Pls help noobie generate a whole buncha permutations

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]how can the permutations of 40 objects, 2 at a time, be generated, viewed and copied in excel 2003
[ or in any permutation generator program ]?

the 40 objects are: the 26 alphabet letters, plus ?, @, #, $, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9.

on the monitor screen i want to view and copy the output of 1600 permutations of 2 objects each
[ including, if possible, the "doubles?" like 'aa', 'bb'...'99' ]
[ as if i were to do a matrix by hand, on paper, with the 40 objects across the top and also down the right side.
the 1st few matrix cells would contain 'aa', 'ab', 'ac'... and so on thru to ... '97', '98' and '99' in the last few cells ]

i have moderate pre-calculus math skills. as an excel and permutation noobie
i've been seeking this output for several hours now, [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]unsuccessfully[/FONT].

I want to use this set of permutations to rank the frequency of sound occurrences in spoken english.

And this will help me to better coach learners to improve their english pronunciation.

thank you very much, in advance, for your kind help,
in an understandable "beginner level" explanation.

kind regards,

yeehaw [/FONT]

Reaction score
yeehawcw,

For this formula, I will assume that your objects are entered in column A and row 1.

In B2, enter in "=$A2&B$1". This will produce the result "aa". You can now position your cursor at the bottom right corner of B2 and "stretch" the formula to the right until you have reached the end of your pre-entered objects. Now, with all of those cells still highlighted, again position the mouse cursor at the bottom right corner of your selection and "stretch" the formula down to the bottom.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Ask a Question