WAV or MP3 should not make a difference other than the MP3 files
will be linked. Once inserted I would publish to CD using the Copy to folder
Option and then try it before you burn the CD. Have a look her on how to do
that
Test an AutoRun CD
http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00209.htm

--
Michael Koerner
MS MVP - PowerPoint

Michael Koerner said:
[...]

Based on your latest input, I’ve done the following: Just for the heck of
it, I created a whole new test show…..randomly selected 15-20 photos for
slides….randomly selected 3-4 sound files and saved the show. I then
published it into a folder just as I’ve been doing with the show we’re
troubleshooting. All the settings during the publishing process were set
the same. I didn’t actually burn the show, but when I double clicked on the
..bat file, the show ran perfectly as designed! This tells me that the
"software" is working fine.

I looked in DOS and copied and compared the .bat file of both the test show
and the big show and everything (all 15 files) was identical in name and
size except, of course, the name and size of the shows themselves. So the
only difference was “the shows.”

Per your suggestion, I went into the big show, deleted all sound files and
saved. Then I re-inserted all the sound files into their original locations
and saved. I went through the publishing process, clicked on the .bat file
and the show did not run! (in other words, no change)

On a whim (the show was originally produced in PP2003 then updated in
PP2007, I saved the show in the .ppt 2003 format. There was a warning that
certain slides would not be able to be modified in the older version. I
then published the 2003 version into a folder then tried, without success,
to run the show by double clicking the .bat file. I might add that in that
folder I was able to run the show perfectly through the PowerPoint viewer…as
has been the case right along with the bigger show.

The point is….and nothing has really changed…is that everything appears to
be right, but this show just will not run by itself with autorun.inf. For
this show to deliver the desired results, it needs to do just that. I godda
tell ya, I’m getting discouraged (and I’m sure you’re getting tired of
dealing with this issue, as well). The bag of tricks is almost, if not
already, empty. The frustrating this is that THERE IS A REASON that it won’t
run. I guess it’s like a MD trying to diagnose a strange disease.

pinger

Michael Koerner said:
[...]

Would you please proffer your thoughts on the below series of events?
Based on everything done thus far I tried a couple of things: I was
wondering if, by chance, there was a problem with a single slide within the
presentation that may be causing a problem. I made a "work copy" of my
presentation then removed the second half of the 209 slides, published the
shorter version and clicked on the .bat file, the show RAN. By process of
elimination, I kept slicing and dicing it up in different ways, publishing a
new bundle each time and seeing if it would run, trying to find a "rogue
slide."

Slides 1-129 worked fine when published; slides 131-209 worked fine when
published. My reaction was, "ah ha." But.........when I "hid" slide 130 and
published, it did NOT run. So I deleted, then recreated a new slide 130,
published and it still did not run. I removed the sound file on that
slide....it did not run.

Do you have any thoughts on this?

pinger

Michael Koerner said:
[...]

It sounds like you got a version to work Did you use 2003 or 2007? You do
not have to go through the publish routine every time. Once you have a
version which works, then all you need to do is copy a new working
presentation in PowerPoint and it's associated linked sound files (which is
why you put everything into the same folder before you start) into the old
created folder and change the names in the playlist.txt file. Either use
2003 for the whole project, or 2007. but don't mix and match.

--

Michael Koerner said:
[...]

I would create the initial presentation in 2007, then publish it in 2007 and
see if that works. From your earlier post you indicated that it was done in
2003 and 2007 and published using 2003 which I don't believe will work.

--

Michael Koerner said:
[...]

Actually, the show was originally made in PP2003. It was enhanced in
PP2007. It was published in PP2007. I no longer have PP2003 on my computer
(I had tried saving the one time, on one attempt to solve this, in the
PP2003 format [.ppt] to see if that made any difference, but with no joy).
The show runs perfectly on my computer. It runs perfectly off of a burned
CD using PPViewer2007. It just won't Autorun. As noted in my post of
yesterday, after slicing and dicing portions of the show....I can get the
first half to Autorun, and the second have to autorun. The whole show will
not autorun. I did a small "test show" and it autoruns perfectly.
Theoretically, I could make a complete new show as you suggest....all in
PP2007....but I logged literally several hundred hours building it (it has
very complex graphics) and I'm not sure if I have that in me again :>). The
common denominator, it seems, is autorun.inf, but I can't see that there
would be an issue with that file as it does work on the test show and the
"portions" of my big show.

Thank you for all your input. I really appreciate it.

pinger