Please insert the disk: 1 message

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 MSI' started by John Turner, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. John Turner

    John Turner Guest

    Hi,

    Please could you comment on the following error...

    MSI (s) (CC:0C): File: C:\Program Files\Stack Limited\Shared
    Files\StackNet32.dll; Overwrite; No patch; Existing file is a lower
    version
    MSI (s) (CC:0C): Source for file 'StackNet32.dll' is uncompressed, at
    'E:\DISK1\program files\Stack Limited\Shared Files\'.
    InstallFiles: File: StackNet32.dll, Directory: C:\Program Files\Stack
    Limited\Shared Files\, Size: 245760
    MSI (s) (CC:0C): Re-applying security from existing file.
    MSI (s) (CC:0C): Verifying accessibility of file: StackNet32.dll
    MSI (s) (CC:0C): Note: 1: 2203 2: E:\DataPro 3.0.0 Standard\Stack
    DataPro.msi 3: -2147287037
    MSI (s) (CC:0C): Source is incorrect. Unable to open or validate MSI package
    E:\DataPro 3.0.0 Standard\Stack DataPro.msi.
    MSI (s) (CC:0C): Note: 1: 2203 2: E:\DataPro 3.0.0 Standard\Stack
    DataPro.msi 3: -2147287037
    MSI (s) (CC:0C): Source is incorrect. Unable to open or validate MSI package
    E:\DataPro 3.0.0 Standard\Stack DataPro.msi.
    DEBUG: Error 2835: The control ErrorIcon was not found on dialog SetupError
    Internal Error 2835. ErrorIcon, SetupError

    The installer is performing a Minor Upgrade by default. The installed
    version of my product DataPro 3.0 was installed from a CDROM drive (D:\).
    This was an archive CDROM so the setup program wasn't on the root it was in
    a folder called 'DataPro 3.0.0 Standard'. The upgrade version DataPro 3.1
    was on a flash drive (E:\DISK1). The installer has built a path here that
    does not exist 'E:\DataPro 3.0.0 Standard\Stack DataPro.msi'. It seems to
    have taken the current directory drive (E:\) and appended the path of the
    original version 3.0 msi database (E:\DataPro 3.0.0 Standard).

    If all versions of a product are always in a root directory of the same name
    and the user always inserts the installation CDROM into the same drive this
    problem would never occur, however, this is not always the case.

    Many Thanks

    John

    John Turner, Feb 16, 2004

  2. The behavior you are seeing is expected. The Installer does not allow for
    different media sources to have the package at different locations. The package
    must be either at the root or in the subfolder. When in the subfolder, all media
    must use the same subfolder... and for that matter the same package name
    whenever you deal with small and minor upgrades.

    Whether or not the Installer looks for the package in a location other than the
    root of the CD depends upon the MEDIAPACKAGEPATH value. If you originally
    install from a CD where the MSI package is not at the root, the Installer will
    automatically determine the MEDIAPACKAGEPATH value and set it for you. If you
    however do not install from the original CD then you would need to set the
    property on the command line.

    Even given that, you can't change the location of the package on media (i.e. the
    MEDIAPACKAGEPATH value) between small and minor upgrades.

    For more information, consult the documentation on the MEDIAPACKAGEPATH property
    at <
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...en-us/msi/setup/mediapackagepath_property.asp
    >.

    Hope this helps,