    I did enable remote desktop at the host. People told me about firewall and port 3389 how do I do that and where..
    Please respond in not too technical terms, I am a first timer and don't speak c o m p... and I have no network administrator to ask either.
    Thank you

    Guest, Jan 2, 2004

  2. Kim wrote:
    > I have a dsl connected desktop at the office, a modem connected
    > laptop at home. When I try to connect it, I get the following
    > message: The client cannot connect to the remote computer. Remote
    > connection might not be enabled or computer might be too busy to
    > accept new connections. When I tried to find my IP address at the dsl
    > office one I got two: ethernet ip and ppp adapter ip, which one do I
    > use.
    > It also asks for user id and passwoed, is that the id I log into my
    > office comp with and my password there or do I have to set up new
    > ones... or else?
    > I did enable remote desktop at the host. People told me about
    > firewall and port 3389 how do I do that and where...
    > Please respond in not too technical terms, I am a first timer and
    > don't speak c o m p... and I have no network administrator to ask
    > either.

    If you have your Windows XP ICF (Internet Connection Firewall) turned on for
    your office PC (you should if you do not) - the firewall configuration
    already has a built in check-box to allow you to open the correct ports for
    the default Remote Desktop setup. See this web page:

    http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/ports.asp

    Scroll down to the instructions and you should see the checkbox I speak of
    for "Remote Desktop". Check it. (Again - assumes you have the firewall ON,
    and you SHOULD.)

    You need the IP of the machine you are connecting TO.. not from.
    You need Windows XP Professional. XP Home will not allow this type of
    connection.

    For more information, a Microsoft search (and a Google search) brought up:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315328

    Good Luck!

    Shenan Stanley, Jan 3, 2004

  3. One easy way to get your public IP address is to browse to the
    http://www.whatismyip.com from the computer at the office (before you
    leave). This will give you your public IP address.

    From that point, it depends on your setup. If you have a router, you
    must forward TCP 3389 there to the ethernet IP of your office
    computer. Post back with a bit more details of what all is involved
    in your office connection and we can give a bit more feedback.

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    Smart Display Support - http://www.smartdisplays.net

    Jeffrey Randow (MVP), Jan 4, 2004
  4. We need to find a better URL for this service, if possible. Someone posted
    CHECKMYIP.COM, but it is located in AU, and requires ActiveX to run, so it
    is rather slow to load and then doesn't work in my present browser anyway!

    WhatismyIP has pretty obnoxious ads--there must be something better. I
    suppose we could use GRC, but......

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <> wrote
    in message news:...

    Bill Sanderson, Jan 4, 2004

    http://www.myip.com/

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Shenan Stanley, Jan 4, 2004
  6. I don't notice ads anymore with my browser (MyIE2), so I haven't been
    paying attention anymore...
    :)

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    Smart Display Support - http://www.smartdisplays.net

    Jeffrey Randow (MVP), Jan 5, 2004

    Hi,
    I have tried everything everybody was so kind to help me with.
    I figured out my IP address, set the firewall and port 3389 but if I want to connect I still get this message: : The client cannot connect to the remote computer. Remote connection might not be enabled or computer might be too busy to accept new connections…

    when it is time to enter the computer name, browse for another computer there is none to choose from. Aren,t I supposed to get my office computer in that scrollbar and if, how.

    I also get this message if I use the log on window.: Verifying username and password …
    Error 691 access was denied because the username and /or password was invalid on the domain...

    what is left I can do ....

    Please don,t give up on me.

    Guest, Jan 5, 2004
  8. That qualifies!

    and I might even be able to remember it--thanks.

    Bill Sanderson, Jan 6, 2004
  9. Nope, you won't be able to browse for the computer name via the drop
    down box. This is for enterprises who support terminal servers.

    As for the other error, make sure you supply a username and password
    that are valid on the machine you are connecting to, which may or may
    not be valid for the computer you are currently using.

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    Smart Display Support - http://www.smartdisplays.net

    Jeffrey Randow (MVP), Jan 6, 2004

    rotund Guest

    I am in the same boat as you are. I cannot connect to my home machin
    running XP Pro SP1 from work, but I can successfully use Remote Deskto
    from my home machine to my machine at the office. I have removed Zon
    Alarm Pro, turned off MS Internet Connection Firewall ( I am no
    comfortable with that but there it is) and traffic on 3389 is set t
    pass through the D-Link dsl router. So far nothing I have tried wil
    work. I know that the router is passing traffic on port 3389 since
    can RDC to the office from this machine. Any suggestions?

    John

    rotun

    rotund, Jan 29, 2004
  11. Nat's pass all traffic outbound, but block unsolicited traffic inbound.

    Connecting outbound doesn't mean you will be able to connect inbound without
    setting the router to allow the inbound connection. Take a look at the html
    admin for the router--its either called port forwarding or virtual servers.

    Bill Sanderson, Feb 3, 2004