    Any help would be very much appreciate

    --
    escape

    escape, Jul 30, 2007

  2. escape

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I am being hit with an 888.com popup which I can't seem to stop.

    Only download software you can validate as uncompromised - in the case
    of non-vendor site you have no guarantee that the files are unmodified
    or uncompromised. Anyone providing a link to a non-vendors site with a
    direct download should not be trusted, the vendors sites are the safest
    place to download their application.

    No person of sound mind would download files from a hack site that
    requires a password to access the unknown files when they are available
    directly from the vendors.

    Always remember - only download files from Trusted Sites.

    The following links will take you to vendors sites for Spy Ware / Ad
    ware removal tools and also for Antivirus tools. After you install any
    of these applications and update them, run them in SAFE MODE to allow
    them to properly clean your system.

    First, make sure that your Java is updated to the latest version:
    http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

    These sites are for downloading Anti-Malware and Anti-Spyware tools, in
    order that I would use them myself:

    Dave Lipman's tools:
    Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --
    http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

    AdAwareSE can be found here:
    http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

    SpyBot Search and Destroy can be found here:

    SmitRem.exe by Noahdfear's SmitFraud, SpyAxe, SpyFalcon, removal tool
    http://noahdfear.geekstogo.com/click counter/click.php?id=1

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

    Leythos, Jul 30, 2007

  3. escape

    Bob Harris Guest

    Besides the suggestions provided by the preivous reply, you might try installing an ad-avoidance "hosts" file.

    "hosts" is usually found in "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc". But, it may be very small and contain almost nothing.

    If you place a web address in the hosts file, then equate that to IP address 127.0.0.1, that will point back to your PC.

    For example, my hosts file includes the following line:
    127.0.0.1 free.888.com

    Note that lines that begin with "#" in the hosts file are comments.

    You can get a free hosts file that block many, many popups and ads at: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    The one problem with using hosts to block popups is that some popups are required for some websites to function. For example, I can not view video clips on foxnews.com, unless I unblock a few addresses related to doubleclick ads. That can be done by simply adding "#" to the line in the hosts file.

    Bob Harris, Jul 31, 2007