  1. RonB

    RonB Guest

    Re: {POLL} Windows Vista vs. Linux ? Worth the upgrade ? Worth the switchover ?

    On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 14:47:16 -0500, Nedd Ludd wrote:

    > Does Open Office have a Grammar Checker?
    >
    > Didn't think so.

    Does anyone actually use a Grammar Checker? I had one for WordStar 5 way
    back when, tried it out -- maybe twice. Found out that it suggestions were
    stupid. (I'm sure it wouldn't have liked that last sentence.)

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

    RonB, Feb 11, 2007

  2. RonB

    On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 15:53:25 -0500, Susan Bugher wrote:

    > Nedd Ludd wrote:
    >
    >> "J.O. Aho" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> : No point int trying to make MSO to work, you have OpenOffice, which does
    >> the
    >> : job for you and offers features that MSO don't.
    >>
    >> Does Open Office have a Grammar Checker?
    >>
    >> Didn't think so.

    > http://members.forbes.com/fyi/2000/1113/Spell-Check_9-28.html

    Good link. So true.

    RonB, Feb 11, 2007

  3. RonB

    On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 22:26:10 +0100, Stephan Rose wrote:

    > Downloading kubuntu DVD right now...after trying ubuntu gonna check
    > that version out and see how I like it.

    Ubuntu uses Gnome, Kubuntu uses KDE. As far as I can tell that's the only
    difference. I tried both, but I like KDE better, so if I went with an
    xBuntu, it would be Kubuntu. I kind of like the idea of keeping the
    distribution down to one disk this way.

    RonB, Feb 11, 2007
  4. RonB

    On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 22:39:04 +0100, Stephan Rose wrote:

    > Hmm...i do have one question about this, as this all still kind of
    > confuses me a little bit.
    >
    > I realize that they are different GUIs but what does this mean for me
    > from a developer perspective?
    >
    > I am currently porting one of my major apps to be cross-platform and
    > once it is reasonably functional again I will try it out on linux to
    > see how it performs.
    >
    > But do I actually have to take what flavor GUI someone is running into
    > account as far as my code goes?
    >
    > I am using wxWidgets now for my UI code which should solve my problems
    > but the whole deal still confuses me a little bit.
    >
    > Having done nothing but windows development all my life, entering new
    > and unknown territories here. =)

    I'm not a programmer, so I can't really answer your question. Hopefully a
    few programmers here will do so. I'm pretty sure, though, that you can
    download and install Gnome on Kubuntu or KDE on Ubuntu -- many of the
    Linux distributions provide both and it's just a matter of choosing which
    you want to use when you login.

    Sorry I can't be of any more help.

    RonB, Feb 11, 2007
  5. Considering what I've read in regards to Windows Vista in newsgroups
    recently (both positive and negative) I'm just curious how many users
    are going to dump Windows for Linux rather than upgrade to Windows Vista
    ? Comments ? Flames ?

    How many users are going to make Windows 2K/XP (or even ME) their last
    version of Windows and simply make the switch rather than upgrade vista?

    I've already started the move over myself; currently tripple booting 2
    version of linux and windows xp MCE (simply for the fact I need the
    programs my school uses but once support runs out for XP I'm done with
    Windows). I just bought my computer in October and it says that its
    Windows Vista Ready but I doubt that very much from what I've read. :)

    Of course I'm not going to use any version of Linux that has the Oracle
    label on it as Oracle is just as bad as Microsoft.

    -Woodzy
    http://www.rtdos.com

    proteanthread, Feb 11, 2007
  6. RonB

    On Feb 11, 10:07 am, proteanthread <rtdos@rtdos> wrote:
    > Considering what I've read in regards to Windows Vista in newsgroups
    > recently (both positive and negative) I'm just curious how many users
    > are going to dump Windows for Linux rather than upgrade to Windows Vista
    > ? Comments ? Flames ?
    >
    > How many users are going to make Windows 2K/XP (or even ME) their last
    > version of Windows and simply make the switch rather than upgrade vista?
    >
    > I've already started the move over myself; currently tripple booting 2
    > version of linux and windows xp MCE (simply for the fact I need the
    > programs my school uses but once support runs out for XP I'm done with
    > Windows). I just bought my computer in October and it says that its
    > Windows Vista Ready but I doubt that very much from what I've read. :)
    >
    > Of course I'm not going to use any version of Linux that has the Oracle
    > label on it as Oracle is just as bad as Microsoft.
    >
    > -Woodzyhttp://www.rtdos.com

    Keeping win2k on my old Dell Laptop. I may move to Vista on my more
    modern computer wit 2GB of ram and a decent 128MB video card. But I'm
    biding my time to see what issues Vista brings.

