Please help me chose a new case!!

Reaction score
This is my first post in this forum, which i discovered while searching for reviews on Lian li cases, so it seemed worthwhile using the discussion boards to help me decide (besides which, this has to be one of the best designed web sites I've seen for a long time).
I currently have a standard steel Antec mid tower ATX but have been hankering after a full tower aluminium case for a while. My main requirements are:
I want big so that i can work inside the case easily.
I'm not sure about the need for a mobo tray, as I keep hearing bad stuff about them like: you have to keep unplugging all the wires to open them up, and they can shift out of alignment if used frequently, etc...
So, I figured a full tower or server case might do the trick.
I want light-weight...hence, aluminium.
I want cool operating temperature...is aluminium all it's cracked up to be on that score?...and i want good airflow.
I want plenty of exposed bays for optical drives, asus Probe, Audigy Platinum EX pod, etc...
I don't want a see-through door and neon lights, as the case will sit under a desk, and I assumed the clear door might even undermine the heatsink effect of the aluminium (?).
I have room for a case height of 69cm, with no restrictions on width or depth.
Wheels would be good, but not essential.
Tool free assembly as far as possible.
At least 2 USB ports would be nice...and, er...I guess EMI shielding as standard.
Price not an issue.

So...there we are then...what do you reckon? The Lian Li PC7323A or the PC70 ? If the 7323A, any idea where I can get one in the UK and how much they cost?

Any alternative suggestions? (Like: go away, 1nteger, and stop asking so many bloody questions in a single post!!)

Any feedback would be most appreciated.

:crazy:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Well thanks for the nice comments ...

Ok, this is a personal opinion on cases.

I cannot see what all the "fuss" is about the Lian cases or Aluminium cases in general.

I buy my cases to do the job ... and I suppose that is really what your question is all about ... will the Lian live up to what has been written.

Again, in MHO there are better, cheaper alternatives around that will fit your needs. An example ... and under £35 and no, it's not Aluminium.

One of the best designed case I've personally used was the Dragon (DX-01W), made by Chieftech. Chieftech also make the Antec case but Antec put a nice PSU inside. Full spec's here

Just one UK supplier There are a whole host of others.

Ok, that's my say on cases, now to your Questions ... :D
"is aluminium all it's cracked up to be on that score"
... Nope!
"
...and I want good airflow"
Well that depends on what your going to "clutter-up" the insides with ... ribbon cables are a suggested airflow restriction, however, the only REAL alternative is to use SATA cables and no floppy drive = no floppy drive cable ... and NO ... I personally value my DATA to much to use rounded cables.
I want plenty of exposed bays for optical drives, Asus Probe, Audigy Platinum EX pod, etc...
I agree, need somewhere for the "gadgets" to reside. ;)

Now the biggest drawback is finding a UK supplier ... :crazy:

Mucks. :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I must admit, I love aluminium cases now :)

If cost really isn't an option, they are better than the standard steel/plastic counterparts (IMO mucks ;)), but.... they are alot more expensive. They would cost around £130 in the UK from places like www.theoverclockingstore.com and www.overclock.co.uk

I didnt know what the big fuss was with the Lian-Li cases until I got one, and it is much easier to work with inside - and is very well thought out.

The main reason for owning one though is the fact that they look amazing :)

Reaction score
LOL...seems like two opposing views then!

I reckon that I'm going to go for a Lian Li and I assumed around £150 for the PC70 (not interested in the PC75 with the glass panel etc for another £50).

But the bigger server case with the door...now that looks really nice...I guess I'll have to go direct to Lian Li sales via their web site.

Thanks for the feedback...;)

Ask a Question