    to this problem. However the problem typically occur much later when no other
    apps are open, and I'm unsure how recently I ran the "other" app.

    Any ideas on how to trouble-shoot this?

    Guest, Nov 29, 2005

    It could be many things...Powerpoint might not approve of something running
    in the background that you are not even aware of.

    The best thing to do when Powerpoint disappears is to reopen it and try from
    memory to reconstruct exactly what you were doing to see if you can
    force-crash it, which will help lead you to the exact activity at the time of
    crash. One thing it could be is a "bad" font...try re-installing whichever
    fonts you use frequently.

    Guest, Nov 29, 2005

    Thanks for the ideas, Anne. I'll try re-crashing it as you suggest to be more
    specific about the particular circumstances. The weird thing is that it seems
    to crash while I'm entering plain Arial text in a text box - between
    keystrokes! Given that, fonts seem like an unlikely cause.

    -Ian

    Guest, Nov 29, 2005
  4. In article <>, IanW wrote:
    > On several occasions I have had PowerPoint close without a trace while I was
    > typing text into a text box in PowerPoint 2002 (10.6501.6735) SP3. There is
    > no error message, no opportunity to send an error report -- the app just
    > vanishes.

    Keeps the day from getting too boring, doesn't it? ;^)

    What about printer drivers? Do you have a printer driver installed locally (ie,
    on YOUR PC, not on a network) and set as default?

    Does the problem seem to occur when using a particular font or fonts?

    Have you tried setting hardware acceleration back?

    How to set graphics hardware acceleration back
    http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00129.htm

    Are there any addins that create toolbars when you start up?

    > When the error is occurring frequently, I re-boot Windows and it is fine
    > immediately after that.
    >
    > One possibility is that another app I sometimes use (that puts bitmap images
    > into PPt via ActiveX) puts Powerpoint into a state that makes it vulnerable
    > to this problem. However the problem typically occur much later when no other
    > apps are open, and I'm unsure how recently I ran the "other" app.
    >
    > Any ideas on how to trouble-shoot this?

    Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
    PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
    PPTools: www.pptools.com

    Steve Rindsberg, Nov 29, 2005

    Steve and Anne,
    Thanks for the helpful replies. The plot thickens: I have seen one other app
    just disappear, so it would seem it is bigger than just a PowerPoint issue.
    I'll post back if I make any great discoveries.

    --Ian

    Guest, Dec 9, 2005