    At some point, I'll have to support vista, so I'll be forced to a move
    on my home system sooner.

    I tried Ubuntu 6 and do like it, but it's still not prime time.

    , Feb 11, 2007
  7. RonB

    Stephan Rose Guest

    Re: {POLL} Windows Vista vs. Linux ? Worth the upgrade ? Worth the switchover ?

    On 11 Feb 2007 10:33:03 -0800, "" <>
    wrote:

    >On Feb 11, 10:07 am, proteanthread <rtdos@rtdos> wrote:
    >> Considering what I've read in regards to Windows Vista in newsgroups
    >> recently (both positive and negative) I'm just curious how many users
    >> are going to dump Windows for Linux rather than upgrade to Windows Vista
    >> ? Comments ? Flames ?
    >>
    >> How many users are going to make Windows 2K/XP (or even ME) their last
    >> version of Windows and simply make the switch rather than upgrade vista?
    >>
    >> I've already started the move over myself; currently tripple booting 2
    >> version of linux and windows xp MCE (simply for the fact I need the
    >> programs my school uses but once support runs out for XP I'm done with
    >> Windows). I just bought my computer in October and it says that its
    >> Windows Vista Ready but I doubt that very much from what I've read. :)
    >>
    >> Of course I'm not going to use any version of Linux that has the Oracle
    >> label on it as Oracle is just as bad as Microsoft.
    >>
    >> -Woodzyhttp://www.rtdos.com

    >Keeping win2k on my old Dell Laptop. I may move to Vista on my more
    >modern computer wit 2GB of ram and a decent 128MB video card. But I'm
    >biding my time to see what issues Vista brings.

    128MB?? I doubt that'll be enough...

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    kimi no koto omoidasu hi nante nai no wa
    kimi no koto wasureta toki ga nai kara

    Stephan Rose, Feb 11, 2007
  8. RonB

    Guest

    Re: {POLL} Windows Vista vs. Linux ? Worth the upgrade ? Worth the switchover ?

    On Feb 11, 10:42 am, Stephan Rose <>
    wrote:
    > On 11 Feb 2007 10:33:03 -0800, "" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >On Feb 11, 10:07 am, proteanthread <rtdos@rtdos> wrote:
    > >> Considering what I've read in regards to Windows Vista in newsgroups
    > >> recently (both positive and negative) I'm just curious how many users
    > >> are going to dump Windows for Linux rather than upgrade to Windows Vista
    > >> ? Comments ? Flames ?

    > >> How many users are going to make Windows 2K/XP (or even ME) their last
    > >> version of Windows and simply make the switch rather than upgrade vista?

    > >> I've already started the move over myself; currently tripple booting 2
    > >> version of linux and windows xp MCE (simply for the fact I need the
    > >> programs my school uses but once support runs out for XP I'm done with
    > >> Windows). I just bought my computer in October and it says that its
    > >> Windows Vista Ready but I doubt that very much from what I've read. :)

    > >> Of course I'm not going to use any version of Linux that has the Oracle
    > >> label on it as Oracle is just as bad as Microsoft.

    > >> -Woodzyhttp://www.rtdos.com

    > >Keeping win2k on my old Dell Laptop. I may move to Vista on my more
    > >modern computer wit 2GB of ram and a decent 128MB video card. But I'm
    > >biding my time to see what issues Vista brings.

    > 128MB?? I doubt that'll be enough...

    That's the spec for running Aero. Worst case scenerio is I get a
    radeon 9250, or chose not to run areo.

    > --
    > Stephan
    > 2003 Yamaha R6
    >
    > kimi no koto omoidasu hi nante nai no wa
    > kimi no koto wasureta toki ga nai kara

    , Feb 11, 2007
  9. RonB

    Sid Knee Guest

    proteanthread wrote:

    > ? Comments ? Flames ?

    This (microsoft.public.win2000.general) doesn't seem like a particularly
    appropriate forum for this.

    .... oh, I see you spammed it widely .... plonk!

    Sid Knee, Feb 11, 2007
  10. RonB

    7 Guest

    proteanthread wrote:

    > Considering what I've read in regards to Windows Vista in newsgroups
    > recently (both positive and negative) I'm just curious how many users
    > are going to dump Windows for Linux rather than upgrade to Windows Vista
    > ? Comments ? Flames ?

    Start with LiveCDs - they run from CD and don't need to be installed.

    http://www.livecdlist.com
    http://www.distrowatch.com

    Micoshaft crap is second rate sub standard resource
    hogging laptop power wasting product compared newly
    released Beryl running on various Linuxes such as Ubuntu.

    Downloaded the very latest beta release of Ubuntu (Feisty Fawn)...
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/feisty/herd-3/

    Install Beryl using the 3 click guide which links from here...
    http://wiki.beryl-project.org/wiki/Install_Beryl_on_Ubuntu

    And so after 3 clicks, suddenly you have Beryl up and running on your PC!!!

    7, Feb 11, 2007
  11. RonB

    J.O. Aho Guest

    proteanthread wrote:
    > Considering what I've read in regards to Windows Vista in newsgroups
    > recently (both positive and negative) I'm just curious how many users
    > are going to dump Windows for Linux rather than upgrade to Windows Vista
    > ? Comments ? Flames ?

    I haven't used microsoft on my machines since 98/99, life for me is simpler
    with GNU/Linux and I can use the same distro on all my computers, regardless
    that I have Sparc, PowerPC, x86 and x86_64, while microsoft never done for
    Sparc and the PowerPC version hasn't been supported in at least 10 years and
    there is no full true x86_64 version, so it's not an ideal operating system to
    use.

    Vista is just DRM, and I doubt SP1 will make it any more useful, you get a lot
    more eye candy using Beryl on a GNU/Linux distribution.

    > How many users are going to make Windows 2K/XP (or even ME) their last
    > version of Windows and simply make the switch rather than upgrade vista?

    As I see, 2K was the only good version, except the rock stable 1.01, I don't
    see that people do get an upgrade to get past the 2K, they just add on extra
    CPU cycles that could have been used in real work.

    > I've already started the move over myself; currently tripple booting 2
    > version of linux and windows xp MCE (simply for the fact I need the
    > programs my school uses but once support runs out for XP I'm done with
    > Windows). I just bought my computer in October and it says that its
    > Windows Vista Ready but I doubt that very much from what I've read. :)

    It's no way to use a computer to have to reboot to use another application,
    single boot is the way to go, if needed, vmware/win4lin/bochs/qemu/wine will
    do the work and you don't lose the security.

    > Of course I'm not going to use any version of Linux that has the Oracle
    > label on it as Oracle is just as bad as Microsoft.

    It's only Oracles version of RedHat Enterprise that is Oracle labeled.
    The big difference between microsoft and Oracle is that I can use their
    software for development for free, that I would never be able to do with
    microsoft.

    --

    //Aho

    J.O. Aho, Feb 11, 2007
  12. RonB

    Greg Rozelle Guest

    On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 11:07:55 -0700, proteanthread <rtdos@rtdos> wrote:

    >Considering what I've read in regards to Windows Vista in newsgroups
    >recently (both positive and negative) I'm just curious how many users
    >are going to dump Windows for Linux rather than upgrade to Windows Vista
    >? Comments ? Flames ?
    >
    >How many users are going to make Windows 2K/XP (or even ME) their last
    >version of Windows and simply make the switch rather than upgrade vista?
    >
    >I've already started the move over myself; currently tripple booting 2
    >version of linux and windows xp MCE (simply for the fact I need the
    >programs my school uses but once support runs out for XP I'm done with
    >Windows). I just bought my computer in October and it says that its
    >Windows Vista Ready but I doubt that very much from what I've read. :)
    >
    >Of course I'm not going to use any version of Linux that has the Oracle
    >label on it as Oracle is just as bad as Microsoft.
    >
    >-Woodzy
    >http://www.rtdos.com

    Actually I would of consider a linux, however I am thinking of going
    with a Mini-Mac way in the future. I think you can get Microsoft
    Office/word to work with a Mac.

    Greg Rozelle

    Greg Rozelle, Feb 11, 2007
  13. RonB

    J.O. Aho Guest

    Greg Rozelle wrote:

    > Actually I would of consider a linux, however I am thinking of going
    > with a Mini-Mac way in the future. I think you can get Microsoft
    > Office/word to work with a Mac.

    No point int trying to make MSO to work, you have OpenOffice, which does the
    job for you and offers features that MSO don't. On top of all, it does work
    natively in quite many OSes.

    --

    //Aho

    J.O. Aho, Feb 11, 2007
  14. Re: {POLL} Windows Vista vs. Linux ? Worth the upgrade ? Worth the switchover ?

    wrote:

    >> 128MB?? I doubt that'll be enough...

    > That's the spec for running Aero. Worst case scenerio is I get a
    > radeon 9250, or chose not to run areo.

    You'll completely out of luck with that video card! Vista doesn't work with
    video cards smaller than 256 Mb despite what the "hardware compatibility
    list" tells you. It's also horribly slow with less than 1 Gb of RAM, and
    is still slower than a Gnome desktop with Beryl even when you throw 2 Gb at
    the problem.

    C.

    Nedd Ludd, Feb 11, 2007
  16. RonB

    Craig Guest

    proteanthread wrote:
    > I'm just curious how many users are going to dump Windows for Linux
    > rather than upgrade to Windows Vista

    [NB I find it amusing that you've posted to linux advocacy]

    Short answer: MS OS out, *nix in.

    For business:
    We'll have to know how to admin Vista eventually at the very least
    because we've business partners who'll most likely go that route. So,
    Vista will be in-house sooner than later. Having said that,

    Our plan is to convert our win2k systems over to some flavor of *nix by
    2nd quarter of 2008. XP's timeline depends on our relative success
    w/the win2k conversion. The goal is to have none of our business
    systems running on MS OS by 2nd quarter of 2009.

    We like debian-based systems for apt-get and keep circling back to
    Ubuntu for clients. We'll be trying Freespire once 2.0 hits because
    we're wary of the . FreeBSD is the dark horse: more stable and much
    better documentation & support than any linux disto I've come across.
    The problem is component support (our boxes are varying models/manuf's).
    A roll out looks like it'd be substantially more time-consuming.

    For home:
    The plan is to use my family for a dry-run on the business plan. <g>
    Goal is a non-MS house by end of this year. So, as above but, sooner.

    -Craig

    Craig, Feb 11, 2007
  17. RonB

    KonradK Guest

    proteanthread wrote:

    > Considering what I've read in regards to Windows Vista in newsgroups
    > recently (both positive and negative) I'm just curious how many users
    > are going to dump Windows for Linux rather than upgrade to Windows
    > Vista ? Comments ? Flames ?

    I am not going change over to Vista because:
    1) There are no any new features that I may need.
    2) I am not going to watch any protected Bluray/HDDVD movies on the PC
    so no need DRM support.

    I am moving my TWO computers to Linux. I am still looking for the best
    distro and so far Kubuntu seems to be a good choice. My older pc is
    allready with linux - Kubuntu. For LESS powerfull computer I recommend
    xubuntu - will work perfectly on even 800Mhz CPU with 256 of RAM.

    BTW I am linux newbie and all this seems to be challenging... but I'd
    rather this sort of challenge than to be frustrated if I land up for
    years with operating system I do not like.

    Have a nice day
    Konrad |<

    KonradK, Feb 11, 2007
  18. Re: {POLL} Windows Vista vs. Linux ? Worth the upgrade ? Worth the switchover ?

    On Feb 11, 12:47 pm, "Nedd Ludd" <> wrote:
    > "J.O. Aho" <> wrote in message

    > : No point int trying to make MSO to work, you have OpenOffice, which does
    > the
    > : job for you and offers features that MSO don't.
    >
    > Does Open Office have a Grammar Checker?
    >
    > Didn't think so.

    don't need one. :)

    proteanthread, Feb 11, 2007
  19. RonB

    DanS Guest

    Re: {POLL} Windows Vista vs. Linux ? Worth the upgrade ? Worth the switchover ?

    proteanthread <rtdos@rtdos> wrote in

    > Considering what I've read in regards to Windows Vista in newsgroups
    > recently (both positive and negative) I'm just curious how many users
    > are going to dump Windows for Linux rather than upgrade to Windows Vista
    > ? Comments ? Flames ?
    >
    > How many users are going to make Windows 2K/XP (or even ME) their last
    > version of Windows and simply make the switch rather than upgrade vista?

    Question 2 is more realistic. Noone says you need to upgrade to Vista, but
    the OEMs will force it on the public.

    DanS, Feb 11, 2007
  20. Re: {POLL} Windows Vista vs. Linux ? Worth the upgrade ? Worth theswitchover ?

    Craig wrote:

    > [NB I find it amusing that you've posted to linux advocacy]
    >
    > Short answer: MS OS out, *nix in.

    Its not just the fact that Microsoftless security is a pain (security is
    proactive instead of passive as Microsoft would like you to believe) nor
    the fact that Vista has tons of eye candy (KDE and other *nix desktops
    have plenty if not better) nor the fact that Vista has this or that
    feature which I can already get through freeware or open source (and
    sometimes better than that offered by built into Windoze by Microsoft)
    but its the fact that Microsoft keeps telling me what I need and how I
    need it configured. There is NOTHING in Vista that I need or want that
    I can't get already on my Windows machine now using freeware or open
    sourced software (or that I don't already have on my *nix setup).

    Man, it makes one wish for the daze of the eight bits when Tandy's, TI's
    , Atari's, and Commodore's ruled the world. :)

    -Woodzy
    http://www.rtdos.com

    proteanthread, Feb 11, 2007